DNA Stellaris
Jul 28, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #511 of 664
The Elrog 5U4G is like a lightbulb. A bit annoying. My KR died on me at some point, definitely some reliablity issues.

Found more differences with the 2A3 tubes. Still happy with my Acmes.

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #512 of 664
Per the 274B exclusion, note the Sophia 274B Aqua is an exception, it is ok to use.

I've been enjoying its fuller density of presentation over the stock rectifier.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #513 of 664
This is an incredibly helpful list. Thank you so much for posting! I've been eyeing the KR 5U4G, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll probably try it at some point.

Quick note on the 274B variants you mentioned. Donald mentioned to me that this tube isn't recommended. His quote was "The standard 274B is not recommend for the Stellaris because it’s designed for less total power supply capacitance and may fail prematurely." Sounds like it's more a risk to the tube than the amp, but just thought I'd note that for those browsing the thread.
Good point re: 274B--I should have included a comment about these. My understanding is that Donald's caution was in the context of the vintage WE 274B tubes. Although I've had no problems with the Sophia 274B Aqua and the Psvane WE 274B replica, I can't speak to the reliability of other 274B tubes.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #514 of 664
The Elrog 5U4G is like a lightbulb. A bit annoying. My KR died on me at some point, definitely some reliablity issues.

Found more differences with the 2A3 tubes. Still happy with my Acmes.
I'm curious where you sourced your KR tube. Mine died within the 6-month warranty period and I was ghosted by the company upon making the warranty claim. Important point of caution for those who are interested in going down this route.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #515 of 664
I'm curious where you sourced your KR tube. Mine died within the 6-month warranty period and I was ghosted by the company upon making the warranty claim. Important point of caution for those who are interested in going down this route.
Oh man, what a bummer. Appreciate the warning, as I've been thinking about the KR 5U4G, but keep hearing about their awful QC and customer service :frowning2:

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #516 of 664
Oh man, what a bummer. Appreciate the warning, as I've been thinking about the KR 5U4G, but keep hearing about their awful QC and customer service :frowning2:
I would assume that http://best300b.com/ is a safe source of KR tubes, given it's run by the Lampizator folks. I got a pair of KR RK 300B's from them, though haven't had to make a warranty claim.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #518 of 664
Good point re: 274B--I should have included a comment about these. My understanding is that Donald's caution was in the context of the vintage WE 274B tubes. Although I've had no problems with the Sophia 274B Aqua and the Psvane WE 274B replica, I can't speak to the reliability of other 274B tubes.
The PSvane WE series are electrically the same as original Westerns so will have the same capacitance issue...does it affect the sound too, I don't know... But the Sofia 274B Aqua are beefed up electrically and are safely usable in DNA amps.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #520 of 664
Oh my.... I personally know the Lampy folks & am surprised you would get stiffed...
A quick search on another forum shows that there's been some issues recently (several other customers reporting similar concerns as me) and the online shop for 300b no longer seems in operation. There must be an explanation behind the scenes to account for this behavior.

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #521 of 664
I joined the club today!!! :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_5921.jpeg
    IMG_5921.jpeg
    876.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5933.jpeg
    IMG_5933.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #523 of 664
I see Takatsuki have just come out with a 2A3, and given their good reputation with 300B, I hope to try these out upcoming in my Stellaris.

https://takatsuki-denki.co.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/【English】TA-2A3-News-Release.pd
I received a quad of the Takatsuki 2A3 for my Woo WA33 EE monday. I have about 30 hours on them now. Even this early the Taks are the best thing I have had in this amp(EH, Sovtek, EML 2A3 Mesh, and EML 300B 2.5v, RCA 2A3 Black Plates). I am experiencing a larger soundstage with greater separation and instrument placement. I also feel a better low end response and clarity. These are really expensive but a very worthwhile upgrade. I have put my 1951 NOS RCA 2A3 Black Plates up for sale.

A big +1 for Parts ConneXion. One of the tubes was defective out of the box(not encouraging but we will see). One phone call and I had a return UPS label the next day with the replacement pair on their way to me before the defective pair was out of town. Excellent customer service!

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #524 of 664
I received a quad of the Takatsuki 2A3 for my Woo WA33 EE monday. I have about 30 hours on them now. Even this early the Taks are the best thing I have had in this amp(EH, Sovtek, EML 2A3 Mesh, and EML 300B 2.5v, RCA 2A3 Black Plates). I am experiencing a larger soundstage with greater separation and instrument placement. I also feel a better low end response and clarity. These are really expensive but a very worthwhile upgrade. I have put my 1951 NOS RCA 2A3 Black Plates up for sale.

A big +1 for Parts ConneXion. One of the tubes was defective out of the box(not encouraging but we will see). One phone call and I had a return UPS label the next day with the replacement pair on their way to me before the defective pair was out of town. Excellent customer service!
Thanks for posting your experience with the Takatsukis. Have you had a chance to compare with any of the 2a3 globes (acme, linlai)? Your comment about increased staging and separation interests me because I have favored the globe style tubes for these characteristics, even over the RCA single plates.

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #525 of 664
The list of tubes I have tried are in the message. Their were a few in the WA33 thread who had noise issues with the Acme tubes so I did not try them. I did try a KR 274B and found it unimpressive so also did not try the KR 2A3 which are comparable in price to the Taks. The Tak 2A3 live up to the reputation of the Tak 274Band maybe then some. I can’t wait to get my main DAC back from a hardware upgrade and find out how good this can get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back