DNA Sonett 2
Feb 27, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #121 of 157
  What my dream? 
ph34r.gif

I quite like the Sonett with the HD800 and yes, there's enough headroom to rock out.  It gets louder than I can take, and I can take LOUD.  Is it the ultimate in dynamic abilities?  Not really, but it's good.  

Donald has mentioned the headphones he used to tweak the sound with, and it was more of a coincidence that the HD800s paired well.  I think he's more of a Beyer and AKG fan.

Not sure why these aren't on the DNA page anymore, other than guessing he's done making them, but here's the links:

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Sonett-headphone-amplifier.html
http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Sonett-2-headphone-amplifier.html

So you have the Sonett, not the Sonet 2, correct? I believe Donald created the Sonett 2 with the HD800 in mind.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #122 of 157
Correct, first one.  The additional output tube was to give it greater power to drive lower efficiency headphones better than his first iteration.  A broader market.

Either way, or nonetheless or whatever... they're basically the same circuit, difference being the paralleled output tube.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #127 of 157
@moatsart : Donald told me it worth it. So I took the TKD and I'm happy with it. Smooth and precise under the hand.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #129 of 157
  I would be pairing the HD800. I also have Grado RS1i and PS1000 but I am currently pairing those with the Woo Audio WA7 and will continue to do so

I used my Sonett 2 for over a year with my HD800, and the amp powers the phones splendidly. Things got even better in balanced mode, and the slightly high (compared to many other amps) output impedance from the XLR jack was actually a nice match for the Senns, given their critical personality. A terrific match. In the end I just didn't find the HD800 all that fun to listen to, but none of that was the fault of the Sonett 2, which I found superb in every way. And Donald couldn't have been a nicer person to deal with.

May 16, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #130 of 157
Hello to all,

I'm new to headphone listening and just recently purchased the HD 800 and on a whim tried out the Burson Conductor Virtuoso (I can almost hear all the gasps).  I know, I know, it's not really favored with the 800 but I was interested in the DAC as well so out of curiosity I went with this setup.  Even after performing the Anaxilus mod (which helped), I'm still getting some harshness from time to time.  I think I'm going back to my Metrum Octave DAC.   So after some research, I've narrowed my choices down to either a Woo or the DNA Sonett 2.  Since I posted here, you can guess which of the two I'm going with. 

After more reading I feel balanced is the way to go for the HD 800.  Stupid question but, do any modifications need to be done, or adapters added to the 800 for balanced cable?  I assume not and just getting an 800 cable with balanced on the amp end will be fine. 

Klots, in your post you mentioned that, "Now it's just 4 months of waiting".  Please tell me you were joking.........

Thanks to all who've posted.  This thread has given me a lot of knowledge about the Sonett 2, and confidence that I'm making the right decision. 

May 16, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #131 of 157
@devilboy : just send a mail to Daniel North but it seems the Sonett 2 is out of production for now. 

I lived with the Sonett 2 during one year and the pairing is superb. smooth , refined . Not impressive at first glance but so elegant...  Octave + Sonett is too smooth though.  a more resolving DAC with more bite will balance the smooth nature of the Sonett.  a Meier corda Daccord does wonder with the  Sonett/HD800 combo. 

May 16, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #132 of 157
I'm slowly pulling the knife out of my heart after reading your post, Sorrodje.

May 16, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #133 of 157
Sorrodje, if DNA was not an option for you, what amp would you use for the 800?  Basically, which amp has come closest to the DNA with your 800s?

May 16, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #134 of 157
  I'm slowly pulling the knife out of my heart after reading your post, Sorrodje.

Just send a mail to Donald. He's currently at Munich but he will answer you. 

Considering you have the Octave and you're ready to spend 1400 or 1500$ in an amp, I strongly advice you to look at the Eddie Current Black widow.  Sorry I've not experienced enough amp to give any trustable advice. I don't know Woo amps for example. For sure the DNA Sonett is one of the smoothest I heard. Not syrupy though :wink:

May 16, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #135 of 157
Awww, that's a real bummer.  I was saving up for a Sonnet 2, I just don't make a mint and its a slow save.  These things barely come up used, so I might as well look elsewhere.  I wonder if Don would do a final batch of these?

Otherwise I guess I'll have to save longer for a WA22...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back