DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Aug 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,066 of 4,422
Quote:
 You may be doing yourself an injustice if you are dedicating an amp to a pair of headphones.

Very well said!
I could not agree more, and would add "headphones or specific tubes."

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,067 of 4,422
Quote:
Quote:
 You may be doing yourself an injustice if you are dedicating an amp to a pair of headphones.

Very well said!
I could not agree more, and would add "headphones or specific tubes."

That is the fun of the journey, for me at least!

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #1,068 of 4,422
Four pin XLR goes into the K1000 socket, yes. Sennheiser's connectors from the cable to headphone aren't mini XLR but a Sennheiser proprietary connector.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,069 of 4,422
Quote:

Can you elaborate which technical aspects seem a step up for you?

No interstage caps-brings about the huge increase in detail, speed, soundstaging.
Partial-silver transformers.
4 2A3s in parallel-more power for speakers (what are the Stratuses speaker ratings anyway-I'm having a tough time finding to many detailed specifics on parts, etc on your site, Donald.) Btw-can you make it in fire truck red-thought I saw a pic once. I'd love to compare to the Levi when it arrives.

Mostly some subjectiveness based on purrin's reports though of the 2A3 vs Stratus, with the Status being more intimate and lush (not to a fault though), and the 2A3 (EC in general really), being much more spacious sounding, and more towards the solid state side of things, but still providing enough of that tube magic.

Also, I know the Stratus uses DHT heaters right?-can't seem to find those specifics either.

A Don't get me wrong Donald-I have been VERY curious about the Stratus, and may pick one up soon. What's the current wait time-if I order the 'fire truck' red? And, what's the cost increase for that?

-Daniel

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,070 of 4,422
Quote:
No interstage caps-brings about the huge increase in detail, speed, soundstaging.
4 2A3s in parallel-more power for speakers (what are the Stratuses speaker ratings anyway-I'm having a tough time finding to many detailed specifics on parts, etc on your site, Donald.) Btw-can you make it in fire truck red-thought I saw a pic once. I'd love to compare to the Levi when it arrives.

Mostly some subjectiveness based on purrin's reports though of the 2A3 vs Stratus, with the Status being more intimate and lush (not to a fault though), and the 2A3 (EC in general really), being much more spacious sounding, and more towards the solid state side of things, but still providing enough of that tube magic.

Also, I know the Stratus uses DHT heaters right?-can't seem to find those specifics either.

A Don't get me wrong Donald-I have been VERY curious about the Stratus, and may pick one up soon. What's the current wait time-if I order the 'fire truck' red? And, what's the cost increase for that?

-Daniel

LOL, pretty easy to find out that the Stratus does not power speakers, nor does it come in "fire truck" red. Where did you see that "pic"?

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,071 of 4,422
Keep lol'ing while I look for the 'pic'.

I thought there was a speaker tap option I read about. One more bullet point for the EC then. I'll look around for the 'red' pic-possibly it was on a Sonett or something someone had done...possibly it was a custom Headamp.

-Daniel

edit: Donald's site doesn't even have a 'pic' of the back of the amp that I can find. LOL

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,072 of 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know you haven't heard the Stratus, but have you heard the EC 2A3? 

Quote:
I thought there was a speaker tap option I read about. One more bullet point for the EC then. I'll look around for the 'red' pic-possibly it was on a Sonett or something someone had done...

-Daniel

Where are you reading about speaker tap options and red fire truck paint? Don't think in this thread, but I could be wrong. BTW, a speaker tap would come under the heading of a feature not a "technical benefit", so yes, the EC has that added feature. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,073 of 4,422
I've heard the 2A3 with the ac heaters yes. Not the new 42A3 though as it's not out yet.
Now that I've cleared it with you, Third-Eye, I'd rather let Donald take it from here if that's ok?

Donald-is there an OPTION for you to do a red Stratus by chance. Even if it's never been done before, and seems unfathomable to some-is it a possibility? I'm probably mistaken that I saw a red DNA (somehow I hope there's forgiveness for me for this error, and the speaker tap option I swear I read about, error #2 possibly)-but those horrors aside-just let me know if there's a possibility for that-I'd appreciate it! Also, the wait time/additional costs associated for such option(s). Thanks!

-Daniel

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,074 of 4,422
Quote:
I've heard the 2A3 with the ac heaters yes. Not the new 42A3 though as it's not out yet.
Now that I've cleared it with you, Third-Eye, I'd rather let Donald take it from here if that's ok?

Donald-is there an OPTION for you to do a red Stratus by chance. Even if it's never been done before, and seems unfathomable to some-is it a possibility? I'm probably mistaken that I saw a red DNA (somehow I hope there's forgiveness for me for this error, and the speaker tap option I swear I read about, error #2 possibly)-but those horrors aside-just let me know if there's a possibility for that-I'd appreciate it! Also, the wait time/additional costs associated for such option(s). Thanks!

-Daniel

red stratus!!! 

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,075 of 4,422
Quote:

-Daniel

Thanks for this info. I believe he's replacing the coupling capacitor with an interstage transformer.

Some background info: For my hi-fi system I have experimented over the past 20+ years with transformers in various applications (moving coil step-up, transformer volume control, etc) with mixed results. I found that most transformers lost some life, dynamics, resolution, and detail and only a few made with the best materials including pure silver windings could sound transparent. I have been running parallel single ended 2A3s in my speaker system since 1999 and this arrangement can sound very good. These were capacitor coupled with a silver foil capacitor. In 2008 I took the risk based on recommendation from a few close friends and upgraded them to new models with interstage transformers made with double C nickel cores and pure silver windings for the primary and secondary. I found they sounded better than my prior amps and that they didn't lose any detail. From this experience, when I started developing the Stratus in 2010 the first few prototypes used a bifilar-wound interstage transformer with silicon steel EI core and copper windings to drive the 2A3. In theory this should be an ideal arrangement: high AC load impedance for the driver tube and low DC resistance to ground for the 2A3 grid. It measured well on the AP and sounded good, however in comparison to some other amps on hand it didn't have the same resolving power, glossing over the microdynamics and subtle textures of individual musical instruments in the recording. I then reluctantly removed the interstage transformer and replaced it with plate and grid loading resistors and a coupling capacitors and immediately the resolution and detail improved. Thinking back, this didn't surprise me from my experience with transformers described earlier. Further listening comparisons and parts exchanges lead to the final selection of coupling capacitor, plate and grid loading resistors used in production. For the intended price point, I felt this was the best sounding arrangement I could make.

Thus, in my opinion for your Levi build I wouldn't use anything less than a Tango or Audio Note double C interstage transformer.

The Stratus was developed to be a headphone-only amplifier. The output transformers are specifically developed for this purpose. Adding speaker outputs would require new output transformers which, in my opinion, would compromise the headphone performance.

For the 2A3s I use an unregulated DC supply with hum-nulling potentiometer which you adjust by ear for each tube which helps balance the current through the tube and take the DC supply out of the signal path. I found this to be a good sounding solution.

I understand and appreciate your request to have an amplifier built in a custom color. I've decided to continue producing them only in the beautiful, high gloss blue. The color and styling are part of the overall user experience I'm offering and would like to keep it consistent for everyone.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,076 of 4,422
Quote:

Thanks for this info. I believe he's replacing the coupling capacitor with an interstage transformer.

Some background info: For my hi-fi system I have experimented over the past 20+ years with transformers in various applications (moving coil step-up, transformer volume control, etc) with mixed results. I found that most transformers lost some life, dynamics, resolution, and detail and only a few made with the best materials including pure silver windings could sound transparent. I have been running parallel single ended 2A3s in my speaker system since 1999 and this arrangement can sound very good. These were capacitor coupled with a silver foil capacitor. In 2008 I took the risk based on recommendation from a few close friends and upgraded them to new models with interstage transformers made with double C nickel cores and pure silver windings for the primary and secondary. I found they sounded better than my prior amps and that they didn't lose any detail. From this experience, when I started developing the Stratus in 2010 the first few prototypes used a bifilar-wound interstage transformer with silicon steel EI core and copper windings to drive the 2A3. In theory this should be an ideal arrangement: high AC load impedance for the driver tube and low DC resistance to ground for the 2A3 grid. It measured well on the AP and sounded good, however in comparison to some other amps on hand it didn't have the same resolving power, glossing over the microdynamics and subtle textures of individual musical instruments in the recording. I then reluctantly removed the interstage transformer and replaced it with plate and grid loading resistors and a coupling capacitors and immediately the resolution and detail improved. Thinking back, this didn't surprise me from my experience with transformers described earlier. Further listening comparisons and parts exchanges lead to the final selection of coupling capacitor, plate and grid loading resistors used in production. For the intended price point, I felt this was the best sounding arrangement I could make.

Thus, in my opinion for your Levi build I wouldn't use anything less than a Tango or Audio Note double C interstage transformer.

The Stratus was developed to be a headphone-only amplifier. The output transformers are specifically developed for this purpose. Adding speaker outputs would require new output transformers which, in my opinion, would compromise the headphone performance.

For the 2A3s I use an unregulated DC supply with hum-nulling potentiometer which you adjust by ear for each tube which helps balance the current through the tube and take the DC supply out of the signal path. I found this to be a good sounding solution.

I understand and appreciate your request to have an amplifier built in a custom color. I've decided to continue producing them only in the beautiful, high gloss blue. The color and styling are part of the overall user experience I'm offering and would like to keep it consistent for everyone.

Yep-I'm one of 5 that opted for the Tangos for our Levi. The AN quotes were...absurd.

About the color-I understand the importance of uniformity and brand name cohesiveness-I mistakenly thought I saw a custom one someone must have did on their own. I do like the blue-though in photos it seems to be all over the place. Apparently it's darker in person-which would be more up my alley.
beerchug.gif
 Thanks again for all the info.

-Daniel

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #1,077 of 4,422
Fejmonit, how do you find the pairing of dp-1 and stratus with Hd800? I noticed you are using the modded w4s dac2 instead. I am currently using dp-1 and HD800 too and am wondering if the stratus will match well with the dac and hp to give me a more preferred signature over GS-X MkII.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,079 of 4,422
Just curious, anything not good enough for your pairing of HD800 with GS-X mkii?

To be frank, I am not entirely sure as I have heard neither. Based on reviews or the lack of them for the GS-X, I am tilted towards a tube flavor for HD800 which may sound a bit distant and unforgiving at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back