DJ headphones?
Jan 24, 2007 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need to find a pair of DJ headphones and I think there might be better options than just the typical DJ assumptions.

When im practicing in the garage I use my completely open Beyer DT-990s
icon10.gif
But I think I need something more robust, durable and more isolating for normal DJ'ing.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 26
Ultrasone DJ line is pretty good. HD 280 Pro's are great but you wil sweat your ass off wearing them (otherwise great). Sony MDR-V700's are really durable, I love them even though they don't offer any sort of hi-fi sound but the bass is very punchy. The Pioneer line is pretty good as well.

Steer clear of Technics and Stanton, their durability is pretty terrible. K81 DJ's are too small, you'll need a full sized headphone in order to get the proper isolation. The K181DJ's are big enough but given their high price it's probably better to go with a different headphone like an Ultrasone at that price level.

And then there's the Sennheiser HD-25 which is widely considered to be the best headphone out there for DJ'ing (among other things). Great sound, very light, very comfortable.

Don't get overly obsessed with sound quality because as long as you can hear the bass and kick drum, they isolate well, and are durable you'll be in good shape.

~Ben

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheynkman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
something that isolates well and has nothing to do with the hifi world

Now, why would I be a head-fi'er if i wanted that??
rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

I think I'll look into the HD-25's, as I've only heard good things about them. I've gotten other DJ opinions on the matter, but when it comes to headphones in general, I trust head-fi above all!

And no, i won't sacrifice on sound quality. If I'm not happy up there spinning, no one will be happy, thats just the fact of the matter. And if I'm listening to garbage headphones, well I won't be too happy.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And no, i won't sacrifice on sound quality. If I'm not happy up there spinning, no one will be happy, thats just the fact of the matter. And if I'm listening to garbage headphones, well I won't be too happy.
wink.gif

I understand where you're coming from if you're going to use them for other purposes as well. But given that most people who spin don't listen to their headphones for more than 20-30 seconds while beatmatching you're not really listening to what you're spinning through the headphones.

I do understand an emphasis on sound quality above all else if you're using them to listen to your mix and don't have monitor speakers. But luckily, the really top end headphones for spinning give you an 8-10 in every category. Definitely think the Senns are a good choice, they'd be what I had if I hadn't pulled the trigger on a V700 sale.

~Ben

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 26
Yep, I suppose I'll eventually go for some big speakers but just playing around in my garage I'd like to just stick to headphones.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 26
for DJing, and since you like the DT990s, how about the DT770s? Closed versions of the Beyers, and are like many DJ cans in that they lean towards the bass.

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 26
I love beyerdynamics DJX-1.
It has good detailed and strong&tight bass.
Isolation is superior to HD25.

OblOsv5LIeeGAVOja_lGdQsV-BvMumw0LYQXg7_VmU1Wj2DlRNURpqXyvLDcYQpqlp7tNXIDmW8.jpeg
OblOsv5LIeeGAVOja_lGdQsV-BvMumw0LYQXg7_VmU1Wj2DlRNURppKwOaNqSJt4Jy2lkNGMwwE.jpeg

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheynkman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
senn hd280 pro
pioneer dj cans
techniques dj cans

etc

something that isolates well and has nothing to do with the hifi world

the sony r10 isolates well.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 26
These are what you need:Technics RP-DJ120

I own the Audio Technica PRO700's, the look nice - and that's about it. The pioneers in the same class (DJ1000) are clunky and have a weak mechanism and are muddy. You want something you can monitor effectively on one ear - this eliminates can cans like the DT770 or Senn 280.

The Technics sound good, can handle insane volume levels, have a kickass and tough as nails swivel mechanism with lock - and are otherwise bomb-proof. I have not used the HD-25's, but have heard good things - the same goes for the Beyer DJX-1's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back