DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 1, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #3,121 of 4,398
The OTL amplifiers like GOTL and Teton can definitely hit harder than the rest. As what jelt2359 mentioned, the bigger amplifiers like Studio, Ear Yoshino and WA5 do provide bigger soundstage. Status will never have the strongest bass nor the largest soundstage, but what it excels, is its clarity, flexibility with many headphones and the SET sound that brings you to enjoy the music. If money is no object to you, then grab a EC Studio or a DNA Stellaris!

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #3,123 of 4,398
  It will be very interesting to see how the Studio compares to the Stellaris.  I know there are a few impressions of the two floating around but it is all meet conditions and pretty short term.  Time will tell...

I haven't heard the Stellaris, but as a Studio owner, I can tell you that it is not the be-all and end-all of headphone amps that everyone thinks it is. It's not meant for everybody. As far as technicalities go, yes it is the best headphone amp I've heard to date and nothing even comes close. Think of it as the HD800 of amps.

However, because of its dead neutral and ruthlessly revealing nature, I wouldn't pair it with something like HD800. I would pick the DNA Stratus over EC Studio without a doubt if I were listening to HD800. On the other hand, the HD650 is an ideal pairing with Studio.

If Stellaris is basically an improved version of Stratus while retaining its sound signature, it may well be the best amp for HD800, and perhaps a worthy contender to Studio/HD650.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #3,124 of 4,398

I haven't heard the Stellaris, but as a Studio owner, I can tell you that it is not the be-all and end-all of headphone amps that everyone thinks it is. It's not meant for everybody. As far as technicalities go, yes it is the best headphone amp I've heard to date and nothing even comes close. Think of it as the HD800 of amps.

However, because of its dead neutral and ruthlessly revealing nature, I wouldn't pair it with something like HD800. I would pick the DNA Stratus over EC Studio without a doubt if I were listening to HD800. On the other hand, the HD650 is an ideal pairing with Studio.

If Stellaris is basically an improved version of Stratus while retaining its sound signature, it may well be the best amp for HD800, and perhaps a worthy contender to Studio/HD650.

I don't think it's the end-all, if that means that it works perfectly with all headphones. In fact, we did not even try to use the HD800 with the Studio.

With the HD800 we stuck to the Apex Teton and GOTL. Since the mini-meet I have also now moved the 3x 6bl7 replacement to the 6as7 to my Apex Teton and with the same tubes it clearly betters the GOTL. You'll have to ask Froger for more, but I had the impression he thought the GOTL was better for the HD800, than his Stratus. Before I fired up the OTL amps he told me that he had basically put his HD800 into storage, but when I plugged mine in he seemed surprised at what my setup could do for this headphone.

I haven't compared the HD650 or HD600 on the Apex Teton and EC Studio. I may try that some time.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #3,126 of 4,398
How did you guys use the Ear Yoshino v12 with headphones? The pictures of it shows it doesn't have a headphone output jack & is a power amp.
You use a preamp with it?

It's an integrated amp. Same way we use any other amp with the HE6 or other Planars.... Via an banana male to XLR female adaptor.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #3,127 of 4,398
  I have come across some interesting information in my effort to have my defective KR 2a3 replaced under warranty.  First, during the past 12 months both North American authorized distributors of KR audio tubes have dropped the product line.  I was told that ever since Mr. Kron passed away a few years ago, the quality of the tubes had deteriorated and that there were too many problems requiring replacements.  One source speculated that the company will be out of business within the next 12 months.

Second, since there is no one to help me here in the U.S., I have been attempting to contact KR Audio in the Czech Republic, but I have yet to receive any acknowledgement.  My dealer in Turkey, who I know is reputable, has been unwilling or unable to step in.  In other words, I am receiving no support and my warranty is useless.

The bottom line:  I have wasted $700 and am moving on.  I put my Sophia Princesses back in the Stratus, and they sound very nice even though they are slightly less detailed and open than the KRs.  The difference is minimal.  On the plus side, the Princesses have the benefit of a lower noise floor. 

I encourage everyone to avoid KR Audio products.  There are a sufficient number of good alternatives that come without the quality problems, extra expense, and hassle.  KR Audio is no longer a reputable company.

I have to agree....I'm on my second pair of KR audio 2a3 tubes and they are microphonic. I'm waiting for them to fail also, I have no confidence in them. I think the Sophia's are ultimately much better. I've spent a lot of time with these tubes now and although the ultimate detail is a touch shy of the KR audio's, they are quieter and have better overall balance and a bit more bass, which I like. As I said before, the sophia's also look a million dollars so can't recommend them highly enough. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #3,128 of 4,398

Really sorry to hear about problems with KR tubes. I replaced one pair due to microphonic and received a replacement pair that might have been slightly less so, but not sure. Initially, one of the tubes would develop a low hmmmm sound that would come in and out. Not noticeable in even quiet passages. But as I keep using them, it has gone away. The microphonics are not really a problem unless I bump the amp. To my ear, with LCD3fs they are crisp, clean, dynamic and punchy. I hope to try a pair of the Sophia Carbon Princess 300B 2.5 and see how they compare.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #3,129 of 4,398
On another subject - has anyone had a bit of time with the HE1000 v2 to express an opinion how it pairs with Stratus? I stayed away from HE-6 due to power issues. Is the HE1000 similar in that it may sound its best with more power than the Stratus delivers? Thinking about what to ask Santa for.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,130 of 4,398
  On another subject - has anyone had a bit of time with the HE1000 v2 to express an opinion how it pairs with Stratus? I stayed away from HE-6 due to power issues. Is the HE1000 similar in that it may sound its best with more power than the Stratus delivers? Thinking about what to ask Santa for.

The Stratus has plenty of power for the HE-1000.  There are several HE-1000 owners on this thread whose posts you can review.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #3,131 of 4,398
The Stratus has gobs and gobs of power.  Truthfully it can drive both the HE6's and Abyss with ease.  Consider this: the GSX MKII - considered an almost endlessly powerful headphone amp - delivers 0.914 watts into the 35 ohm HE1000, which is tonns.  The Stratus delivers 2.57 watts into that same load.  

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #3,132 of 4,398
2A3 does not disappoint, nicer than 300B
Built a stax amp from it, love the sound :smile:

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3,133 of 4,398
  The Stratus has gobs and gobs of power.  Truthfully it can drive both the HE6's and Abyss with ease.  Consider this: the GSX MKII - considered an almost endlessly powerful headphone amp - delivers 0.914 watts into the 35 ohm HE1000, which is tonns.  The Stratus delivers 2.57 watts into that same load.  

Thanks. Dear Santa....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back