DMM For Beginner
Nov 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gollie

100+ Head-Fier
I have been in the search function searching for a good adequate meter for a few days now. I have never even used a DMM so I find it hard to justify spending the money on a Fluke 187.

I do want the ability to match transistors so when I do upgrade to a Fluke, I at least don't have to buy two more meters.

Will this suffice:
High Accuracy 4-1/2 Digit LCD DMM (CSI65 DMM)

I plan on starting with a CMOY then moving to a Mini^3 or Millet Hybrid Max.

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 11
The Fluke 187 is AWESOME! I have one at work.

Here at my apartment I have two Extech 380771 DMMs. Look it up and let me know if you're interested in one of them. I don't want much for them at all.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 11
The Harbor Freight $4.99 DMM is plenty sufficient to match transistors (it's what I use) and to build the amps you mention:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98025

Go with a Fluke when you want absolute measurements and you're doing testing for designs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 11
I'll second Tom's suggestion, I used a cheap meter (~$10AU) for the past 10 years and it served me well. Only recently have I upgraded to a slightly nicer meter (but still budget, $25AU) as the old one seemed to be not so accurate anymore.

They're both more than adequate for putting together amps and any other diy.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 11
I use a cheap multimeter (7€) and then purchased a nice leads kit with alligators, probes, etc. these do come handy when building amps, you probably should invest in something like that.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 11
For the money I would look into an entry level Fluke, like the 110 115 etc. The 110 is going for around 30~50 USD on Ebay. Yes you can use the cheapo DVM's for testing transistors and small voltages but you may find yourself building tube amps next year. I use a fluke 87 III that I got from ebay and it is great, although the cheap units are rated at 1000v I had one evaporate in my hands at 480. Looking back it I can find humor in looking like a Bugs Bunny cartoon with black char marks on my face and arms but was not funny at the time.

In short Fluke is a tested ISO 9001 company and well worth the investment. If not a less expensive alternative is the Beckman DVM.

Just my 2 cents

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Harbor Freight $4.99 DMM is plenty sufficient to match transistors (it's what I use) and to build the amps you mention:
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Go with a Fluke when you want absolute measurements and you're doing testing for designs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not to mention the Harbor Freight meter is on sale for $2.99 most of the time. I still prefer my Fluke 189 to it though.
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll start with the Harbor Freight for now. At least I will have some appreciation for how good the Fluke is, if I start small.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 11
You might want to consider a used Fluke meter. I have an older Fluke 12 that I used for years; you can find them for not much more than the meter you linked to in your first post. I use a Fluke 187 now; a couple years back the local Fry's had them marked at (IIRC) $219. Couldn't resist. You can also find good deals on analog Triplett meters.

If you have the room, you can also score old Fluke and HP bench meters for decent prices. Those are usually excellent.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also find good deals on analog Triplett meters.

Wow, forgot about good ol' Triplett, they have a new DVM for around $50. I recently bought a functional Heathkit V-7A VTVM just for kicks.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a cheap multimeter (7€) and then purchased a nice leads kit with alligators, probes, etc. these do come handy when building amps, you probably should invest in something like that.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back