DIY Headphone Cables 101: Noob questions about cabling advice for Focal Utopia
Dec 12, 2016 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
Hi all,

I've done some soldering here and there and built small little interconnects however I'm thinking of making my own headphone cables for my recently acquired Focal Utopia headphones. I've picked up my LEMO connectors and have spare plugs at home already and now looking at cabling.

As it's easy for me to access Oyaide cables, I've been thinking about these :-

1) PFTE +pt AWG26 
or
2) PTFE +Alpha AWG26

I would guess solid core wouldn't be worth it if it broke and either of the two options above would do the job. My noob questions are :-

1) would AWG26 suffice 2x channel (total 4 core) or should I look at 4x channel (total 8 core)?
2) How long should I buy? I'm looking at final std 1.3m length headphone cable. Would buying 8m (assume 4 core x2m, budgeting in braiding) be considered excessive?
3) as I've not braided before,
   a) should it be tight/loose?
   b) up to the Y-split, wrap per channel or wrap all 4 core (or 8 core) into one?
   c) is it all worth it?

Apologies for the very basic questions, 'cos as mentioned, I've not built a headphone cable before.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Canare and Mogami quad core microphone cable is popular for make headphone cables.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 4
  Canare and Mogami quad core microphone cable is popular for make headphone cables.

Cheers. I'm kinda sticking to the Oyaide ones for now as they're easily accessible for me, Just that they'll require manual braiding/sleeving as such my questions above.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 4
I suppose you can easily detect the sonic difference made by the cables, with a pair of $4000 phones. What is uncertain is whether the wires you listed will push the sound toward the direction you want.

since the wire jacket material is already teflon and pretty durable/slick, additional sleeving is probably not necessary.

anyway, this is the DIY section, why not just build it and see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back