DJ/Gamer headphone recommendation?
Nov 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Snowawhoahoh

New Head-Fier
TL;DR version at the bottom.

Hey guys, I've been DJing for about a year now, and am starting to play some gigs. I'm also a very competitive Counter-Strike player.
I previously had the Audio Technica A700 headphones, which died on me recently. They were great for gaming with their positional audio, especially when I used to have my Tascam MK-144 usb interface, I could tell where anyone was and felt like I had sound hacks. The Tascam interface also improved the bass which is generally weak in these cans I hear. I also enjoyed the A700's for sound production with the slight sounds that it can pick up on.

Anyway moving on... 

I'm looking for a set of cans that are more suited for DJing, i.e. movable parts for easy one ear use, while playing a gig. The A700's were fixed in place and it was a bit awkward DJing with them, with how large they are. However, I would like to not downgrade too much in positional audio quality for gaming.

With the stuff I've requested which headphones would you guys recommend for me? I've been looking at Sennheiser HD25-1's and also the Pioneer HDJ-2000's. Is there something better for my needs? Thanks in advance guys!!!! <3

tl;dr version: Good headphones for DJing and positional audio for gaming.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 11
I really do think that the AT A700s and 900s are extremely good for gaming. Like you said, they aren't really that great for DJing. Do you really have a preference as to open or closed back?

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 11
Prepare for people to recommend the new AKG K167.  Well maybe only me an Miow haha.
I am testing out the soundstage with movies right now because I don't play games or have any installed.  It is very good at positoning and I can hear footsteps and voices clearly. Explosions and gunshots sound awesome with these.  /thumbs up.
The K167 does not have 180 degree earcups though if you need that.  They rotate horizontally and can fold flat.

I have heard the Pioneer HDJ-2000 and I would say they are worth the cost if you DJ, but I can't really comment on it's soundstage as I don't remember.  I do like them though.  Metal build, comfortable earpads, bass, and clear detail, but the features I don't use like the mono/stereo switch make me feel that they are overpriced just for listening to music.  However you can buy them around $200ish on amazon.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the feedback so far, I missed the thread where we're supposed to post our recommendations >.< (newbie to head-fi) but thanks for posting here anyway! Any others? :)

Also Agent, I'm open to either if they meet my specifications, but I'm more partial towards closed, which make it easier to DJ.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 11
The Pioneer HDJ-2000 are a solid set. Also, look into the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, which shares the same drivers as the Pro 500 (not the regular DJ1, that shares the same drivers as the HFI-580).

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I found a blackfriday deal on the Ultrasone PRO 550 how do these compare to the DJ1 Pro?

Unlike the DJ1 and HFI-580, the DJ1 Pro and the Pro 550 only differ on the external enclosure, which means that by getting the Pro 550, you're effectively getting the same set as the DJ1 Pro, and vice versa.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 11
So of all my needs for good positional audio and dj'ing ability would you recommend the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro or the HDJ-2000s? Is there anything else that would be a better fit perhaps? Thanks for all your help guys btw, really appreciate it.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 11
Both options are very valid. However, price is also a consideration. What prices can you get for both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back