DIY power bar/strip

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions' started by ferday, Apr 7, 2014.
  1. MikeyFresh

With all due respect (because there is no reason for a thread war) thats just your opinion, which you are entitled to, but it's not the gospel.

There are commercially available power distribution units from well respected manufacturers such as Essential Sound Products that do exactly as I am, deploying 20 amp receptacles in a 15 amp unit. It's neither against the law nor absurd, so long as the unit is not marketed falsely claiming full 20 amp compatibility. ESP clearly states their units are 15 amp rated. ESP's main line of business is not actually the home market, it's Pro Sound, if this were some sort of massive problem ESP would instead employ 15 amp receptacles.

I don't know ESP's reasons for using 20 amp Leviton receptacles, but they've been doing it for 20 years. There are other manufacturers of power distribution units that also use 20 amp outlets in a 15 amp rated unit, VooDoo Cables themselves do it in their Powermatic models, Balanced Power Technologies does it in various models, etc... if this were against the law or causing these manufacturers big liability issues, they simply wouldn't do it, their lawyers wouldn't let them.

Take a look at the various high-end "audio purposed" receptacles offered by the likes of Furutech, ESP, Cardas, VooDoo, PS Audio, Shunyata, etc... not one of them comes with any instructions specifically stating these outlets are only to be installed in a 20 amp circuit. Thats because it's not a requirement, however the opposite scenario is a different story, i.e. you of course can't use a 15 amp rated outlet in a 20 amp circuit.

In my case my reasons for doing this are twofold, the first being I can't find the IG 8200 (Hubbell's otherwise identical 15 amp version of what I'm using) with the spec grade phosphor bronze contacts and cryo treatment. For whatever reason, it's only offered on the 20 amp spec'd IG 8300. Other brands do offer something similar in a 15 amp rated outlet, but they are MUCH more expensive. I would rather pay less and have over spec'd outlets.

The second reason why I've chosen to use these 20 amp outlets is that I am the end user of this strip, for my own home stereo, and I have no 20 amp devices nor plans to acquire any. Even if I did, updating this strip to full 20 amp capability would of course be the least of my worries, I'd need an electrician to first install a 20 amp circuit into the room before using any 20 amp rated devices.

I had noted going back to one of your very first posts in this thread a decidedly negative tone, where you felt the need to announce who "the real experts" are on this topic. And while I have no issue with the folks you named and certainly have every reason to believe they are experts like so many people on this forum, I was puzzled by the negative connotation involved, i.e. that others should be wary/suspect of my posts (or those of a few others in this thread), because we aren't "the real experts" (according to you).

For the record, I have never once proclaimed myself an expert on this subject, nor do I care if you think that am or am not. I have made careful mention to anyone reading this thread that they need to research and adhere to all relevant safety precautions and local electrical code, and that they should not view my posts in this thread as some sort of definitive way of doing a DIY power strip project. So I'm covered in terms of not dictating to anyone how something should or should not be done.

Why do you think you can or should dictate to others exactly how something should or should not be done? I guess you must be in that expert group, or the DIY power strip police?

Your post tone should be more the suggestion, or even of a Q&A variety, where people can learn and either take or leave your input, without mistaking it for the be all/end all gospel that you seem to think it is. It just isn't, and I really don't care if you are an electrician.

2. MikeyFresh
    I finally completed this 2 years dormant project, building the 2nd of 2 DIY power strips.

I used Wago 221 lever nuts to allow for separate individual wire runs to each outlet straight from the IEC inlet, rather than a cascade or parallel wiring scheme like my other power strips employ.

PB251106.jpg

PB251105.jpg

PB261111.jpg

PB261112.jpg

PB261116.jpg

PB261113.jpg

Furutech Alpha12 OCC hook up wire
    Furutech FI-06 (G) IEC
    VooDoo Hubbell IG8300 duplex receptacles
    Wago 221 Lever Nuts
    ERS Cloth

Thenewguy007 likes this.
  3. HiGHFLYiN9
    Very nice! I'm fond of Hubbell outlets too, great bang for the buck and you can find contractor surplus for nice prices. I like the look of those thick Furutech hook-up wires.

MikeyFresh likes this.
  4. MikeyFresh
    Yes the Hubbell outlets have always served me well, they were originally standard equipment in the CablePro Noisetrapper power strip versions of the early 90s. I still have two of those.

I've also used the Jena Labs cryo treated version of the Hubbell 5362 in the wall, but even the regular industrial grade version you mention above is a high quality item.

Your Zynsonix stuff is also quite nice!