DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Dec 19, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #4,096 of 4,358
Yes I have. I’ll try to respond this night about it but roughly the acme has a very airy clarity to them. Very detailed. I feel the EML solid plate is more neutral and more balanced but doesn’t do anything bad. I’m very happy with my EMLs but want to get another acme pair to compliment. FYI I did not have them at the same time.

You can’t go wrong with either one. I’ve heard the solid plates are more reliable than the mesh with headphones.
Thaks a lot! So i understand acme would be a bit brighter and EML warmer? Have You tried EML mesh? They are said to be a bit warmer tgannsolid state (at least in case of 45 type).

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #4,097 of 4,358
Comparing EML mesh 2A3 to Acme 2A3. - to my ears Acme is airier but thinner (not necessarily brighter). EML seems more natural, more body. Pairing Acme with EML 5U4G seems a good balance. And pairing EML 2A3 mesh with U52 maintains EML body but adds some airiness (my preference). I have had a number of other Psvane 2A3s that exhibited what I called sputtering sound while noticing the blue/purple light jumping around inside. I really liked the Psvane WR2A3's but couldn't seem to get a consistent pair. The KR2A3s have a similar sound but more reliable.

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #4,098 of 4,358
Comparing EML mesh 2A3 to Acme 2A3. - to my ears Acme is airier but thinner (not necessarily brighter). EML seems more natural, more body. Pairing Acme with EML 5U4G seems a good balance. And pairing EML 2A3 mesh with U52 maintains EML body but adds some airiness (my preference). I have had a number of other Psvane 2A3s that exhibited what I called sputtering sound while noticing the blue/purple light jumping around inside. I really liked the Psvane WR2A3's but couldn't seem to get a consistent pair. The KR2A3s have a similar sound but more reliable.
Many thanks, very helpful.

Dec 22, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #4,099 of 4,358
Just as a precaution, Donald does not suggest using KR 2a3 tubes as their specs are way off what a normal 2a3 tube is and the circuitry of the DNA amps.

I totally agree with the EML being more natural and balanced where no frequency range is highlighted to a crazy extent. I love how the acmes really highlight the top end with tons of sparkle and airy clarification. @bpiotrow13 if you can muster a pair of each, that would be best! They both are amazing tubes and I think most would be happy with either-or. Both Definitely a big step up over the stock psvane tubes Donald supplies when buying. My vintage Sylvania 2a3 are super warm and are unnecessary when the EML’s Do everything better by a couple degrees.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #4,100 of 4,358
Just as a precaution, Donald does not suggest using KR 2a3 tubes as their specs are way off what a normal 2a3 tube is and the circuitry of the DNA amps.

I totally agree with the EML being more natural and balanced where no frequency range is highlighted to a crazy extent. I love how the acmes really highlight the top end with tons of sparkle and airy clarification. @bpiotrow13 if you can muster a pair of each, that would be best! They both are amazing tubes and I think most would be happy with either-or. Both Definitely a big step up over the stock psvane tubes Donald supplies when buying. My vintage Sylvania 2a3 are super warm and are unnecessary when the EML’s Do everything better by a couple degrees.
Good to know about the KR2A3s. I have used them plenty with no problems but probably shouldn't push my luck with this new knowledge.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #4,101 of 4,358
Good to know about the KR2A3s. I have used them plenty with no problems but probably shouldn't push my luck with this new knowledge.
I’m sending mine to Donald so he can test and verify rather than rely on the spec sheet. I’ll report when I know more.

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #4,103 of 4,358
I’ve heard a lot of people using them with DNA amps but a few people told me about this problem with this tube series and I’ve been weary ever since. Maybe it’s not that big of a deal? Maybe better in other 2a3 amps? I hope to find out.

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #4,104 of 4,358
I’ve heard a lot of people using them with DNA amps but a few people told me about this problem with this tube series and I’ve been weary ever since. Maybe it’s not that big of a deal? Maybe better in other 2a3 amps? I hope to find out.
Looking through another post I see that KR makes /made two versions of 2A3. The KR2A3 and KR2A3HP (for high power and sold only in US). I wonder if the HP is the model out of spec. I will check back to see what genefruit finds out.

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #4,105 of 4,358
Looking through another post I see that KR makes /made two versions of 2A3. The KR2A3 and KR2A3HP (for high power and sold only in US). I wonder if the HP is the model out of spec. I will check back to see what genefruit finds out.
The kr2a3 hp is a tweaked version partnered with abyss of the regular kr2a3. I wonder what they did as it’s double the cost.

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #4,106 of 4,358
Hi guys, I just pickup a pair of Psvane Acme 2A3 as well. I find something interesting compare to the stock tubes, there is a 30 degree Celsius temperature differences between them (left is stock, right is Acme).
IRAY0002.jpg
IRAY0001.jpg

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #4,107 of 4,358
Hi guys, I just pickup a pair of Psvane Acme 2A3 as well. I find something interesting compare to the stock tubes, there is a 30 degree Celsius temperature differences between them (left is stock, right is Acme).
IRAY0002.jpgIRAY0001.jpg
What do you suppose is the significance of this finding, or is it just a cool thing to point out?

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #4,108 of 4,358
Might have to do with heat dissipation I am guessing, not an expert on vacuum tubes. Perhaps it will give a different sonic signature. I did heard differences between the stock vs Acme tubes.

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #4,109 of 4,358
I’m sending mine to Donald so he can test and verify rather than rely on the spec sheet. I’ll report when I know more.
Update from Donald

They’re higher current than a standard 2A3 and self bias in the amp to a reasonable operating point. Feel free share this good news with others interested in KRs. I’ve been listening to them and they sound really good – airy and extended and resolving.

Note: these are the High Performance version of the tube.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #4,110 of 4,358

Users who are viewing this thread

Back