DIY Earbuds
Jun 8, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #3,571 of 4,705
Hahaha sorry I had made it black and white but I can't change it anymore, I have tried but I can't chose another pic.

As far as the tube goes, from what I had read and understood is it works like a horn, amplifying specific frequencies, mainly bass and mid bass but also effect all frequency (acting like a filter adding resistance) when I was younger , I worked at a car garage that made speaker and sub boxes, we used acoustic wadding and baffles to play with the frequency response of woofer

So adding resistance would lower the bass (I'm sure you understand all of this)
The horn is something I began to understand in the diy iems thread, so depending on length, shape and bend it tends to change response and can add a reverb or even a slight delay in some frequency (the air needs to travel through it)
In this case after playing with the tubing I was able to raise the sub bass a bit without making the mid bass too boomy.

I am thinking, after summer, when renovations are put back on pause, I am going to experiment with tubing more

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #3,572 of 4,705
Hahaha sorry I had made it black and white but I can't change it anymore, I have tried but I can't chose another pic.

As far as the tube goes, from what I had read and understood is it works like a horn, amplifying specific frequencies, mainly bass and mid bass but also effect all frequency (acting like a filter adding resistance) when I was younger , I worked at a car garage that made speaker and sub boxes, we used acoustic wadding and baffles to play with the frequency response of woofer

So adding resistance would lower the bass (I'm sure you understand all of this)
The horn is something I began to understand in the diy iems thread, so depending on length, shape and bend it tends to change response and can add a reverb or even a slight delay in some frequency (the air needs to travel through it)
In this case after playing with the tubing I was able to raise the sub bass a bit without making the mid bass too boomy.

I am thinking, after summer, when renovations are put back on pause, I am going to experiment with tubing more
Again renovations. How many houses do you have? :joy:

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #3,573 of 4,705
To change avatar don't use the same name of image and go with 128px x 128px. They said that 400px x 400px will
work but no. Also, you need to wait more than 5-10min for image to refresh :frowning2:

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,574 of 4,705
Hi guys! Long time no see. I'm glad I checked this thread out, looks like the conversations are still healthy and insightful! Especially what @Themilkman46290 said that got me back into my spirits after a burnout.

It's over a year now since I started making earbuds, tweaking them and learning with the thread, and I can never be more grateful to you all, not just in modding knowledge, but also in audiophile philosophies. Thank you guys for being part of my journey into this never ending rabbit hole and I'm gonna continue this I get bored till I can't do it no more 😁

With that aside, I'm gonna report some builds I did in the past months:

So I finally bought a Pink dot with the proper faceplates, although at an expense of 3 other pairs, from a very suspicious shop. I actually planned to sell these as an earbud but these things are DIY-unfriendly, low yield and quality inconsistent drivers (they DISTORT! And its most likely because it's an old driver design) so I just scraped the whole pairs and use some of em for future builds, and I can't really buy this driver properly anymore due to those seller I bought from cranking the price and potentially scamming people with their inconsistencies 😟. I have like 5 pairs in total now (including the metal faceplate ones), I'm reaching masochistic levels for these drivers but it's worth it once you get a perfect pair like I did. 😊
IMG_20210603_212442.jpg

I used a red marker than the usual for these engraved markings. Looks dope!
If I can describe the pink dots more detailed (compared to my info dump section for these drivers), I'd say these defy the usual tropes of an earbud. Bass is massive but tight, sunken lower midrange but prominent upper vocal presence, sparkly highs, claustrophobic soundstage yet super accurate positional ques and imaging. It's a breath of fresh air for people whose tired of the same safe tuning, and I dare say this is my bass endgame. It's that crazy and that's the reason why I kept coming back, and I did not tune it further (just sticked the drivers on the shell with horseshoe foam!)
16231580233551382305077905028474.jpg

Yes, I am using a cable from FAAEAL lol
So for the green dots, I finally found a way to shift the 5khz bump and warmen up the signature some more on MX500 shells, just by putting a full horseshoe foam (the ones pre installed on the 64ohm N52 drivers) and I had great results! The bass got more presence, mids got more warm, and the 5khz bump (which is present at this model and the red dots) shifted into 7khz-8khz and turned it into a capable v-shaped pair! Can't wait to play around with the red dots next!

I did this build along with my pink dot projects. These drivers started as a prebuilt Ty Hi-Z, into a wooden shell and with center vents drilled, and now back to its former glory, on an MX500 shell!
IMG_20210508_140033.jpg

Since I already did an irreversible mod on its former self, what I did to the centre vent is I dabbed a small dot of hot glue on it and voila! Center vent sealed! Put the usual horseshoe foam in the shell and it sounds the same like I remembered the first time I got addicted into this hobby. Brings me to tears a bit 😔
IMG_20210508_144812.jpg

Looks cool, although I'm a bit worried about the choice of cable I used as these are known to oxidise and stiffen badly, but oh well. I heard there is a mainland special version of the Hi-Z 32ohms in this same shell, I guess I copied that 😂

The drivers came from a freebie prebuilt that came with the pink dots I bought at the sus shop, thin tpe cable and an interesting standard shell with no markings! Aside from the looks, these are pretty dang capable! The vocal performance stands out although it sounds the usual earbuds on the other parts, so I dismantled all of it and I thought that an open back mod might do this justice!
IMG_20210513_214031.jpg

IMG_20210513_213515.jpg

The diaphragm looks and feels stiffer than let's say, like a Vido diaphragm would be. No wonder the vocals were pleasant.
I used my spare black shells, drilled a huge hole to the lip side of the shell to fit in a 5mm IEM nozzle that I scrapped from a broken IEM, put the usual horseshoe foam on shell, and voila, here's the result!
IMG_20210520_174208.jpg

I know it kinda looks janky and looks like it won't fit well but it actually fits fine for my big ears.

The warm, vocal centric signature got more enhanced, and surprisingly the open back gave subtle but effective results in the overturning, the soundstage just got even bigger! Definitely a keeper now.

IMG_20210520_011922.jpg

Here's a photo of the earbuds with an eartip attached to the nozzle (note: they sound horrible if you're curious 😂)

I was bored one day, found some spare vido shells and I tried to carve a custom shape with it. I was mainly inspired by Thailand modders with their beautiful moulded MX500 shells. I picked the white one because it was easy to carve a shape off, and also my imperfections would be less noticeable, and also added a bass port in the side for tuning. Here's the result! I'm pretty satisfied, aaaaand I'm still thinking of a proper driver to mount this on, probably a Vido? Let's see in the future 🤓
IMG_20210408_034626.jpg

Mock-up build.

The pandemic boredom struck once again and I made a scrap cable build using parts of broken earbuds and cables in my drawer. It went pretty well! I learned how to seal those scrap jack and splitter well with some hot glue and cleaning and I'd say, it's effective! I put on my retuned "DIY Sharp MD which I put full horseshoe foams in the drivers themselves + center foam on the lips covering the coil vents. Pretty good build but I'm worried about the build quality of these cables cause its literally held together by glue! 😅
IMG_20210606_020302.jpg

I think I made the splitter length too long, but oh well, it's more manageable than the Vido stock cable.

One day, I was a bit bored (you'd be guessing that I have too much free time at this point 😂) and opened up the drivers of my KAPH SHE800 prebuilts. Unfortunately I broke one of the drivers, leaving me an option to put another driver, take faceplate and put it in the SHE3800 shell.
IMG_20210410_151439.jpg

Here's how the KAPH SHE3800 drivers looked like.
So I picked my previous Awei ES-10 build earlier and transplanted the drivers there then added a full horseshoe foam. The old EMX500 like signature of the old ES-10 mod became bassier and warmer, with little expense to the good treble extention. The bass more boomy and less tight, just like I wanted it to sound for the past year, and yes I've been tuning this driver for a year now. Tuning it because my target sound for this project was basshead, and I'm so happy I nailed it!
IMG_20210608_205415.jpg

Funnily enough, the cable I used for this also came in that sus shop.
IMG_20210220_022846.jpg

Awei ES-10 drivers. Fairly magnetic Vido-type drivers, has been really good in every shell I have put it over the past year. (I might make a separate post regarding this lol)

I found my old bro's beat up and broken earpods and I had this spontaneous idea of enhancing it and putting my scrapped MEMT R7 shell (since it uses the same size of drivers).
The shell interior of the Apple Earpods shell looks like there's minimal venting and all out closed back so I tuned the metal shell's vent by putting a double sided foam tape from 3M called VHB, and I stuck with it. Mimicked the same earpod signature with tremendous boomy bass, these are definitely earbuds that you don't wanna wear with foamies on 😂
20210607_150328.jpg

Despite the lips of the shell not flushing in seamlessly with the faceplate, it actually is comfortable to wear naked.

As for some future builds, I'm finally making the dual diaphragm MMCX build that I've been waiting for next month, and possibly the big solder biocellulose drivers that @robar mentioned because I'm such a big solder nerd 😂 so stay tuned if you guys are interested!

Attachments

• IMG_20210520_174208.jpg
    IMG_20210520_174208.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #3,575 of 4,705
Only one apartment, but it was a bit of an old s*it hole, soviet wallpaper, everything was failing, and since I don't have the money to pay someone, I do it all myself, no help, and mainly using hand tools, so far, tor out the kitchen and bathroom, removed the old pipes, and flooring, teardown the walls and rebuild walss and plumbing took me a few months last year, earlier this year I built the main furniture and installed the kitchen, then I took a break for working, now I get back to framing doors, installing sliding doors, next is the floors

Wish I could afford the help, but I have trust issues (I worked construction in my mid 20's learned that a lot of people cut corners) but I like working with my hands so it's actually kind of fun

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3,576 of 4,705
Yes! Thick bass
if so, then i assumes that it also identical with 19-20k driver
my 19-20k driver has similar frequency response as fengru's emx500, thick 100hz mid bass mountain driver.
I "chop" those mountain and it end with 50hz bass roll off, not as deep as IEM's, but impressive for an earbud.

below is the FR of emx, after modding it, the sound more open, staging more clear, not big as 19-20k's staging. But, because emx has dry sounding, 50hz bass boost is still sounds fun.
fengruemx.jpg

Welcome! I hope to see your creative work here soon :wink: :beerchug:
Thank you, my earbuds journey still on the run after a years, so it look messy.
Still trying to find a perfect driver before adding any cosmetics on to it.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,577 of 4,705
@captione Awesome projects, you inspire me to get up and make something. :) Your perseverance with big dots is remarkable :D

@Themilkman46290 Really nice build with the tuning tubes and N52 drivers! I have 3 pairs of N50 drivers (which are at least 90% identical in sound to N52) with mx500 shells for building, you made me think.. I should try something adventurous :D

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #3,578 of 4,705
Hi guys! Long time no see. I'm glad I checked this thread out, looks like the conversations are still healthy and insightful! Especially what @Themilkman46290 said that got me back into my spirits after a burnout.

It's over a year now since I started making earbuds, tweaking them and learning with the thread, and I can never be more grateful to you all, not just in modding knowledge, but also in audiophile philosophies. Thank you guys for being part of my journey into this never ending rabbit hole and I'm gonna continue this I get bored till I can't do it no more 😁

With that aside, I'm gonna report some builds I did in the past months:

So I finally bought a Pink dot with the proper faceplates, although at an expense of 3 other pairs, from a very suspicious shop. I actually planned to sell these as an earbud but these things are DIY-unfriendly, low yield and quality inconsistent drivers (they DISTORT! And its most likely because it's an old driver design) so I just scraped the whole pairs and use some of em for future builds, and I can't really buy this driver properly anymore due to those seller I bought from cranking the price and potentially scamming people with their inconsistencies 😟. I have like 5 pairs in total now (including the metal faceplate ones), I'm reaching masochistic levels for these drivers but it's worth it once you get a perfect pair like I did. 😊
IMG_20210603_212442.jpg
I used a red marker than the usual for these engraved markings. Looks dope!
If I can describe the pink dots more detailed (compared to my info dump section for these drivers), I'd say these defy the usual tropes of an earbud. Bass is massive but tight, sunken lower midrange but prominent upper vocal presence, sparkly highs, claustrophobic soundstage yet super accurate positional ques and imaging. It's a breath of fresh air for people whose tired of the same safe tuning, and I dare say this is my bass endgame. It's that crazy and that's the reason why I kept coming back, and I did not tune it further (just sticked the drivers on the shell with horseshoe foam!)
16231580233551382305077905028474.jpg
Yes, I am using a cable from FAAEAL lol
So for the green dots, I finally found a way to shift the 5khz bump and warmen up the signature some more on MX500 shells, just by putting a full horseshoe foam (the ones pre installed on the 64ohm N52 drivers) and I had great results! The bass got more presence, mids got more warm, and the 5khz bump (which is present at this model and the red dots) shifted into 7khz-8khz and turned it into a capable v-shaped pair! Can't wait to play around with the red dots next!

I did this build along with my pink dot projects. These drivers started as a prebuilt Ty Hi-Z, into a wooden shell and with center vents drilled, and now back to its former glory, on an MX500 shell!
IMG_20210508_140033.jpg
Since I already did an irreversible mod on its former self, what I did to the centre vent is I dabbed a small dot of hot glue on it and voila! Center vent sealed! Put the usual horseshoe foam in the shell and it sounds the same like I remembered the first time I got addicted into this hobby. Brings me to tears a bit 😔
IMG_20210508_144812.jpg
Looks cool, although I'm a bit worried about the choice of cable I used as these are known to oxidise and stiffen badly, but oh well. I heard there is a mainland special version of the Hi-Z 32ohms in this same shell, I guess I copied that 😂

The drivers came from a freebie prebuilt that came with the pink dots I bought at the sus shop, thin tpe cable and an interesting standard shell with no markings! Aside from the looks, these are pretty dang capable! The vocal performance stands out although it sounds the usual earbuds on the other parts, so I dismantled all of it and I thought that an open back mod might do this justice!
IMG_20210513_214031.jpg
IMG_20210513_213515.jpg
The diaphragm looks and feels stiffer than let's say, like a Vido diaphragm would be. No wonder the vocals were pleasant.
I used my spare black shells, drilled a huge hole to the lip side of the shell to fit in a 5mm IEM nozzle that I scrapped from a broken IEM, put the usual horseshoe foam on shell, and voila, here's the result!
IMG_20210520_174208.jpg
I know it kinda looks janky and looks like it won't fit well but it actually fits fine for my big ears.

The warm, vocal centric signature got more enhanced, and surprisingly the open back gave subtle but effective results in the overturning, the soundstage just got even bigger! Definitely a keeper now.

IMG_20210520_011922.jpg
Here's a photo of the earbuds with an eartip attached to the nozzle (note: they sound horrible if you're curious 😂)

I was bored one day, found some spare vido shells and I tried to carve a custom shape with it. I was mainly inspired by Thailand modders with their beautiful moulded MX500 shells. I picked the white one because it was easy to carve a shape off, and also my imperfections would be less noticeable, and also added a bass port in the side for tuning. Here's the result! I'm pretty satisfied, aaaaand I'm still thinking of a proper driver to mount this on, probably a Vido? Let's see in the future 🤓
IMG_20210408_034626.jpg
Mock-up build.

The pandemic boredom struck once again and I made a scrap cable build using parts of broken earbuds and cables in my drawer. It went pretty well! I learned how to seal those scrap jack and splitter well with some hot glue and cleaning and I'd say, it's effective! I put on my retuned "DIY Sharp MD which I put full horseshoe foams in the drivers themselves + center foam on the lips covering the coil vents. Pretty good build but I'm worried about the build quality of these cables cause its literally held together by glue! 😅
IMG_20210606_020302.jpg
I think I made the splitter length too long, but oh well, it's more manageable than the Vido stock cable.

One day, I was a bit bored (you'd be guessing that I have too much free time at this point 😂) and opened up the drivers of my KAPH SHE800 prebuilts. Unfortunately I broke one of the drivers, leaving me an option to put another driver, take faceplate and put it in the SHE3800 shell.
IMG_20210410_151439.jpg
Here's how the KAPH SHE3800 drivers looked like.
So I picked my previous Awei ES-10 build earlier and transplanted the drivers there then added a full horseshoe foam. The old EMX500 like signature of the old ES-10 mod became bassier and warmer, with little expense to the good treble extention. The bass more boomy and less tight, just like I wanted it to sound for the past year, and yes I've been tuning this driver for a year now. Tuning it because my target sound for this project was basshead, and I'm so happy I nailed it!
IMG_20210608_205415.jpg
Funnily enough, the cable I used for this also came in that sus shop.
IMG_20210220_022846.jpg
Awei ES-10 drivers. Fairly magnetic Vido-type drivers, has been really good in every shell I have put it over the past year. (I might make a separate post regarding this lol)

I found my old bro's beat up and broken earpods and I had this spontaneous idea of enhancing it and putting my scrapped MEMT R7 shell (since it uses the same size of drivers).
The shell interior of the Apple Earpods shell looks like there's minimal venting and all out closed back so I tuned the metal shell's vent by putting a double sided foam tape from 3M called VHB, and I stuck with it. Mimicked the same earpod signature with tremendous boomy bass, these are definitely earbuds that you don't wanna wear with foamies on 😂
20210607_150328.jpg
Despite the lips of the shell not flushing in seamlessly with the faceplate, it actually is comfortable to wear naked.

As for some future builds, I'm finally making the dual diaphragm MMCX build that I've been waiting for next month, and possibly the big solder biocellulose drivers that @robar mentioned because I'm such a big solder nerd 😂 so stay tuned if you guys are interested!
You are not kidding at all. It all seems to me that you founded some DIY business and embarked on mass modification. :wink:
Joke aside, good job man, you inspired all of us :beerchug:

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #3,579 of 4,705
Only one apartment, but it was a bit of an old s*it hole, soviet wallpaper, everything was failing, and since I don't have the money to pay someone, I do it all myself, no help, and mainly using hand tools, so far, tor out the kitchen and bathroom, removed the old pipes, and flooring, teardown the walls and rebuild walss and plumbing took me a few months last year, earlier this year I built the main furniture and installed the kitchen, then I took a break for working, now I get back to framing doors, installing sliding doors, next is the floors

Wish I could afford the help, but I have trust issues (I worked construction in my mid 20's learned that a lot of people cut corners) but I like working with my hands so it's actually kind of fun
I know how is it. Same situation here. I rented an apartment in an older building and the apartment was nicely renovated at first glance, but when I finally moved I couldn't believe how many omissions there are. Literally, this is the restoration without any supervision. And you know what it looks like, "make-up chaos"

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #3,580 of 4,705
Thank you, my earbuds journey still on the run after a years, so it look messy.
Still trying to find a perfect driver before adding any cosmetics on to it.
Something like that don't exist. Perfect diver is like a unicorn :unicorn:, a pure fantasy.
Don't waste time because there aren't that many DIY drivers. There are a lot of good recommendations on this thread,
but you are free to ask what specifically interests you.
Here you have a list of DIY stores from Ali from where we procure parts

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #3,581 of 4,705
@captione Awesome projects, you inspire me to get up and make something. :) Your perseverance with big dots is remarkable :D

@Themilkman46290 Really nice build with the tuning tubes and N52 drivers! I have 3 pairs of N50 drivers (which are at least 90% identical in sound to N52) with mx500 shells for building, you made me think.. I should try something adventurous :D
You already did with headphones :beerchug:

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,582 of 4,705
Does anyone know what these earbuds are
_DSC5669.jpg

Mr. @GREQ posted these on Earbud roundup.
@robar check his gallery, he has a ton of headphone drivers photos

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #3,583 of 4,705
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #3,585 of 4,705
I know how is it. Same situation here. I rented an apartment in an older building and the apartment was nicely renovated at first glance, but when I finally moved I couldn't believe how many omissions there are. Literally, this is the restoration without any supervision. And you know what it looks like, "make-up chaos"
Exactly, as soon as you start to fix one thing, something else crumbles, but I like a challenge so I can't complain.
Specially because it's our house, I have never owned a place in my life, makes me happy to have this security, 20 years in the U.s.a and I only dreamt of the opportunity, now we own our place......
Feels like a dream

Users who are viewing this thread

Back