DIY'ing in Australia?
Sep 6, 2009 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

iLol

New Head-Fier
I really want to build a USB DAC (or maybe a USB+SPDIF DAC so I can also use it with my PS3), and some Amps, but it appears buying boards and such overseas is a lot of trouble, and group buys don't come up often. Also, say besides the board and case, can I get everything else from say, Dick Smith?

Since DIY'ing is a bit of trouble for an Australian like me, should I just give up and buy something like an ASUS U1?

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 18
Nonononono it is not a problem at all!
smily_headphones1.gif

There are heaps of great people with little online stores to help out. Depending on what sort of amp you want to build you could visit:

Glass Jar Audio (kits with everything you need)
Beezar (great for the millet stuff and bantam dac
wink.gif
)
Spruce Canyon Labs (Alex C's CTH)
AMB Labs (gamma1 and gamma2 DAC boards and a heap of other stuff, un-paralleled resource)

Having built a mini3 and gamma1 (and gamma2) I can definitely recommend those as a fantastic little pair ^^
The mini3 kit from GJA is a nobrainer and excellent. Unfortunately the gamma1 requires a mouser (or other) order.
If you like I can share the gamma1 mouser project but you will have to check it.

I get the feeling I'm missing one or two from the list above...

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 18
Dick Smith isn't much chop anymore...Jaycar is better. In fact, the Jaycar/Silicon Chip headphone amp gets good ratings, particularly after modding.

Glass Jar is fantastic, I'm a small push away from getting an M3/s11. For the source, I'm very keen for the y2...I'm pretty darn sure we'll get a GB together for it.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 18
I walked into DSE the other day and asked for a 1A 20 x 5 slow blow fuse, I quickly got re-directed to jaycar. It seems their whole infastructure is marketing more towards consumer electronics rather than DIY.
DIY in Australia is certainly limiting, the cost of building is significantly higher as well. I've spent several times banging my head against the wall - upon realising there's an extra part I forgot to order and will have to pay shipping again.
Farnell is a good, well stocked supplier - but there quite expenise. Altronics also have a good range of stuff.

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 18
DIY in Australia isn't hard at all, just expect to pay a little more for shipping. I don't know many places at all that wont ship to Australia. And if there is a really obscure and hard to get thing, someone will be bound to help you out in ordering it, I've spent the last month trying to order a transformer from Germany with the help of a Head-Fi member who is living there

Also don't go into DIY to save money (because you wont), do it because it is a hobby and you enjoy it

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 18
Just thought I'd pop in here and say that RS has free Australian shipping at the moment. I ordered a case for a gamma1/2 from there recently and was happily suprised when there was no shipping charge. Dunno how long it will last.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 18
Yeah I think mouser had the same thing when we did the gamma2... though I think it has a lower bound on how much you have to spend to get it.

Dicksmith is a disgrace. Having worked at Hardly Normal a couple of years ago I can see where they are trying to position themselves. When I walk in to ds now days I can't tell the difference :'(

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 18
At the moment there's no minimum spend but I think normally it's $200+ for free shipping from RS and $150+ for mouser.

I haven't been to DSE recently but it hasn't changed all that much has it? You can still find some useful stuff even if their range is pretty limited and generally more expensive. They're not geared towards audio DIY.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 18
Sep 7, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Dick Smith really is moving to just consumer electronics. DS Powerhouse in Chatswood used to have a decent selection of DIY parts and their kits, that part of the store is gone now and there's a very limited range in the smaller Chatswood store that seems as if it's just whatever is left and that they're not restocking the components.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 18
All right, at the moment I want to build a Bantam/Alien DAC (which one is better), a desktop (full-size) Amp with appropriate PSU, and maybe a portable Amp (I can only think of the Mini3 and the not-really-worth-it cMoy). Which Desktop amp should I go with and if necessary, what PSU to go with it?

Oh yes, on the notion of building Amps, how do I solve the hurdle of changing the transformer to be compatible with Australian 240v power sockets?

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iLol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, on the notion of building Amps, how do I solve the hurdle of changing the transformer to be compatible with Australian 240v power sockets?

Dual primaries or buy local.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dick Smith isn't much chop anymore...Jaycar is better. In fact, the Jaycar/Silicon Chip headphone amp gets good ratings, particularly after modding.

Glass Jar is fantastic, I'm a small push away from getting an M3/s11. For the source, I'm very keen for the y2...I'm pretty darn sure we'll get a GB together for it.

link plsssssss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back