DIY recable options - sub-100$ cables
Dec 10, 2007 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

utilisateur

100+ Head-Fier
Hello folks

opening up my K340 on connection to the left dynamic driver broke, so i take it as a hint to recable them.

As i am neither able nor willing to spend huge amounts of money for an aftermaket cable im looking for existing solutions,
microphone cable,console cable..

Could you recomment anything?
Canare mini-starquad? Mogami console mini-quad?

I`d be willing to braid my own cable, but im worried about microphonics ?

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 13
AFAIK the premade cables like the canare and mogami don't have much microphonics. If youre going to braid your own then I would suggest using multi-filament nylon sheathing. I wouldn't suggest regular techflex over a braided cable cause of the horrible microphonics.

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 13
So a moderatly tight braid with multifilament sleeving (+maybe heatshrink) would be insensible enough to microphonics[size=small]?[/size]

If so i will just make the leap and try it with either

Thel silver litzbraid
Audioconsulting solidcore cryosilver with cotton
or cryo copper with cotton ..hmm

(1silver+1copper per connection would be to bulky/unpractical i guess)

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 13
[size=small]BUMP
[/size]
i have no idea what to use for my K340
and i dont wanna stay without it for so long

Mogami console mini-quad would be my choice out of the blue but i bet there are better alternatives

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 13
I did my DT880's with the Canare Miniature Star Quad. Nothing much to say except that it worked and I don't feel any great need to replace it with more expensive cable that may or may not provide additional sonic benefits.

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 13
Recableing K501's with Mogami '2893' made a difference that was not subtle. It really improved much that was already pretty good and added some extention that was not there before. Great bang for the buck.

It is a bit smaller than the Cannare and it is my personal preference sound wise by a small margin. Remember to ground the shield only at the Jack. It matters.

EDIT: The 5998 triode # was subed for the 2893 Mogami - I corrected it above. Wee hours AM stupidity.

Dec 24, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recableing K501's with Mogami 5998 made a difference that was not subtle.

What config is the 5998? That's a model # that I don't remember seeing at Markertek.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What config is the 5998? That's a model # that I don't remember seeing at Markertek.

That was a bad typo. Should be 2893. Working on too many projects late at night. 5998 is a power Triode, an amp I was working on last night used 'em.

They would make for a strange cable. I am guessing you are familier with 2893, a mini star quad. Sorry for any confusion.
redface.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They would make for a strange cable. I am guessing you are familier with 2893, a mini star quad. Sorry for any confusion.
redface.gif

Didn't mean to call you out, I was genuinely interested in finding out more about it
wink.gif
2893 is the good old 4x26 gauge mini starquad.

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 13
Right now i'd love to just go for the Mogami miniquad (the aforementioned *2893) but i cant seem to find it in Europe, would be sooo much cheaper then braiding my own silver/copper cables...

Connectors and other mods are awaiting my cable decision ..

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now i'd love to just go for the Mogami miniquad (the aforementioned *2893) but i cant seem to find it in Europe, would be sooo much cheaper then braiding my own silver/copper cables...

Connectors and other mods are awaiting my cable decision ..

YGPM

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 13
If I may just throw out another recommendation, I really like the Cardas 4x24 cable. I recabled my K340's with that and I prefer it over all other recables I've heard (granted, I haven't heard any of the Headphile cables). It adds some warmness to the sound, without sacrificing any of the detail. It's certainly pricier than the Canare or Mogami cables, but in my opinion, better than those two as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back