DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Oct 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #3,016 of 4,422
I have the SD mode on HD800. I do prefer HE1000 and Utopia over HD800 due to their tonality and bass.

Maybe also try Maxx134 Version 2.5 MODs at the other site, which IMO further improve he1k further. It offer slightly better treble, less laid back, better impact and similar staging. When I compared to he1k v2 at the store, I did prefer modded he1k v1, since v2 staging was still slightly more intimate (vocal seem more forward as well on v2).

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,017 of 4,422
Greetings everyone.  I bought @bigfatpaulie's Stratus over the summer and have done my share of tube rolling to find the best sound for my tastes.  I pair it with an Auralic Vega DAC and the HEK with a 16-wire Echo+ copper cable from plusSound.  The Echo+ cable and tubes had the most profound affect on sound in terms of bang for the buck.

Subsequently, I added Marigo Audio Mystery Feet for physical isolation and noticed a marginal improvement in the richness and texture of the sound.  My final tweek was to reduce the electrical noise associated with USB streaming from my NAS.  I bought a microRendu and JS-2 linear power supply, along with Blue Jeans Cable cat 6a and Venom USB cables, expecting only minimal change. 

Much to my surprise, the microRendu made a dramatic improvement.  The overall sound is much more transparent and precise with cleaner bass and extended (but not sibilant) treble.  Mids are richer.  I feel like I am listening to a new DAC that is an order of magnitude better than the Vega, which is no slouch.  I believe the microRendu is worthy of your consideration. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,018 of 4,422
.  I bought a microRendu and JS-2 linear power supply, along with Blue Jeans Cable cat 6a and Venom USB cables, expecting only minimal change. 

Much to my surprise, the microRendu made a dramatic improvement.  The overall sound is much more transparent and precise with cleaner bass and extended (but not sibilant) treble.  Mids are richer.  I feel like I am listening to a new DAC that is an order of magnitude better than the Vega, which is no slouch.  I believe the microRendu is worthy of your consideration. 

How does the JS-2 linear power supply bypass the internal power supply of the Stratus?

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,020 of 4,422
I love my new Wavelength Brick, V2 in my computer audio Stratus system.  It does 44.1/16.  Nothing else.  I'm in heaven.  I am also probably in the minority.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #3,021 of 4,422
What is a good source for the natural sound tubes? I have found a good price here, but don't know much about the company:

http://www.tube-sale.com/index.php/tubes/shuguang-nature-sound/shuguang-nature-sound-2a3-t/

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Peter.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3,022 of 4,422
I've bought all my shuguang and psvane tubes from this company. Good service and all tubes have been flawless ...most been using 1 year or more. I haven't specifically bought 2a3's from them, but have bought various el34's and 211's.

Stuart

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #3,024 of 4,422
Re: KR tubes. I reported that they were very microphonic in my Stratus and requested a replacement pair. The replacements were slightly less microphonic so I can only conclude this is the nature of these tubes in the Stratus (or maybe just my Stratus). In any event, I have experienced no failure and find them an excellent match with my LCD3s. They are very detailed, open and natural sounding to my ears. 

I have never found my KR audio 2a3 microphonic with HE1000, until I used them with Focal utopia. They can indeed be a little microphonic, I finally hear it as Focal utopia is more sensitive than HE1000.

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #3,025 of 4,422
I'm on my second pair of KR audio tubes and these are also microphonic. It is very marginal, but distracting and ultimately ruins these tubes for me. I really want to love them, but they are flawed IMHO.

I recently got the Sophia meshplate globe 2a3's and I'm extremely please with them. They are dead quiet and to my ears almost match the detail of the KR audio tubes. I find the SQ overall to be slightly better balanced with the Sophia's so I think they are currently my favourite tube with the Stratus. It doesn't hurt that they also look fantastic and are less than 1/2 the price of the KR audio tubes.

Stuart

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #3,026 of 4,422
I have never found my KR audio 2a3 microphonic with HE1000, until I used them with Focal utopia. They can indeed be a little microphonic, I finally hear it as Focal utopia is more sensitive than HE1000.

I also didn't have any microphonic issues with the KR with HEK or HD800. The most microphonic tubes I have are a pair of Sylvania 2A3 splate but even those aren't a problem if I don't touch the chassis.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #3,027 of 4,422

The KRs are the only 2A3s I have that are microphonic at all. It is not a problem, however and the longer I run them the microphonic seems to diminish.

I only have one pair of headphones - LCD3f. With these headphones, I have landed on two tube combos that I find the most musical and enjoyable - U52/KR2A3/Cryo Pearl Reflektor 6N1P OR - U52/Psvane WE275/Box Plate Novosibirsk 6N1P. The KR2A3 combo is, to my ears, more detailed and dynamic but the WE275 tubes are sooo sweet and smooth (the box plate 6N1P adds a little more detail and edge). I can understand why some like a 6BQ7 instead of 6N1P but, again to my ears, the sound gets too wet and tube, especially with the LCD3s. 

Also, I have noticed that my cryo pearl Reflektor tube looks identical to my 60's Novosibirsk 6N1Ps. I purchased another Reflector tube and noticed it looked identical to the Voskhod rocket 6N1P (that I don't like so much). So, my conclusion is that Reflektor tubes were made by more than one plant and my preference is the Novosibirsk version.

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #3,030 of 4,422
  I'm on my second pair of KR audio tubes and these are also microphonic. It is very marginal, but distracting and ultimately ruins these tubes for me. I really want to love them, but they are flawed IMHO.

I recently got the Sophia meshplate globe 2a3's and I'm extremely please with them. They are dead quiet and to my ears almost match the detail of the KR audio tubes. I find the SQ overall to be slightly better balanced with the Sophia's so I think they are currently my favourite tube with the Stratus. It doesn't hurt that they also look fantastic and are less than 1/2 the price of the KR audio tubes.

Stuart

They make the best looking mesh plates out there.  Just stunning!!  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Sopp
Back