DNA Sonett Review
Oct 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #631 of 661
Has anyone tried sonett with D7000(low impedance)?I want to make a choice between master8 and sonett2

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #632 of 661
Quote:
Just heard the Sonnet 2 at todays LA meetup. I had my LCD2s with me, so I plugged them in listened to a track from 'In Rainbows' and immediately realized my savings account would be depleted soon.

I listened to the Stratus as well, which is a beautiful piece of gear. Donald mentioned that some of the ideas he had for the Stratus, he had implemented into the Sonnet 2.

I'll be putting my order in.

Since you listened to both the Sonnet and the Stratus, any chance for a comparison? Kind of torn between both.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #633 of 661
For those of you who have the HF-2, how does the HF-2-Sonett pairing do with female vocals? My one problem with the pico dac/amp combo and HF-2, is that male vocals are terrific but female vocals don't sound quite as euphoric as I would like. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #636 of 661
Back of mine says 0062. I got mine delivered on 3/30/11.
Eee Pee and I are close DNA Sonett Buddies!!!
I just knew it. :O)

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #638 of 661
  I got mine delivered 3/17/11

Just missed its 3rd birthday.  I'll have to celebrate tonight!

3rd... already! 
blink.gif

Eee Pee and I are close DNA Sonett Buddies!!!
I just knew it. :O)

Cheers, bro.  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  Could anybody provide input as to the Woo WA3+ vs. Sonnett? I know they'll sound different, but how?

Phones are beyer T90s.

Thanks in advance...

I've never heard a Woo amp so I won't make a comment about them.  One thing though, the Sonett is not a tubey sounding amp if that's what you're after.  In my research before buying the Sonett I did a heck of a lot of reading and it was based on tube and circuit types.  Check out this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/388373/can-someone-explain-what-otl-means#post_5097655

The Sonett costs a considerable amount more than the WA3 does.  Might be because of those output transformers...

I use a Schiit Mjolnir all the time.  For the sake of comparison let's say it's a flat line with no distortion and no characteristics.  It just gets louder.  The Sonett has some flavor.  Donald is/was calling it "juiciness".  It almost makes sense if you kinda go way over to left field and try to describe a few things with a single word.  But, the Mjolnir is FAR from juicy.  I like the Sonett for that.  It's not a drastic difference but one that breathes a little life into my music.

Juicy might be DNA's version of Woo's "Euphonic".

http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf

Quite a silly chart in my opinion, when everything is 3 1/2 or 4 stars or better, save the WA3 and WA6 missing a star for one or two things.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #639 of 661
Thanks - that's great.

I bought the T90s from a another head-fier and instantly fell in love with them. However, some of the music I to which I listen (which admittedly isn't the type where production values are the greatest) was somewhat uncomfortable to listen to (grating high end). And I don't listen that loud. I then purchased a WA3+ from another head-fier for the lushness of the tubes and to tone down the treble of the T90s. It worked - I love this amp. However, the bottom end is a bit soft. 

To make matters even worse is that I listen to everything. Punk, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Jazz, Classical - there isn't a genre that isn't represented in my 3000+ flac files.

So while I realize that having one rig that does everything well is impossible, I am trying to find a happy medium. The Sonnett my be it. Or maybe an RSA Raptor.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #640 of 661
See that rather sizable bump on the right?  No amp will make that go away.

Include the Audeze LCD 2 and Senn 650 and you can really see the difference.

An amp might not be your ultimate solution.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #641 of 661
I am not familiar with the HD650s and LCD-2 is out of my price range.

I feel the treble of the T90s are fine with the WA3+. I was looking to tighten the bottom end a bit.

I have done some research and there are tube amps out there that lean toward a more solid-state sound will not sacrificing the inherent characteristics of tubes. The Sonnett is supposed to be one of them. The RSA Raptor is another...

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #642 of 661
  I have done some research and there are tube amps out there that lean toward a more solid-state sound will not sacrificing the inherent characteristics of tubes. The Sonett is supposed to be one of them.

Just one n in Sonett.  
cool.gif

I would agree with that description of its sound for the most part.  

Tube upgrade path is easy.  

Electro Harmonix 6H30 - hair warmer and clearer
Mullard GZ34 - better definition
Reflektor 6H30 - like cleaning a kinda dirty window

~$235 in tubes.

By then you're either content or ready to move onto something else.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #643 of 661
Just wanted to chime in for the tube rolling. 6H30 only has few tubes- Sovtek 6H30, Electro Harmonix 6H30-PI, and Reflector 6H30-DR. Some of us, myself included, have a positive experience rolling in a 6N6P for the 6H30. It helps add to the low end. The holy grail for GZ24/5AR4 is the Mullard Metal Base. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #645 of 661
Well I joined the Sonett club, was looking for a new work amp, didn't want another Woo and didn't want to go straight SS as I already have the Asgard 2.  Plus, I have loved the looks of Donald's amps since I first saw the Stratus photos.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to listen to it yet (waiting on balanced headphone cables) or decide on a final set of headphones. 

The Alpha Dogs are fairly efficient for planars (90db) and I know everyone screams "MORE POWER" at the simple mention of planars, but will see how they fair.  I personally found the Fostex driver didn't really need that much amp'ing compared to the LCD3's.  Outside of the AD's, looking at maybe the Beyer T70's with a custom cable job for balanced.  Unfortunately, at work I really need closed back, but may be able to get away with an HD650, not sure yet.

This thread looked like it needed some love, especially since it is the thread that convinced me to buy the Sonett (it was used and a good deal, figured was worth a try).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back