DIYEVEN SVDAC05 VS ZERO VS YULONG DAH1 MARK VS Zhaolu 2.5
Nov 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ads2

Head-Fier
Hi There,
I'm new in this forum and plan for Chrismass doing to do my own CD transport (from a CDRom) and put in a Box a Class D amp base on TA2024 (without using a potentiometer).
With these I will need a DAC but not too expensive also.

here's the DAC I have found :
DIYEVEN SVDAC05 , ZERO , YULONG DAH1 MARK and Zhaolu 2.5.
The Yulong seems a little bit expensive for me.

note that I need a variable output from the DAC.
For now I'm thinking of buying the SVDAC05, unless someone else convince me to buy something else...

So any help or feedback is welcome.
Sorry for my bad english..I'm from France...

Best regards

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 17
If your into modding the ZERO is a nice option, lots of documented mods on it so that you can get the sound you like the most.

The SVDAC05 does look nice, many input options, but it's not a unit what I've seen around here all that much, so it is more of a gamble.

Zhaolu is also a unit that has bean heavily modded with great success.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for your reply damned
Yes I will go to modding after the end of warranty.
the SVDAC05 have sockets for the OAP so should be modded easily and no need to mod the potentiometer..it's a digital volume control...
another alternative : High Grade 24bit/192khz DAC with fully assembled kits en vente sur eBay.fr (fin le 12-nov.-08 10:00:00 Paris)

could be easily moded also but, need to buy a case and need to add digital volume control to the amp, so not sure sure this is the cheaper wau to go....

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 17
Quite frankly I do not pay too much attention to warranty when modding "cheap" stuff I import from china, if it works when it arrives, its up for the mods. I take this stance because the shipping back to china for warranty would simply not be worth the trouble, so I might as well start the modding.

And if something goes wrong alog the way, you are better off trying to fix-it yourself or taking it to your local electronics store, it will be cheaper believe me.

If it was a more local product it would be a different story.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did all the mods I intended on my ZERO, with very good results, so good that I will now be building a full DIY DAC for myself but unfortunately I have to sell the ZERO for funds..

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 17
What I said applies to Lawrence, possibly even worst as the warranty claims I've seen with him have never ended good for the parties involved. But good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 17
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I have just received my Modded Zero DAC from Lawrence.
And I'm very disapointed :
It should be with HDAM, Alps pot and LC1864.
I have opened it and there is only the LC1864, no HDAM and no Modified Pot.
very very sad....

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 17
Very unfortunate, but not unexpected unfortunately, LC drops the ball once again, the guy is just incompetent, nuff said.

Be ready to make a chargeback claim if you expect to get your money back.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 17
Yep, born and raised in Porto, now living in Vila do Conde (15 minutes drive from Porto).
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to see yet another member with Portuguese origins over here.
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 17
I had a Zero until it broke last week. Now I have a Zhaolu 2.5A and it sounds very good to my ears and it is completely stock for now.

I'm pretty sure that when I get the Zhaolu Zapfiltered it will eat the Zero for breakfest. Of course Zhaolu + Zapfilter is more expensive than Zero + HDAM but I'm so pissed off with Lawrence that I don't care! Zero is a good DAC for it's price IF it works...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back