DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #451 of 464
If I recall our previous conversation right, Verum 2's going to be a weight-reduced single-sided planar right?

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #452 of 464
I even consider most M1060 buyers enthusiasts, albeit not willing to pay premium levels of cash for an Audeze or Hifiman.

I agreed with most everything your post said except for the excerpt above. I love my M1060, but I've also had Audeze, HiFiMan, Focal, MrSpeakers, etc. I've sold them all except my Aeon Flows (currently up for sale) in favor of the M1060. So I don't believe people who prefer the Monoliths are necessarily unwilling to pay more money, they just like what they like. I'm hoping when I do end up with a Verum 1 that I like it as much as if not more than my M1060, because that way it has a chance to stay around longer than the name brand headphones that came and went before it.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #453 of 464
Hello all!

I'm really interested in these phones, but besides listening to music I would also like to use them for gaming, so does any of you know what the soundstage of these like? One of the reviews stated, that it's wider than taller but I have no idea what that means. For me it would be important to pinpoint players using sound in games, so this is a great concern for me.

Here is the review I mentioned: "Sound stage was very wide but in your head like most planar presentation. Depth was okay but placement was a little muddy. These are nitpicks and compared to my highly modified HE-500 so not a fair fight.
Overall, there was more width than depth so there is an eliptical presentation to the sound."

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #454 of 464
Long story short to get a good sense of height you need highly resolving DAC & headamp so sound cues can pass through at all. It boils down to phase coherence, stereo jitter yada yada :D

Thank you for the quick reply, I hope I'll be fine AMP-wise. I was concerned about the accurancy of the soundstage, hence I was a bit dumbfolded by the expression of the reviewer. I always like to know where the footsteps and sounds come from in game, so if these headphones are accurate in that sense that would be great. So if I'm not mistaken, it means that the sounds coming from up or down are not that well placed, but sounds coming all around are accurate?

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #456 of 464
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #457 of 464
I don't want to get too much offtopic, but some random person on reddit writes something doesn't make it somehow reality. Also in that same message they are talking that somehow Sens 600 (or 6xx) is mid-fi, where is the line in terms of mid-fi and hi-fi? I would see 6xx series as hi-fi.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #458 of 464
I don't want to get too much offtopic, but some random person on reddit writes something doesn't make it somehow reality. Also in that same message they are talking that somehow Sens 600 (or 6xx) is mid-fi, where is the line in terms of mid-fi and hi-fi? I would see 6xx series as hi-fi.
I kinda wonder what OP would say about HD6__ but personally whatever 600 or 650 I find them utterly overhyped and I'm not the only one.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #459 of 464
I kinda wonder what OP would say about HD6__ but personally whatever 600 or 650 I find them utterly overhyped and I'm not the only one.

You're not the only one. I found them both boring. But hey that is perfectly fine, because without subjectivity in this hobby, we'd all have the same headphone and there would be no need for this place.

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #460 of 464
The centre top knob placed upsidedown (under the metal band) may give it a cleaner look I think.
And the connection sockets angle a little to high, that make the plug points to front horizontally. If I use a heavy cable that may affact the stability.

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #461 of 464
Wafflelron, hi! I read your thread and you made a mistake in tracing diaphragm
So let me explain how I did those mini speakers and I'm sure you understand about what I'm talking about

Step 1:

Tracing diaphragm

Please look, current in all 4 groups of traces flow in the same direction.

Step 2 - placing magnets between group of traces. How I made it I've shown on picture.

Step 3 - making a housing. That's the most simple. Just draw anything you want in any vector editor and cut it with laser.

Gray details are from steel, purple are from plastic.
If somebody is interested I'll explain how to make a membrane with conductor lines, what material should be used and how to assemble this.

That would be great. I I will try to fix my Hifiman and 400s with new foil.....

Aug 19, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #463 of 464
I have Hifiman Edition X version 2 headphone, its left channel stops working, the service centre company not cooperative to solve this issue. Can you please suggest me if you can provide me diaphragm for this headphone as I have checked other parts are working well.

Same problem here on my 400s model. Did use it only for 2 years. Then during a heatwave in The Netherlands, the glue on the diaphragm did melt (I think).
- Tension is gone
- Channel imbalance
- Lack of sound stage
- 30% reduction on one side

So.. Hifiman sucks in durability. I did ask them how to fix
answer: "You can buy the Sunvara. And send your 400s back to use".

So F%^&CK Hifiman!

Aug 19, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #464 of 464
Same problem here on my 400s model. Did use it only for 2 years. Then during a heatwave in The Netherlands, the glue on the diaphragm did melt (I think).
- Tension is gone
- Channel imbalance
- Lack of sound stage
- 30% reduction on one side

So.. Hifiman sucks in durability. I did ask them how to fix
answer: "You can buy the Sunvara. And send your 400s back to use".

So F%^&CK Hifiman!
How generous of them to offer you a pair of Sunvara. It's a limited run that adopts a sundara-style headband and susvara-style earcups which house two broken drivers. Matching two working drivers proves too hard a task for Fang, so he takes the broken one out from your 400s and unglued the other one. Now both channels are even!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back