DIY Hi Fi "Chazz 2" vs Bottlehead S.E.X. vs. Woo Audio 3
Jan 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

inburrito

New Head-Fier
Have the Bottlehead now, which I built a few years ago.  Very nice headphone amp.  Overkill, though, in terms of power (2W).  Am considering trying the Chazz and/or the Woo 3.  Anyone heard 2 or even 3 of these?

My cans are AT 900 Ltd and AKG 701s.

I am probably going to order the Chazz to try no matter what; just curious about opinions.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't know the Chazz but also built the Bottlehead and am now running a recent Woo 3. The S.E.X has lots of flexibility and power and can drive low- and high-Z phones well. I think I prefer the Woo's slightly more robust sound, at least with the Teles I have now, but it strikes me as a sideways move for a Bottlehead owner. I suspect others will recommend the pricier WA6 or WA2. I have to say though, that I prefer the sound of the 3 to the 6 with my phones, and despite warnings to the contrary, am as I type this listening to Sam Baker on the Denon D7000s via the 3 and it's effing glorious, and even better with the T1s. It's a fine amp for the money.

o

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, O.

I actually didn't mention that I also owned a Woo 3, almost 5 years ago.  I liked it quite a bit (and don't see why someone would want a transformer output when it's not necessary for impedance matching).

So.. just cause I've never heard one and it looks like a great design.. I think I'll try the Chazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back