DJ Headphones for Hip Hop
Aug 15, 2002 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KrayzieKMF

New Head-Fier
Ok after reading a bunch of threads about DJ headphones I have become even more confused.

Before coming to this site I was planning on getting either the Technics 1200a's or the Sony 700's because thats what the majority of the people on the DJ websites recommended. But after I read some threads here I was thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's or the Sony 7506's. So which one would be better for hip hop music? I'm just learning how to mix and whatnot so I really have no idea what I should be looking for in my headphones. The only headphones I've actually been able to try were the Sony 700's and I didn't really like the bass but I had nothing to compare it to.

The HD 280 Pro's are about $75, while the Sony V6's were $80 and the sony 7506's were $90.

Thanks for any help.

Aug 15, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 14
The Sony V6's and 7506's are the same headphone, so go with the cheaper V6.

I have the 7506's and think the bass is quite precise and visceral (unlike the boomy V700's) and also have a bright top end, which makes them very analytical. The top end may be fatiguing though if you need to blast these things in a loud club. The V6's will sound great with hip hop though, that bass will come out for a full experience (deep lows, not muddy midrange bass, like the V700's).

I've never used the HD280's but i have the ultimate deep bass headphones, the Beyerdynamic Dt770-250's, these things are like freaking subwoofers.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 14
KrayzieKMF, if you're "going to spend $10 more and get the newer model," I assume it's the MDR-V600's. Don't buy them. They're not even remotely the same headphones as the legendary MDR-V6's. I used to own the MDR-V600's... blech. Boxy, tinny, echoey sound; no real bass response. What a piece of crap those MDR-V600's were (and still are)! If anything, those MDR-V600's are even worse than the MDR-V700DJ's!

Aug 15, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by KrayzieKMF
Ok after reading a bunch of threads about DJ headphones I have become even more confused.

Before coming to this site I was planning on getting either the Technics 1200a's or the Sony 700's because thats what the majority of the people on the DJ websites recommended. But after I read some threads here I was thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's or the Sony 7506's. So which one would be better for hip hop music? I'm just learning how to mix and whatnot so I really have no idea what I should be looking for in my headphones. The only headphones I've actually been able to try were the Sony 700's and I didn't really like the bass but I had nothing to compare it to.

The HD 280 Pro's are about $75, while the Sony V6's were $80 and the sony 7506's were $90.

Thanks for any help.

The 700's. Don't believe these snobby mods. The 700's have the kick (while not totally accurate) which allows you to get in the groove. Forget these classical-music/anime-music-listening ***s.

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Having said that, check out the 7506's also. Forget the 280's unless you're some white guy with no sense of rhythm.

Aug 15, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by KrayzieKMF
heh when i said $10 more i was talking about the 7506's

Ahhh... that's what you're talking about. In that case, the 7506's are the same 'phones as the legendary V6's except for the gold-plated plug connectors on the former.

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse

The 700's. Don't believe these snobby mods. The 700's have the kick (while not totally accurate) which allows you to get in the groove. Forget these classical-music/anime-music-listening ***s.

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Having said that, check out the 7506's also. Forget the 280's unless you're some white guy with no sense of rhythm.

the 700s are totally innacurate and horrible for beatmatching. they lag in the bass and are soo boomy, they just look good. thats it. The 280 pros are great, i think they are the best DJ headphone available save for the 770 pro, which i havent heard. they are a tad lighter in the mid bass than the v6 but hit deeper overall. they 280s dont look pretty tho. but the 280s isolate much better then the V6. either headphone is great, the V6 or the 280. the 7506 is the same thing as the V6. the V600 sucks. the V700 just looks good and has loads of horrible sounding midbass thump that is way innacurate and loose and so on. dont get it.

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
they just look good. thats it.

And that's the reason why he likes them.

rolleyes.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Magicthyse said...

Forget these classical-music/anime-music-listening ***s.

You're right, anime and classical music is too good to be wasted on V700s.
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
That's the reason why *everybody* likes them.

rolleyes.gif

yeah, anybody who's tone deaf
redface.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 14
LOL, You remind me of myself when I too was ignorant of the world of headphones. HEY, trust someone whos been there and done that...

THE V700.... SUX

An intelligent person learns from their mistakes (me), a wise person learns from the mistakes of others (this is your chance).

GOOD LUCK dont listen to magicthyse... hes a *****.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 14
I'm no *****, I've had the snip and everything...
biggrin.gif

And I'm hardly ignorant of headgear, thank you very much.
Oh yes, I also have perfect pitch - so the 'tone deaf' can be scratched.

I think you guys are biased towards it for the price. Yeah so it's overpriced for the specs - I'm not some broke student, so what?

And it's hardly odd that I'm coming up wth broadly the same reasons for liking/dislikng other HP's mentioned here...

You figure it out

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back