DIYMod service?
Jul 16, 2010 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

usf09

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, 

So I just got a refurb 5G 60GB iPod with the intention of doing the DIYMod, but after looking at the logic board of my old 30GB, I realize there is no way I'll be able to solder those tiny components, and am looking for someone who offers the service (want to get it done in August or September). I looked at joneeboi (Collected DIYMods) but he appears to be away for several months, so I was wondering who else could offer the service in the US?

Sorry for making such a long winded post, but if anyone has any advice, it'd be much appreciated, thanks!

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 8
http://www.head-fi.org/user/hifimusiclover
He seemed to sell quite a few DIYMods. Not sure if he actually modded them himself or just sold them. Either way it's worth a PM.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 8
The key to doing the diymod is a very fine soldering tip, good lighting and good magnification.

Seriously, I am the most cack handed person I know, totally untechnical and impatient, and am nothing more than a complete and utter newb at soldering but with the tips above and watching a few soldering videos I am more than confident you could do the job yourself.

Either way, good luck with it.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 8
i, too, am interested. i just got a 5g 60gb for $50 on craigslist...works great (the plastic face is cracked and chipped pretty bad but i ordered a new one for $5)! i also got a 6g 80gb for $75...works and looks great! one of these is for my mom, basically whichever i don't want. i prefer the 5g through the line out, which is what i always use. i'm considering the diymod route, but i don't want to have to deal with a special LOD that i have to have with it all the time, cuz it'll get damaged. i need it to be completely internal. this limits me to either replacing the hard drive with a CF card, which is pretty pricey...maybe someday...or getting a 4G. I don't want to lose any capacity so I think a 60GB 4G is a pretty good solution for me. it's cheaper to get an entire used ipod than just a hard drive! XP! hopefully i can find someone to trade me a good 4G + $ for my 6G.

but more to the point, i do not trust myself to not mess this up, so i would love it if someone would offer this service. depending on the cost, i could get away with this for pretty damn cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back