DIY power conditioner?
May 24, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 16
Have a look at the Jon Risch power conditioner. There is also a company in the US that makes a conditioner based on this design. Check at AA for more details.
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/

May 24, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 16
I believe he was after DIY power conditioners as am I. I saw a post here on head-fi last month about a balanced power conditioner using transformers, however I have an aversion against that sort of thing. I simply don't trust my equipment to have both Live and Neutral wires on a switch. I know my gilmore amp doesn't
rolleyes.gif

There have also been other relatively cheap ones involving varisters and caps.

May 24, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 16
yes, I was thinking about building one when I get my home rig after the summer, and was looking in the net for schematics, or kits.

What I need is some sort of mix between a power stripwith 4 or 6 outputs, which has some sort of filter, to clean the AC power. Also I need it to work eith 220v.

Manuel

May 25, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 16
indeed, just don't have the bling nor the patients to modify my exisitng equipment to use it.

May 25, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I simply don't trust my equipment to have both Live and Neutral wires on a switch. I know my gilmore amp doesn't

Just curious but why ?

I use a DPDT switch for all my AC and the only thing NOT switched is the safety ground.This is a very common practice in high end audio.

May 25, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 16
Let me elaborate. I fully trust my high end amp, and my low end cdplayer. I do not trust my 30 year old Tuner, and I definatly do not truse my Gilmore Dynalo since I remember connecting the torroid N directly to the board
wink.gif

May 27, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
Was this it?

Cetoole - The thread you referenced is mine, the Felicia constructors thread. It only produces balanced 240VAC (120-G-120) if you feed it 240AC. If you feed it 120VAC you get out filtered, balanced 120VAC (60-V-60), with the restriction that the transformer's ratings must be halved. When fed 240vac, either balanced or hot and neutral, it will produce filtered, balanced 240AC, without the need to downrate. The thread currently recommends using 2 175va rated transformers which when fed 120vac to yeild filtered, balanced 120VAC with a maximum continuous draw of 87watts, sufficient for most individual source level components. As the recommended transformers cost $9ea and the single filtering cap $4, the cost of producing each incremental isolated,filtered and balanced ac source is about $22 + connections.

May 27, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 16
Music Fidelity use choke regulated powersupplies in their equipment. And asside from the fact I think their amps are horrible, their cheaper cdplayer is a real gem, and the choke regulating definatly works for it.

All in all I like this design and cash permitting I think i'll roll my own version of this later this year.

May 28, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
All in all I like this design and cash permitting I think i'll roll my own version of this later this year.

Are you thinking about changing the design of the schematic??

If you ever do it, please let me know, I would be defenitely interested.

Manuel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back