DIY shielded power cables. Interested?
Sep 19, 2002 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

aeberbach

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's the recipe:

Techflex outer sheath
Alpha cable tubular copper braid shield
Coleman 12 gauge AC power cable
Wattgate #320 IEC plugs (same as 350 but no gold plating)
Hospital Grade clear plastic AC plug
heatshrink

length: whatever you need. My own gear is no more than 3' from the power so I'll be making short ones for myself.

If there's enough interest at roughly $30 basic materials per cable + $3 per foot I may be able to get together some kits for DIY cable. Without connectors if you like - cable sets (AC cable, copper shield, techflex) would be just $3 per foot. This isn't a for-profit deal, that's about what it costs - for example, a 100' roll of the copper shield is $156.

Whether this would be better than any of the other cables discussed here recently I don't know. What I do know is that I'm not about to buy 100' minimum quantities of the stuff required unless enough people want to share the cost. So please, PMs indicating quantity and length desired.

Remember this is for unassembled cable - lengths of 12 gauge AC power cord, 1/2 copper shield, 1/2" techflex, 1' heatshrink, IEC female and AC plug. I'm not offering to build the cable for you - sorry but I just don't have time. Much of the end result will depend on your own skill and effort.

I'll give an update in a couple of days and let people know if this is going ahead or not.

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 2
I'd be interested in assembled cables if the recipe results in a tasty cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back