DIY headband pad for Sennheiser HD 565
Jun 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

amitsi

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Posts
7
Likes
0
Hi all, my very first post in your great community!
 
Having recently acquired a set of HD565 and got stuck in finding a headband pad which I have read here is no longer available. Also read that the HD580/HD600 headband pad can be used with “spacers” but I thought I would go the DIY way instead.
Materials used:
 
  • Black velour stripe (approx. 20cm X 25cm)
  • Foam block (approx. 20cm X 5cm, thickness 2,5cm)
  • Plastic (PVC?) stripe (21cm X 2,45cm thickness 0,8mm)
  • Contact adhesive glue
  • Pins
  • Utility knife
 
I will let the photos do (most of) the talking, but I will share some tips below
 
 
 
I cut/formed the foam to the shape of the headband, going with a straight piece will give you a lot of wrinkles at best case.
 
 

 
 
 
An “H” shape was cut in the middle of the stripe, shown in photo the version with a solid center which didn’t worked out well. It was used to pass the fabric on the back side, to form the fabric’s end shape and to stretch the fabric.
 

 
 
 
Velour I used can handle some stretching on one direction but a lot of stretching on the other direction, not sure if this is characteristic of all velour fabrics.
It does need some stretching, I think I should have stretched it more as the final placement has caused some wrinkles.
 
Methodology was: pass the fabric, stretch, secure with pins at the back side, repeat stretching and securing and when you are happy with the result apply glue to the mating surface of fabric to plastic stripe.
 
 

 
 
 
 
I also applied some glue to the back after I cut the excess fabric, but you need to be careful as fabric is on tension and may slip out. Tolerances are small so you need to keep the back side clean otherwise the adjusters may have troubled moving.
 

 
 
 
 
In place
 

 
 
Comments, recommendations, questions are all welcome.
 
PS. I have started a “DIY earpad for Sennheiser HD 565”  as a matter of fact for the 545, 580, 600, 650 as well, which I believe is going great. I could use some worn out earpads of above models to finalize the guide as I am using the plastic parts of the worn out earpads.
 
Earpad donations are most welcome, pm me if you are willing to help.
 
Jun 21, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 6

amitsi

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Posts
7
Likes
0
Hi
Unfortunately I have no right for posting pictures yet; I guess when I will  have some more posts pictures will appear.
If you provide me with an email address I can email them to you.
 
 
Mar 28, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 6

Bartmil

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 22, 2016
Posts
29
Likes
12
Hello! I have some questions!
 
Did you sanded, the excess of Contact adhesive glue, on the back?
Did you sanded or cuted, the excess of "Plastic", on the sides?
How did you make the "arc" on the "Plastic" shape?
 
Im trying to make a headband pad, for my Titton Pro+, after covering the broken "Haste", with carbon fiber. Im close to finish this mod, and im very excited, to open a thread with this mod. Its rly interesting and beauty, mod.
 
And your DIY headband pad meethod, were the greatest, that i found on internet. A awesome work! Congrats man!
 
Thank you very much, for this thread!
 
Mar 29, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 6

amitsi

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Posts
7
Likes
0
  Hello! I have some questions!
 
Did you sanded, the excess of Contact adhesive glue, on the back?
Did you sanded or cuted, the excess of "Plastic", on the sides?
How did you make the "arc" on the "Plastic" shape?
 
Im trying to make a headband pad, for my Titton Pro+, after covering the broken "Haste", with carbon fiber. Im close to finish this mod, and im very excited, to open a thread with this mod. Its rly interesting and beauty, mod.
 
And your DIY headband pad meethod, were the greatest, that i found on internet. A awesome work! Congrats man!
 
Thank you very much, for this thread!


Hi,
 
Not that I can recall a lot of details but...
 
There was no need to sand the excess of Contact adhesive glue as there was enough space, after all when this glue dries there is only a thin film left
No extra cut was needed, the plastic had to have the correct size to exactly fit the grooves and it was cut at this size before attaching the rest.
Arc of plastic was following the foam
 
Now that I think it over only thing that could be possibly improved in procedure is that the foam should be cut at a more "closed" arc as forcing it then to place would stretch it tight and avoid wrinkles.
 
Wish you luck in your project!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top