DNA Stellaris
May 6, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #317 of 664
My computer headphone system and my Stratus system are both WyWires cables. Alex is a great guy. Just call him and discuss your needs.

May 6, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #318 of 664
Thanks for the power cable recommendations.
Joao Paulo Martins, are you using the 9 series or the 14. If the 9, is it too stiff to bend easily? I have limited space for the cable run between the amp and the wall. The 14 is more flexible, but I can't tell from the description and feedback if it is adequate for the Stellaris.

Claude W, thanks for the WyWires recommendation. I will take a look. I see you have vinyl, are you using it as a source for the Stratus?

May 6, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #319 of 664
Joao Paulo Martins, are you using the 9 series or the 14. If the 9, is it too stiff to bend easily? I have limited space for the cable run between the amp and the wall. The 14 is more flexible, but I can't tell from the description and feedback if it is adequate for the Stellaris.

Claude W, thanks for the WyWires recommendation. I will take a look. I see you have vinyl, are you using it as a source for the Stratus?
14 Series. Very flexible. I run my Nordost QB8 , PS Audio DirectStream and the Stellaris with them. Nice and cheap cables.

The interconnect I use Audioquest Red River XLR

I have experience with some expensive but it did not work for me.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #320 of 664
14 Series. Very flexible. I run my Nordost QB8 , PS Audio DirectStream and the Stellaris with them. Nice and cheap cables.

The interconnect I use Audioquest Red River XLR

I have experience with some expensive but it did not work for me.
Thanks, good to know. They have good feedback and the price is very reasonable.

I'm using a Purist Audio rca interconnect which I like very much. Much better than the XLR interconnects I have on hand, and the Stellaris is has only SE input. Does your Stellaris have both SE and Balanced input?

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #321 of 664

No. That is a separate system that is a Cary/Rega tube system and nothing but TG Audio Cables by the late Bob Crump. The amp is a Cary V12 with 12 EL 34s.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #322 of 664
I have only one complaint about the Stellaris, a lack of sleep caused by reluctance to stop listening!

As was mentioned, the Stellaris makes all headphones sound great. So far the Heddphones have taken on new dimensions of soundstage and presence. Thank you Donald!

May 10, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #323 of 664
May 11, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #324 of 664
I am the owner of one of the first handful of Stellaris amplifiers. I'm thinking of upgrading my headphones to a newer generation of cans. Does anyone have the Focal Clears? How do they sound? I'm really hesitant about this because I had a terrible experience with the HD-800. I did upgrade a very early pair of Audeze LCD-2s with fazors, and that was a big improvement, but they are falling (fell) apart, and all I have left are some HD-650s and AKG K7XX mass drop, so I think it's time to "modernize". I can't spend more than 1500 USD. I listen to a lot of classical music, and I love how the Stellaris resolves the instruments in large orchestral music (Sibelius, Bruckner and Mahler). But I am also into modern classical music that is both dissonant and dynamic. I am NOT a low bass lover, but I do care about how well headphones handle mid-bass in terms of tightness. The AKG K7XX actually do a very good job at this. In fact I confess to liking these cans a lot. Thanks for any help you can give me.

May 11, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #325 of 664
The Stellaris won't change the fundamental nature of the headphones. I liked neither the hd800 nor Focal Stellia, both too bright. Both are technically superb, but I couldn't listen to them for more than 30min. Eq helps. I have yet to find something that is truly superior to the hd650 in all regards. Give the ZMF a try, might be to your liking. Auteur or Verite. I like the Verite a lot, have the closed version because I use them at work. HD650 and Stellaris on a good source is end game except in the bass area. I don't like bright headphones so the only setup I'd take over stellaris hd650/Verite is the HE90. Tried and owned almost everything there is except for abyss, original omega, Joe grado and sr1a. I prioritize timbre, midrange and micro details over most other things.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #326 of 664
Thanks St.P. I agree with you about HD650 100%, but what about the HD600, which I have never heard?

May 12, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #327 of 664
I suggest modding your HD650 (google for HD650 KISS mod). Very easy to do even without DIY experience. Gives a quite noticeable improvement, i.e. equal or slightly bigger than the biggest tube differences.

May 12, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #328 of 664
Thanks again, St.P. There's a long thread on the HD600, here, on head-fi. It's not as warm as the HD650s. I have never tried them.

May 15, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #329 of 664
May 15, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #330 of 664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back