Diy usb DAC
Jul 19, 2008 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bego2

New Head-Fier
first sorry if this is wrong subforum for this thread.

i would like to built usb dac...money i would spend is ~60-70$...but i need same informations about online shops that can deliver in Croatia (some in europe, for small delivery price).

little serched the forum and google (more) and find usb dac called Alien, i read on forum that is very good dac for small price, better then samo sound audio cards for 100$?! any better...i need dac that would play good hause/trance in 192-320kbs... the dac will be hooked up to kenwood ka7090r amplifier and some speakers
biggrin.gif
, i have sonys (****), buying new, probably Mission m35i
smily_headphones1.gif

many thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 23
I now this for alien dac...and they deliver to Croatia but i would love to built samo better dac.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 23
anyone else?

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 23
at that price, alien is your best option. there are not that many diy DACs as the chips used are generally quite expensive. the alien is well known, and is often said to be much better than its price point.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 23
Alien is the only one I know at that price point. For a little less than $100 you could use a twisted pear usb module in the same hammond case most people use for the Alien.
$75 usb module
$10.50 hammond case
$5.00 jacks
+ shipping from TP & parts source

One advantage over the Alien is that the board is already assembled and tested, so you just have to solder the output caps (they won't fit in the case upright, so you will have to lay them down). You have to leave off the screw terminal blocks or it won't fit in the case. The case work is the same for both, although there is much less room for jacks with the TP usb module, so you might have to get creative. The TP usb module sounds better than my Alien with Muse ES output caps, but I want to try Vitamin Q caps like some other members have used. Both DACs sound good, though, so the Alien is definitely a bargain.

Scott

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 23
OK. Then it will be, Alien.

what sound card you would compare with Alien DAC ?

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 23
The Alien DAC support website says this:
Quote:

People rate Revision A somewhere in between Chaintech 710 and EMU 0404.

Now, the Alien DAC that's currently being sold is actually Revision B and incorporates some improvements. Further - speaking from first hand experience, any Alien DAC can be significantly improved over a stock design by replacing the caps with an appropriately rated boutique film cap(s). For instance, I recently built one that replaced the output electrolytics completely with Vitamin Q's. It sounds much, much better than the stock Alien, even with Black Gates.

So, you may judge the potential from that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 23
woot. i thoot that blackgates are the best caps. brb
biggrin.gif

thanks.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bego2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woot. i thoot that blackgates are the best caps. brb
biggrin.gif

thanks.

No electrolytic capacitor will ever sound as good as a good film cap, even Black Gates.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 23
any idea how much those caps are in pounds, and where to get them in uk? i was thinking of getting an alien, just cos sound card is crap, and £25 is a bargain. also, can you use headphones directly out of them?

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course not, it's a DAC and it has NO EXTRA OUTPUT STAGE.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's why I like it so much, no extra opamp or discrete output stage so I get to use my favorite amp and that's it.

DAMN IT!!!!! any idea of a similar priced dac+amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back