DIY Group Buy Discussion Thread status
May 10, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, when I saw the new Group Buy forum, I looked for the new Guidelines and couldn't find them. Not that I plan on starting a Group Buy (not enough free time for something like that), but I am curious what Jude decided on as the "Final" guidelines.

May 10, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 9
I'll guess the management ought to change/"unstick"/delete the sticky thread telling us groupbuys are forbibben and not allowed.
If Jude or anyone else want some inspiration how group buys _could_ be managed, check here what I have written.
http://sjostromaudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2

May 10, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Well, as you can see from reading the original thread, there was some bad blood that come from it. And for better or worse, Group Buy's dwindled to almost a non-existence, particulary in the DIY dept.

As it stands, you still need to contact Jude before posting any Group Buy threads. That much is unchanged.

-Ed

May 10, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Being 95% through a rare group buy here, I just want to say that the "Non Profit" dictum is a very severe limitation. I'm glad I did what I did (at this point in time) and I was happy to return something to this community, but I will think long and hard before doing this again, especially for something more complex such as a PCB.

It is not possible to do a "Non-Profit" group buy if "Non-Profit" means breaking even. You can't break even; you either lose money or you make money. Yesterday, I was $60 in the hole. Tomorrow, I may be even depending on certain known issues that are unresolved at the moment. I will not know where I stand for weeks... until all my shipments are received and my "products" are "accepted" by my "customers".

If someone is unhappy with their purchase, it's either tough luck for them, or I am back in the hole. Theoretically, everybody could send their product back, and I am in the hole for the entire deal ($1000).

I am not addressing the philosophical issue of for-profit vs the forum needs and requirements, etc. I am only addressing the practical aspects of organizing a group buy. My group buy was very simple, yet frustratingly difficult to implement given the rules, which I followed (probably foolishly) to the letter.

Any commercial transaction that involves procuring a product and distributing it inevitably results in unexpected costs. The forum rules effectively put the group buy coordinator at risk for all these unexpected costs. That's a losing proposition.

May 10, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 9
I believe that this is the reason why the DIY forum here is losing some activity. Headwize is groing strong again and many other forums where more permissive rules exist are apearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back