DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #3,092 of 4,411

When I corresponded with Donald prior to buying my 422a, he told me there was a possibility I would hear a hum due to the design issue referenced above.  I am pleased to say that I have not had any issues.

Can you provide a sonic comparison between the 422A and the U52 in the Stratus as well as the complementary headphones, 2A3s and input tubes you use?  
My curiosity has been unfortunately piqued.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #3,093 of 4,411
  Can you provide a sonic comparison between the 422A and the U52 in the Stratus as well as the complementary headphones, 2A3s and input tubes you use?  

For a sonic comparison, I will quote @Dubstep Girl's massive rectifier review (http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread) because she describes the 422a and U52 far better than I ever could.  I completely agree with her characterizations of these tubes.  To my ears, the main difference is the U52 is a little warmer, which is why I believe she highlights the synergy with the HD800.

422a:

This is by far the best tube I have ever owned or heard. My reference tube. As with many of the rare holy grail super tubes out there, they are nearly perfect in every way. Hauntingly beautiful tone, lots of air, great layering, transparency above the rest, and just perfect extension in both the highs and lows, deep bass, palpable, lucid midrange, holographic 3D staging and imaging (like with the WA22 and Glenn OTL, the image is very life-like and out of head unreal good at times), amazing! Overall balance is great as its neither overly warm nor bright, transients and PRaT are as good as they get with tubes (like seriously, beautiful liquid transients!).

U52:

I think this would be the second best rectifier tube available. Performance is almost the same as the Western Electric 422A, perhaps only being a little warmer and having a more euphonic tone/timbre/decay. However, it maintains its speed, transparency, layering, soundstage, and imaging. Like the WE422A, it's pretty much nearly perfect in every way and maintains a sort of neutrality throughout. Warm tube sound but with extended air and treble, great staging, deep bass extension, very nice texture and decay as well. Absolutely zero grain with this tube, just like the WE422A, one of the best tubes out there! Sound-wise, it's very similar and shares the same British tone and sound signature of the GEC 6AS7G power tubes. Great synergy with Sennheiser HD 800. Just like the WE422A, this tube can really bring you to tears on the right music, so much magic in the sound of legendary tubes.

I was using KR 2a3's until one of them failed.  I am currently using the Sophia Princesses.  I find the KR's more neutral and transparent, although they are microphonic and not suitable for listening to quiet passages.  The Princesses are a bit warmer and less transparent, but they are completely silent.  They are an acceptable substitute, although I would like to find a 2a3 that is more akin to the KR sound.  (If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!)

I am using a Pearl Reflektor 6n1p-EV cryovalve for my input tube.

Headphone is HEK v.1 with a 16-wire copper litz cable.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #3,094 of 4,411
Thinking about finally pulling the trigger on a Stratus. I have had a Sonett almost seven years and still really like it...a lot. Has anyone directly compared the two recently? I'm only interested in how it sounds with the stock HD800 especially the bass. I'm really interested in buying one but have put it off, because it's almost impossible to find one to audition. Thanks. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #3,095 of 4,411
Just think to one thing : Everybody here have owned the Stratus for years. Most of us owned the Sonett and a few sold their stratus.... and ordered a Stellaris...  I think you can order blindly. no risk to be disappointed. Except if you want something really different from your Sonett . 

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #3,096 of 4,411
  I like you - the 6BQ7A is less costly than a cryo 6N1P-EV and the same goes for the u52 vs 422a 
beerchug.gif

The KR's are a scary thing for me for exactly the reason you state.  I don't mind biting the bullet and buying them, but I want them to work.  I have a lot more confidence in something like a NOS RCA mono plate from a reputable seller.

I've had the RCA monoplates for about 7 months and although I've been tempted by talk of the KR 2A3s, I just can't pry myself away from the monoplates. I have them paired with the GEC U52 rectifier and a Mazda 6BQ7A (my favorite input tube out of a host of them - I haven't heard the Pearl Reflektor or the Tunsgram 6BQ7A). The combination of body, tone, and transparency with detail this combo provides has left me uncharacteristically content. The RCA monos bring a degree of midrange palpability without an overly colored glow or warmth, and it works wonders with the HE1000.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #3,097 of 4,411
can any stratus owners comment on how it pairs with some other cans such as the akg k1000, k701, k550, k2xx and k340, jvc dx1000, sony cd3000, r10, and qualia, other orthos such as yamahas and fostex variants/mod jobs, senn hd 6xx & 800, beyers, various grados audio technicas, denons, and shures, stax via an adapter box, any iems, etc etc. tia.

Lol you legit predicted the Sennheiser HD 6XX from massdrop.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #3,098 of 4,411
  I've had the RCA monoplates for about 7 months and although I've been tempted by talk of the KR 2A3s, I just can't pry myself away from the monoplates. I have them paired with the GEC U52 rectifier and a Mazda 6BQ7A (my favorite input tube out of a host of them - I haven't heard the Pearl Reflektor or the Tunsgram 6BQ7A). The combination of body, tone, and transparency with detail this combo provides has left me uncharacteristically content. The RCA monos bring a degree of midrange palpability without an overly colored glow or warmth, and it works wonders with the HE1000.

Thanks for this!! It's good know!  What other 2A3's have you tired?

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #3,099 of 4,411
I would like to add the Sophia Carbon Princess 300b 2.5V to the discussion.  I think it is far superior to the KR Audio 2a3 (my prior favorite) and the Sophia Princess 2a3.

The sound is extremely rich and musical. It is very open and transparent with a big, holographic soundstage, beautiful and natural tone, and great extension in both the highs and the lows.  Midrange is sweet and lush.  Bass is full and tight with deep extension.  Treble is clean and extended.  Nice texture and excellent decay.

My tubes have <10 hours of use at the time of this post.  I can hear microphonic noise from mechanical tube expansion when I first power on the amp.  After 10 minutes or so of playing music, the tubes become dead silent.  I am told this issue is common for new tubes and that it will go away as they burn in.  Sophia will replace the tubes if the problem persists after 100 hours of break in.

When I listen to the KR 2a3 now, I find them boring.  They sound hollow and sterile compared to the Carbon Princess.  In my opinion, the 300b is far superior sonically in every way imaginable.  The only downside is they lack the pretty glow of the Princess 2a3 mesh plates since they have solid carbon plates.

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #3,100 of 4,411
Thanks for sharing!!  Is it possible that the KR's sound boring boring now because they are (possibly) more neutral and the 300B's have a exciting curve to them?  I wonder how they will fair over the long time.  I'm personally quite interested in these the Sophia's seem to be pretty well built modern tubes. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,101 of 4,411
  Thanks for sharing!!  Is it possible that the KR's sound boring boring now because they are (possibly) more neutral and the 300B's have a exciting curve to them?  I wonder how they will fair over the long time.  I'm personally quite interested in these the Sophia's seem to be pretty well built modern tubes. 

That's an interesting question, and it certainly could explain part of the difference, but I think there is much more going on than the curve alone.  With the 300b, the music is much more 'present' throughout the spectrum.  It is a completely different and superior listening experience in comparison to the KR 2a3.  Imagine being completely enveloped in rich, luscious, open sound with beautiful tone, texture, transparency, and detail.  I can't think of any other way to describe what I am hearing.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #3,102 of 4,411

That's an interesting question, and it certainly could explain part of the difference, but I think there is much more going on than the curve alone.  With the 300b, the music is much more 'present' throughout the spectrum.  It is a completely different and superior listening experience in comparison to the KR 2a3.  Imagine being completely enveloped in rich, luscious, open sound with beautiful tone, texture, transparency, and detail.  I can't think of any other way to describe what I am hearing.

That's a pretty strong endorsement for those tubes. Sure makes me want to try them out. Any thoughts on how they would pair with LCD3f phones that are already a little thick. Currently, the KRs are the tubes that seem to open them up the most. I think I saw that you have HE1000 but at one time had LDC3s. I'd appreciate your comments.

Also wonder if you have ever tried the Psvane WE275 tubes and how they might compare to the Sophias.

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #3,103 of 4,411

That's a pretty strong endorsement for those tubes. Sure makes me want to try them out. Any thoughts on how they would pair with LCD3f phones that are already a little thick. Currently, the KRs are the tubes that seem to open them up the most. I think I saw that you have HE1000 but at one time had LDC3s. I'd appreciate your comments.

Also wonder if you have ever tried the Psvane WE275 tubes and how they might compare to the Sophias.

You are correct...I did own the LCD-3f at one time.  Initially, I loved the bass, but after awhile, I wanted a more balanced sound.  I think the 300b would open up the LCD3s in the same way that I experienced with the HEK v.1, but my concern is that the bass could become overwhelming.  Whether you would be happy with that result depends on your personal tastes.

I have not heard the Psvane WE275s, but I discussed them with Donald recently.  Here is what he wrote:

"The WE275 will work in the Stratus and the Psvane version sounds good. They have a problem though: Of the 4pcs I have tested, 2 draw a lot of grid current which shifts the bias of the tube in the amplifier and will probably cause premature failure of the tubes. They need to improve their manufacturing quality and testing. So I am hesitant about recommending them, particularly since there is no US dealer for them, to my knowledge, and round trip shipping to/from China is costly."

Since you are located in the U.S., Sophia Electric will give you the opportunity to try the 300b for 2 weeks.  You would be responsible for shipping in both directions, assuming that you want to return them.  I encourage you to go that route so you can hear how they sound yourself.  Sue was very helpful.  You can reach her at sales@sophiaelectric.com.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #3,104 of 4,411

When I corresponded with Donald prior to buying my 422a, he told me there was a possibility I would hear a hum due to the design issue referenced above.  I am pleased to say that I have not had any issues.

I never had a hum issue on Stratus with a 422A.

I did some comparisons between a Westinghouse 422A and a GEC U52 using stock HD800s.  I was running Shuguang 2A3C-Ts and a new 6N1P-EV.  In that setup the on the HD800s, 422A beat the U52 hands down for imaging, layering, transparency, etc. The U52 just sounded flat\congested by comparison.  The difference in sound surprised the crap out of me actuall.  I suspected the U52 had something wrong with it although it probably it would improve on me if I spent more time with it.

I used the 422A on the Stratus at shows with the HD800s and with an HE-6, I enjoyed watching people's jaws drop open when they heard the set up.  Clarity and warmth in the midrange is just crazy.

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #3,105 of 4,411
There is no doubt that Utopia combines the best of HE1000 and HD800 without their flaws, and the outcome is a perfectly balanced sound which is highly detailed, musical and realistic.

But what about the soundstage? Im hearing the Utopia has a small almost squashed soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back