DIY Earbuds
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,311 of 4,705
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #2,312 of 4,705
Many thanks, i was looking on it, now will order.

M/t can you please point out where to read how to solder balance cable instead of usual one ? Is there special unit must be or any are possible to convert to 4,4 pentakom cable ?
You need a multimeter to check the pinouts on both sides. I didn't build any 4.4mm balanced cable maybe someone can post the schematic for the cable. I updated my previous post with some useful info

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #2,314 of 4,705
I have tried the 130ohm they are on the brighter side compared top the 600ohms but the bass and soundstage is lacking for me. The 400ohm that you are talking about is it the blue rim graphite driver? will also give the 64-ti driver wa try .Thankyou so much!

will do, infact if I get a chance to demo/audition the em5 I will give you an update.
Try this mod, I did something similar with my metal shells and the 130ohm drivers, best sound I found with this combo
Love the type of shell of your B&W edition earbuds. I bought a silver red and blue variant a while back. For now, only silver variant is combined with
a handmade wooden piece.
tape.jpg

And this is a complete version
wood.jpg
Nope. By enlarging inner space you will reduce mid-high because the reflection of the sound wave is not the same, it's slower. Also, you will get a more spacious sound.
Resonance in the wood chamber is also present which gives a little flavor to the sound signature. In short original shell simulate "closed-back" sound and modded
(with large cavity) "open-back" sound
immg.jpg

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #2,316 of 4,705
I've been considering trying to make a rose masya/mojito clone type dual dynamic driver earbud, how did you get this wooden shell part?
did you make it yourself, or can I find it somewhere?
Handmade.
Great idea. I planed to do something similar but with smaller drivers. Do u have an idea how Mojito, Masya, or Maria looks inside?
I saw somewhere section of Masya but I can't remember where? For Mojito, they change the angle of the front driver to get better sound.
Maria, who knows? It's too expensive to play with it
For shell prototype, you can try with polymer clay

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #2,317 of 4,705
Ok, here we go. Lately, the question has often been asked is where to find earphone or headphone parts for DIY?
Of course, you are welcome to suggest more links and I will update the list. But for now, let's sum up

***For DIY Earphones parts there are several stores on Aliexpress. with a very diverse offer.
Most of the stores have the same parts, so it's a good idea to check where the parts are cheaper.
- NSC Audio Store
- JieTu Audio Store
- DIY Earphone Tribe Store
- Chitty's Store
- CKLewis Audio Store
-
RY Earphone Store

***For Plug and Connectors related to DIY cables (or audio equipment)
- QYFANG Official Store
- Zeatop Hendar Official Store
- R Connector Buy Official Store

***For pre-made "fancy" cables (NiceHCK, Yin.Yoo ,KBear)
- KBEAR Official Store
- NiceHCK Audio Store

- Wooeasy_Earphones_Store (all in one place)

This can be an interesting and useful info
Making Balanced Headphone Cables By Rob Robinette
DIY and Mods
Balanced vs Unbalanced Audio Connections
Headphone Jack and Plugs: Everything You Need to Know
Pinouts for DIY
A guide to sexy DIY headphone cables

Soldering TIPS
Nice! 🙏

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #2,318 of 4,705
I've been considering trying to make a rose masya/mojito clone type dual dynamic driver earbud, how did you get this wooden shell part?
did you make it yourself, or can I find it somewhere?
I have seen some different ideas on some of the Asian earbud groups, I remember seeing what seemed like acrylic tubing, I maybe wrong, but acrylic is fairly easy to manipulate, bends with heat and you can use wood worker tools on it..
Cool idea
The 130ohm "abs" are for low freq and high freq adjustment (using a capacitor and resistor) so it maybe a good place to start, but I don't know where you would get the second driver to match it....

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #2,320 of 4,705
I made the old variant docomo shell compatible with mmcx and replaced the driver with the well-established new variant docomo's, which is told to be the same as Shozy Cygnus/BK.
The bass was much amplified more than in the original new variant of docomo shell, probably because of the thick stem of the shell.
old docomo mmcx.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #2,322 of 4,705
@jogawag
Where did you get the Docomo with Shozy Cygnus/BK drivers?

I got the docomo earbuds (drivers) at my country's flea market on the Internet for about $8. I'm always looking for them, but they are not listed these days because they're accessories for old 2006 cell phone...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #2,323 of 4,705
So I've soldered together my 120ohm berylium 14.8mm pk shell earbud, should I just burn it in or should I find some foam to cover the vent with to tune it a bit too?
Both.

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #2,324 of 4,705
This driver is not perfect but there is something about it that often brings me back to using it. Pure silver cable and the hard metallic shell will increase the clarity
Thanks @furyossa For now I let it burn in some more, and it is improving. I'll keep your advise in case I got the itch to mod it in the future.
Could it be the correct "timbre" and the natural mids that make it easy to listen? As I said, in the MX500 housing it reminds me of a single driver, full-range speaker. :ksc75smile:
Tag: 300 Ohm N52
Love the type of shell of your B&W edition earbuds. I bought a silver red and blue variant a while back. For now, only silver variant is combined with
a handmade wooden piece.
Nope. By enlarging inner space you will reduce mid-high because the reflection of the sound wave is not the same, it's slower. Also, you will get a more spacious sound.
Resonance in the wood chamber is also present which gives a little flavor to the sound signature. In short original shell simulate "closed-back" sound and modded
(with large cavity) "open-back" sound
immg.jpg
Did you ever post how you bore out the wooden piece? Was it by lathe? Sorry if you've posted here, I've searched but couldn't find a specific mention.
What will be the effect if the chamber is not conical shape, say, a straight cylinder? By saying "enlarging the inner space reduces mid high" does it mean this tuning benefits treble-heavy drivers, and bass-heavy drivers will have even less treble? I'm thinking of another project in the future, not using 130 Ohm Beryllium driver.
Thanks for sharing, my friend.
Tag: wood, wooden

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #2,325 of 4,705
Could someone verify, whether these 15.4mm drivers (1, 2) are any good for a first 150 Ohm build? I have a feeling they might be the same drivers used in FAAEAL Rosemary.
I might be wrong of course, but if they're good anyway I might as well give them a try. Thanks!

driver 1.png
driver 2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back