DIY Sound canceling bluetooth headphones
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gokee2

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have some old Realistic Nova Pro headphones that the wire going between the speakers stopped working very well on. If I wiggled it the left speaker would turn on and off and sometimes I could not get it to stay on. So I decided to rewire the headphones. However after I got them all apart (best time to really start thinking about what you are doing) I starting thinking of all the wonderful things that could go into the extra space inside the headphones.

So I think I have decided what I want to do with them but I have no idea how to go about designing a circuit to do what I want.

[size=medium]Sound Cancellation[/size]

I looked into how to do this and learned all I need is a inverted signal. One guy managed to do a DIY solution HeadWize - Project: Build These Noise-Canceling Headphones by Jules Ryckebusch. However his design does a few things I can`t stand. First of all it uses two 9 volt batteries, my old headphones may be big but not that big. Next its huge, well not really that huge but not small. I need it to be really small to fit inside the headphones. Can some of the opamps be combined with dual quad versions? Are there any better newer parts since that article was written? If the sound cancellation part does have to be big can I do it a bluetooth hop away(assuming I get bluetooth figured out)? I really like his design in that you can amplify outside noise instead of get rid of it with the twist of a dial.

[size=medium]Bluetooth[/size]
I have been trying to figure out how to make a DIY bluetooth receiver/sender. I want to attach some type of forward facing mic in addition to the side ones to pick up voice. I am hoping to be able to do some sound cancellation in the voice stream with the two side mics so I can make phone calls in noisy environments.

So far I have found very little on fashioning a bluetooth device. I found CP3BT10K38 but can`t figure out how to use it. It has a 210 page data sheet that I can`t understand much of. I don`t really know what I am looking for. It does have a section on Advanced Audio Interface and that talks a lot about syncing audio but not really how to give audio to another device and receive it on the other end.

[size=small]Power[/size]
I am going to need some lightweight/small battery with good battery life for this project. Anyone have any recommendations?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Gokee2

P.S. I meant to put this under "DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions" but I can`t find any way to move/delete this thread.

Thanks to immtbiker for fixing this!

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 3

qusp

Member of the Trade: Twisted Cables
wow man thats a really big ask.... really BIG!!!!!! seems like a lot of trouble for some realistic HP's I realize you probably aren't doing it for the SQ. well at least I hope not because you will be adding several barriers to good SQ with your design. bluetooth in itself is no good for really HQ audio and adding active noise canceling to that as well is really going to mess with the signal integrity. the amount of programming you will need to do for this is going to be substantial, and probably would take a team of people a long time to do properly, let alone one person. sorry for being negative, but I really dont see how its worth the trouble, unless you plan on marketing it at the end of it.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 3

gokee2

New Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow man thats a really big ask.... really BIG!!!!!! seems like a lot of trouble for some realistic HP's I realize you probably aren't doing it for the SQ. well at least I hope not because you will be adding several barriers to good SQ with your design.

I don`t figure they will sound all that great when I am done but I am hoping they will sound decent.

Quote:

bluetooth in itself is no good for really HQ audio and adding active noise canceling to that as well is really going to mess with the signal integrity.

I am assuming bluetooth converts the sound to digital before transmitting? If so it should not lose anythings exempt for the analog to digital conversion unless some packets get lost right?

Quote:

the amount of programming you will need to do for this is going to be substantial, and probably would take a team of people a long time to do properly, let alone one person. sorry for being negative, but I really dont see how its worth the trouble, unless you plan on marketing it at the end of it.

Hmm, is it really that bad? This type of thing is done for must cell phone bluetooth receivers and there are all kinds of those now. It seems like audio over bluetooth would not be too bad. And as a guy was able to hack together some active sound canceling in 1998 is seems like it would be easy by now.

Anyway thanks for the reply! I was thinking this was just going to get buried with all the new stuff and never get responded to.

Gokee2

Users who are viewing this thread