DIY Earbuds
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #3,871 of 4,707
Here I am sharing my experiment with the result that lead to PK Hearts.
To replicate this You will need a few more tools and parts.
Part list is on the bottom.

P_20210815_090229.jpg

The story:
I have experimented with the shell I showed in this post. After the second attemt to finish those damn mmxc connectors on the cable, and two broken front cover, I found my eyes pop open when I heard the driver in that. I have tried all my shells with the 14.8mm titanium driver, until I have just found out this particular driver likes open back, with very little damping. I have measured the vent on the blue metal shell, it is 6mm in diameter. So, this was my target vent area.

The driver is called "14.8mm 32 Ohm Speaker Unit Flat Earphones DIY Titanium Diaphragm Earbuds Drivers 116dB"
Link: here. If the link stops working, then search for the title above.
The cover will not fit PK shells! It needs a modified original PK shell.
If You have read my post about the blue metal shell, You already know that You can use that without replacing the cover. Just don't try to remove it.
I turn back to the PK shell, as I will rather direct solder new cable anytime than make those damn mmcx connectors again.

So, back to the PK shell.
I measured the vent holes, and calculated the vent hole area.
PK-hearts-01.png
You see, the original vent is not sufficient enough, not even close.
But I did not want to drill a 6mm hole on the back, that would have been look dumb.

I had to find shapes, and calculate the total area to match the 28 sqmm hole.
Here are some expamples.
PK-hearts-02.png
I wanted to have something "final" not just messing with a shell. So I drawn shapes on the shell with a pencil.
I also needed to be able to measure the area, so I started with circles and squares (rectangles).
On the last two You see how the heart shape came together with aproximated area.
There are other shapes You can draw, of course, until You follow the vent area numbers.

:bulb:I am interested in Your ideas, if You have drawing skills, and able to measure the drawing area as well.

The vent cover / damping is thin felt glued in, I used black and red to mimic playing cards.
The audition result is very impressive. I have always heard "unheard" potential in this driver, but until this could not make sound it this good.

@rprodrigues
The cable I use is available with bending jack only in black.
I have asked the store for other colours, but no other is available than black.

These are the parts needed:

You can buy these on Aliexpress on the links above.
These parts may not sold in 1pcs quantity, so the total BOM would be ~€36 +VAT excl. shipping at the moment if You do not already have parts.

Tools I used:
  • PCB drill or dremmel
  • Various drills and routing heads around 0.8-1mm
  • measuring caliper
  • pencil
  • calculator
  • craft glue for the felt

final notes:
The PK shell in this article needs the cable tunnel and bass ports to be drilled as well.
The bass port is not open on the end, You need to drill it open, and the cable tunnel depending on Your cable diameter.

It is a good DIY project. Have fun! :beerchug:

It has seemed like a great job, in fact the way to approach it to achieve the desired result is outstanding, in the graph I see that it is superior to transparent film in the low range, and this for me is exceptional, since it is a controller that I like much.

Thank you very much for sharing your work.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #3,872 of 4,707
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #3,875 of 4,707
Hehe, I would add this: considering the buds I removed them from were 20 years old - would You believe??-- its crazy.
Find this song on Tidle or Spotify I try with "red film"
I test all my buds and "red film" over performed every single model, bass wise

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #3,876 of 4,707
@earfanatic

It is impressive how linear is the low end. Congrats!

Is the low end really that good?

It has seemed like a great job, in fact the way to approach it to achieve the desired result is outstanding, in the graph I see that it is superior to transparent film in the low range, and this for me is exceptional, since it is a controller that I like much.

Thank you very much for sharing your work.

On "red film" ...yes :wink:
Agreed.

It has the best sub-bass extension with the least bass roll off (almost none), of any driver that I have tried.

Here's my measurements when tuning, red was without mods to housing/foam/vent.
DIY PK1 150Ω redfilm re-tune 2.jpg

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #3,877 of 4,707
Hellboy buds full build (buds + cable)
For this model I used 150ohm "blue glue" driver and silver plated cable
This driver is one of the top 3 DIY drivers from my collection
HellboyBuds.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #3,878 of 4,707
One basic question. I have few earbuds and cpl of them are actually broken. Like Yincrow X6 Mic is no longer working, Monk Plus is almost broken and 3.5mm Plug is breaking and I can see the inner wires coming out too. One more earbud which I ordered looks very good and very good quality, but the sound is very poor. No Bass and the sound is ultra thin and harsh sounding and my old Apple iPod Nano earbuds sounds very good but it does not have Mic. I am thinking to actually replace cable of these earbuds but have no clue how easy it will be and what all tools I will require.

Is there any Post somewhere which gives me very good idea how to do that and also the tools required for that? Appreciate if someone can pls suggest. Thanks.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #3,879 of 4,707
One basic question. I have few earbuds and cpl of them are actually broken. Like Yincrow X6 Mic is no longer working, Monk Plus is almost broken and 3.5mm Plug is breaking and I can see the inner wires coming out too. One more earbud which I ordered looks very good and very good quality, but the sound is very poor. No Bass and the sound is ultra thin and harsh sounding and my old Apple iPod Nano earbuds sounds very good but it does not have Mic. I am thinking to actually replace cable of these earbuds but have no clue how easy it will be and what all tools I will require.

Is there any Post somewhere which gives me very good idea how to do that and also the tools required for that? Appreciate if someone can pls suggest. Thanks.

On the same YT channel you can find more interesting stuffs

Aug 18, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #3,881 of 4,707
It's a beast! Isn't the cable too stiff? Does it stay in thee ear easily?
Cable is very flexible and soft because I use twisting method. Braiding solution can be stiff, but again, it's depends on actual wire that you use.
Paracord alone, it's light and soft. I used 1m length, not 1.2-1.5m and if I need more I can always use extension cable.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #3,882 of 4,707
Cable is very flexible and soft because I use twisting method. Braiding solution can be stiff, but again, it's depends on actual wire that you use.
Paracord alone, it's light and soft. I used 1m length, not 1.2-1.5m and if I need more I can always use extension cable.
I am looking for paracord / fabric / textile cable, that looks like this:
kabel.png

I could take apart a cheap earphone but the jack is not even plated, and the cable itself looks very thin.
So far I haven't found it on Ali.

Aug 18, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #3,883 of 4,707
I am looking for paracord / fabric / textile cable, that looks like this:
kabel.png
I could take apart a cheap earphone but the jack is not even plated, and the cable itself looks very thin.
So far I haven't found it on Ali.
You mean like this :wink:
1629273302361.png

1629273323551.png

You can find beads and paracord locally. Also, you can look for shoelaces for sport sneakers.

BTW ... you are still not interested in my offer that I send you in PM last time? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back