DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #151 of 464
Mandrake, really good question! I take glass and water. Then I moisten glass and put TWO future diaphragms on wet glass.
Here is photo of future left and right channels on dry glass.
kGTgFHDXP1w.jpg

Then I take credit card ( I recommend Visa Infinite or at least Platinum :ksc75smile: ) and start removing air bubbles under the film. They are clearly visible. Once no single air bubble under the diaphragm I glue spacers on both channels and then cut off excess film.
After assembling to be sure everything is right I measure resonance frequency of both channel. Difference is about 3 Hz only.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #152 of 464
Thanks,
Quite innovative. Do you just eyeball the location of that spacer or use a jig or something to accurately locate it?

Looking at the pictures it looks quite good.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #158 of 464
Can I buy this headphone already? ^_^

I must say 'no'. What If I've created some awful sounding headphones? I want to sell my headphones only after I receive some reviews and better to let people listen to them before they buy. Maybe some moneyback but it's hard to arrange across the ocean.

Trying to be honest with head-fi society. My goal is not to sell several pieces and left people disappointed. Call this vainglory, but I want to be proud of my work and know that buyer will listen to them and not just store on a shelf.

Next week I should finish first headphones as they should look and work in a small scale production. Then I plan to ask for reviews from several well-known headphone reviewers. I hope they would be interested.

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #161 of 464
Yes, good luck. If you need a volunteer, that is me. The only issue is that I am an engineer, not a poet...

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #162 of 464
Hi Garuspik,

I suggest another way to you have a product to sell and continue developed your headphone. You could try to find a chinese headphone to use as a donor, like supelux hd-330 ou some wood headphone from alibaba express, then you develop a 3D print model for internal parts and provide files to download, finally you sell a assembled membrane with frame and custom magnets.

Your customer will be able to print parts, buy this chinese headphone, then put everything together and enjoy a planar headphone for a good price, your responsibility cover only the membrane, it is easy and cheap to send mail post office.

Good luck.

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #163 of 464
Yes, good luck. If you need a volunteer, that is me. The only issue is that I am an engineer, not a poet...

Same as me :wink:

Hi Garuspik,

I suggest another way to you have a product to sell and continue developed your headphone. You could try to find a chinese headphone to use as a donor, like supelux hd-330 ou some wood headphone from alibaba express, then you develop a 3D print model for internal parts and provide files to download, finally you sell a assembled membrane with frame and custom magnets.

Your customer will be able to print parts, buy this chinese headphone, then put everything together and enjoy a planar headphone for a good price, your responsibility cover only the membrane, it is easy and cheap to send mail post office.

Good luck.

Oh no, that was my first idea to take some parts from Chinese headphones.
Unfortunately, no cup suited my goal - the biggest possible membrane and magnet system. So I've made with CNC several samples.

Then I tried to use 3D printing. My magnet system is so powerful that broke into parts 3d printed models with 1.5mm thick wall.
So everything in this headphones is made from scratch. Heart of the headphones is membrane + magnet system. Assembling is rather difficult and dangerous. My numerous bruises are witnesses :wink:

Nov 2, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #164 of 464
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Hi Garuspik,

This article from innerfidelity has the methodology to analyze headphone response, I think the 300Hz test is the best, because even with ordinary microphone is possible to measure de headphone and validate the effects that you can found in the methodology, in my case the 50Hz test not seems correct, I think a dummy head microphone is needed to this test give the correctly results.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back