DIY Earbuds
Jun 20, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #3,631 of 4,707
Nice projects :)
To decrease high mids I'd try to increase venting (make a new vent on the back or make an existing one larger) or decrease the amount of foam inside on the driver. Probably a thinner foam on the driver plus a thin material on the vents
Before I start testing with MX500 shell, I tried your suggestion by decrease the amount of foam (stock shell setup) and I got some promising results in 3K-4K area.
They didn't use standard horseshoe black foam which we often use. The stock black foam is thin and dense as it is pressed
xxx.jpg

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #3,632 of 4,707
Before I start testing with MX500 shell, I tried your suggestion by decrease the amount of foam (stock shell setup) and I got some promising results in 3K-4K area.
They didn't use standard horseshoe black foam which we often use. The stock black foam is thin and dense as it is pressed
xxx.jpg
So I guess the white cotten filter is the way to go.
As a finishing touch, you can add "Double Foam" to increase the bass, and you're done! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #3,633 of 4,707
So I guess the white cotten filter is the way to go.
As a finishing touch, you can add "Double Foam" to increase the bass, and you're done! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Cotton filter + 2 pieces (1/3 horseshoe foam) on the vents. Without filters the sound loses clarity. I hope that something in between will be optimal :thumbsup:
BTW... we already have nickname for your double foam mode, did you forget?
"Cold Weather" mode

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #3,634 of 4,707
Cotton filter + 2 pieces (1/3 horseshoe foam) on the vents. Without filters the sound loses clarity. I hope that something in between will be optimal :thumbsup:
BTW... we already have nickname for your double foam mode, did you forget?
"Cold Weather" mode
Why don't you take off your old hat, forget the "Cold Weather" mode and use this "Thin black foam" for "Double Foam"?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33019313027.html

Thin Black Foams.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #3,635 of 4,707
Why don't you take off your old hat, forget the "Cold Weather" mode and use this "Thin black foam" for "Double Foam"?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33019313027.html

Don't be mad at me :confused:. Ok for that kind of foams we will call it "Spring Time" mode :wink:
I use these foams https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881765999.html
But as I already told you, foams not affect the bass but fit, which is crucial for better bass and less harsh treble.
To get better bass, you need to create more pressure in driver cover and shell.
For "nozzle" type buds and IEMs is not that hard to achieve that (some useful info) but with "flat head" buds it's a bit tricky, and you can improvise

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #3,636 of 4,707
:grinning: Don't be mad at me :confused:. Ok for that kind of foams we will call it "Spring Time" mode :wink:
I use these foams https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881765999.html
But as I already told you, foams not affect the bass but fit, which is crucial for better bass and less harsh treble.
To get better bass, you need to create more pressure in driver cover and shell.
For "nozzle" type buds and IEMs is not that hard to achieve that (some useful info) but with "flat head" buds it's a bit tricky, and you can improvise
Nothing, I'm not mad at you. :grinning:
I know your favourite, but it's puffy, itches when it touches my skin and costs about ten times more than my recommendation.
What's so good about it? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,637 of 4,707
xxx.jpg
I recommend reading this article for those who try tuning any earphone or headphone.
It shows the results of different modifications, and how those affect frequency response.
Link: A GLIMPSE INTO THE SECRETS OF HEADPHONE VOICING

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #3,638 of 4,707
Nothing, I'm not mad at you. :grinning:
I know your favourite, but it's puffy, itches when it touches my skin and costs about ten times more than my recommendation.
What's so good about it?
I never said that they are my favorite eartips. This was my answer
Yup, they thick but very good quality. I rarely use it, in 99% cases donut foams are my way to go
What's so good about it you ask?
They are durable, and if you use some shell that has sharp edges which causing you some kind of discomfort, this eartips can help :wink:
You probably haven't come across a case like that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #3,639 of 4,707
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #3,640 of 4,707
I just finished my hybrid shell model. For this, I used a 300ohm driver N52 magnet, Tingo T200 cable (just temporarily) and aluminum shell (front part only).
300ohm driver requires swapping of this tick filter because it already has slightly recessed mids. Treble is laid-back. Bass is really energetic, N52 magnet does a good job here.
Without the filter, mids come in front, a little too much for my taste. A thin filter with a pair of punched holes provides solid sound.
I like these aluminum shells because are ultra-light and the driver fits perfectly. The only problem is that they are too shallow (very small cavity size).
The back of the shell is a hand-made wooden piece. By adding this wooden part I got medium cavity size which adds a bit "large room" effect
hybrid.jpg
I tried the same tuning that has HiFi Boy Dream with full horseshoe foam on my 300ohm N52 driver which has recessed upper mids and I got this result.
xxx1.jpg
n52.jpg

This driver took me the most time to tune, it's as stubborn as a mule, but there is a cure for everything :wink:
BTW...You can find different tuning papers here

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #3,641 of 4,707
I tried the same tuning that has HiFi Boy Dream with full horseshoe foam on my 300ohm N52 driver which has recessed upper mids and I got this result.
xxx1.jpg
n52.jpg
This driver took me the most time to tune, it's as stubborn as a mule, but there is a cure for everything :wink:
BTW...You can find different tuning papers here
Nice results! I like those graphs.
Are you planning to post measurements from other buds You have?

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #3,642 of 4,707
Nice results! I like those graphs.
Are you planning to post measurements from other buds You have?
Probably :wink: But to be clear, these graphs are not accurate like those that you see for IEMs and headphones where they use professional measurement gears.
The graphs that I posted earlier, should show only the difference between different mods, i.e. tuning.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #3,643 of 4,707
Probably :wink: But to be clear, these graphs are not accurate like those that you see for IEMs and headphones where they use professional measurement gears.
The graphs that I posted earlier, should show only the difference between different mods, i.e. tuning.
You are right, this need to be noted for our measurements. I am still waiting for the ear coupler to be delivered. I cant wait to try making some mods, and measure it! :ksc75smile:
My ear adopts easily, and after a few tests I can not tell small differences. This would help me a lot.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #3,644 of 4,707
You are right, this need to be noted for our measurements. I am still waiting for the ear coupler to be delivered. I cant wait to try making some mods, and measure it! :ksc75smile:
My ear adopts easily, and after a few tests I can not tell small differences. This would help me a lot.
Yes, that's normal. A measurement rig really helps a lot when tuning, and it also speeds up the process. Luckily, the equipment for these rigs is not as expensive as for say headphones and speakers. For all those interested, this post is a nice introduction https://www.audioreviews.org/rig-calibration/
Of course, there are other mics, and you can always use your DAC / Amp device. This is my current setup
IMG_20210621_141604.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #3,645 of 4,707
Yes, that's normal. A measurement rig really helps a lot when tuning, and it also speeds up the process. Luckily, the equipment for these rigs is not as expensive as for say headphones and speakers. For all those interested, this post is a nice introduction https://www.audioreviews.org/rig-calibration/
Of course, there are other mics, and you can always use your DAC / Amp device. This is my current setup
It amazes me how different our IMM-6 measurements are. It shows you how important it is to realize that couplers, amp and practices make a massive difference in how a graph appears.

My rig:
IMG_20201225_184050.jpg

N55 64Ω vs 120Ω Be.jpg

I was also blown away by how close to an IEM graph my earbud measurements seem to come. Definitely helps me correlate tuning changes to what I hear. Also to create a custom EQ if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back