DIY Earbuds
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,696 of 4,705
That's great, let's hope they all work well! Will you try them in different shells or tunings? I would be pretty interested in what else you can come up with these speakers :) I have one additional pair on its way too. I will try it in the 6-hole wooden shell and the new plastic nsc shell when it arrives.
Yup, checked them with my multimeter as soon as opened :D they are all OK, hopefully the sound will remains the same :) I stay you tuned
I'm so happy with my current mod that not sure I will trysomething new for them, but if the sound change a bit between the oens we currently have, then I will try to adapt my mod for the new ones

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,697 of 4,705
Yup, checked them with my multimeter as soon as opened :D they are all OK, hopefully the sound will remains the same :) I stay you tuned
I'm so happy with my current mod that not sure I will trysomething new for them, but if the sound change a bit between the oens we currently have, then I will try to adapt my mod for the new ones
I see :) So your current favorite tuning is with your MMCX modded shell, right? Have you tried to tune the speaker with regularly soldered setup? I guess it requires different tuning then, maybe the extra vent is not necessary in traditional setup. I'm just asking because I only do regular cable builds, so I can't really compare my tuning with yours for this reason. I'll experiment on my own, just interested in your opinion. I will play more with the mx500 shell as well after I received my backup pair :)

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,698 of 4,705
I see :) So your current favorite tuning is with your MMCX modded shell, right? Have you tried to tune the speaker with regularly soldered setup? I guess it requires different tuning then, maybe the extra vent is not necessary in traditional setup. I'm just asking because I only do regular cable builds, so I can't really compare my tuning with yours for this reason. I'll experiment on my own, just interested in your opinion. I will play more with the mx500 shell as well after I received my backup pair :)
Yup, I'm more a fan of MMCX builds since some time as there is no vents within the wires main hole, so the sound is definitely more clean and consistent (but also generally much more bright as default compared to direct wired), meaning it's also easier to fine tune, as every builds should sound the exact same :)
Also, I have bunch of high quality MMCX cables so I prefer to use my favorite with most of my builds, it's easier to swap and also helps a lot to fine tune easily. I would say that the cable always have to be the last choice after our drivers and shells tune.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,699 of 4,705
This is the PART 2 for 130ohm Beryllium driver but this time I will explain my mod for "medium" cavity size shell.
Previous posts INTRO, PART 1
PART2.jpg

Before I start, I would like to dedicate this post to Thomas Wilson aka. @HungryPanda, one of the most significant members of this community and a man who loved the good earbud "mods". RIP Thomas.
What is special about this mod? This mod had two revisions (the first one is MMCX) and this is the first time that
I prefer the "no-mmcx" version with a simple rubber "neck". Also, this shape and cavity size make this earbud one of my favorites in terms of comfort and sound reproduction.
For this mod, I choose this shell. I bought silver and black shells without the driver from DIY Earphone Tribe Store, but I think they're sold out. When I use this original model, similar to the YMHFPJ Store model but with 130ohm beryllium driver,
the sound was quite congested, with no spaciousness, so I decided to drill the back hole and install the rivets
but I needed also to remove MMCX socket. The following picture shows all the parts intended for this mod.
PART2a.jpg

To better explain what are the pros and cons of this type of shell with mmcx socket and without, I'll use this illustration.
130ohm-medium.jpg

Blue text represents PROS, red CONS, and BLACK shared opinion or comments.
1. "Concave arc" shape allows a very comfortable fit, personally, this is my favorite
2. The angle between the shell and the neck axis is not 90 degrees with mmcx socket
which is also a major problem when it comes to the "rigid connection" between shell and "neck".

By using a rubber "neck" ("elastic connection") this problem can be avoided even if the angle is not
90 degrees as the cable is easily adjustable even when worn str8-up or over-ear.

3. The existing vent is not sufficient to provide adequate airflow for a large driver.
4. Foam width is optimal.
5. "A-detail" shows no space between the shell and cover, and the connection between shell and driver cover is "light",
means that you can remove the driver very easy which is god for "modding"
and you can always use glue for permanent connection.
6. "B-detail": MMCX the connector that comes bundled with the shell makes a "rigid connection" but after a while,
this connection becomes loose as the screw rests on the curved surface of the shell.
7. I mentioned earlier the problem with a "rigid connection" when not at a 90-degree angle.
This is not a natural position of the hanging cable, and as you can see there is a rotation of the shell
and perfect sealing is lost.
8. Closed back of the shell, small vent, mmcx and screw cause chaotic reflection of the sound waves
and almost non-existing airflow.

9. The point of rotation is pushed by the width of male mmcx shell.
10. Now we have improved airflow which can be controlled by changing the diameter of the rivet hole.
11. The weight distribution, in this case, is better and we have no problem with the drag due to the weight of the cable
and male mmcx shell. Therefore, better sealing is achieved because the highest weight is at the speaker position
I wear them often over-ear but str8-up is also comfortable.

12. In this case point of rotation is closer to the small vent but this not have any effect on airflow.
"C-detail" shows all mod elements. Instead of using knot on cable, I added green and red shrinking tubes
to block
the cable pull and mark the left and right sides at the same time.
With this mod, you can easily tune the sound by changing the diameter or partially block rivet hole.

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #1,700 of 4,705
I'm struggling with the wooden shell. Close 1 vent did tighten up the bass but the trebe became piercing (when the singer raised voice it sound grainy at the top) I tried to lower mid bass (around 100hz) using pEQ to make vocal more clear but it didn't respond very well :frowning2:. With the mx500 shell raise the trebe at 2khz and reduce the bass at around 100hz make vocal more clear and airy.

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #1,701 of 4,705
I'm struggling with the wooden shell. Close 1 vent did tighten up the bass but the trebe became piercing (when the singer raised voice it sound grainy at the top) I tried to lower mid bass (around 100hz) using pEQ to make vocal more clear but it didn't respond very well :frowning2:. With the mx500 shell raise the trebe at 2khz and reduce the bass at around 100hz make vocal more clear and airy.
Well it all depends on the driver, I didn't like the wood shells with titanium 64ohm or the 32 ohm drivers I have, the 500ohm and 600ohm also didn't do so well, but 400ohm are perfect in them, either way, try using different foam, cloth, mesh to cover the holes from the inside, you can also use cotton.
But I guess no one ever uses the search bar on this thread, so if you can't figure out the search bar, you might have troubles with diy anything..... Maybe easier to just buy some allready made stuff, some stores will even put your order together for you :wink:

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #1,702 of 4,705
Well it all depends on the driver, I didn't like the wood shells with titanium 64ohm or the 32 ohm drivers I have, the 500ohm and 600ohm also didn't do so well, but 400ohm are perfect in them, either way, try using different foam, cloth, mesh to cover the holes from the inside, you can also use cotton.
But I guess no one ever uses the search bar on this thread, so if you can't figure out the search bar, you might have troubles with diy anything..... Maybe easier to just buy some allready made stuff, some stores will even put your order together for you :wink:
Thank for your suggestions. BTW putting things together is the easy part trying to tune it into something that I like is much harder even with expensive earbud I have to EQ :).
The search bar is not very helpful (or I didn't use the correct keyword) so I guest I have to search manually from first post :).

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #1,703 of 4,705
Before I start, I would like to dedicate this post to Thomas Wilson aka. @HungryPanda, one of the most significant members of this community and a man who loved the good earbud "mods". RIP Thomas.
Are you serious ?? do I missed something?

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #1,704 of 4,705
Apr 18, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #1,705 of 4,705
Seems we all missed something, did this actually happen? Are we sure?
Unfortunately yes. It's been posted by Otto on the Audioreviews FB page. Terrible news.

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #1,707 of 4,705
Yeah, looked it up, man that sucks, ****ing Wuhan virus got him, I think I might quit ordering for a year, maybe 2, I know you guys won't, but I boycotting Chinese products as much as I can (difficult when everything is made there, but it's possible) I am not mad at the regular Chinese person, but all of there upper class is responsible for what is going on, you would think after the sars virus that started with bat's back in the early 2000's they would stop it, but no, they need to show how cool they are and how much status they have by eating exotic game, they get no punishment, they treat everyone like slaves, and when they take college courses they don't even study because there teachers are scared to fail them or they go abroad and pay there teachers a bribe instead of taking exams (I have watched this when I was taking exams, our Chinese student walked in 30 minutes late, splashed black ink on a paper and walked out, we had to draw a human form and couldn't walk out until it was finished, he literally splashed a drop of black ink and walked out with honours) it's messed up, they have a bunch of under educated gangster like thugs as there ruling class.
Now we are all trapped inside of our houses, waiting to die, from a virus that there ignorance and selfishness has forced on us, and they have the balls to charge 50 dollars for a box of mask, greedy evil yellow schmucks.

So yeah, boycott, I have enough drivers, screw it, done sending them my money, from now on, I will only buy used burner phones, and fix all my electronics myself, thank Goodness I am mechanically inclined

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #1,708 of 4,705
I've seen the bad news as well yesterday :frowning2: RIP Panda, reading his posts were the main reason I got into this hobby :/

Which wood shell do you have? The 3-vent one? Try drilling more vents! Drill one hole first next to the others (max 1-1.5mm diameter) and see if it improves. Your symptoms seem very typical of shells which doesn't have enough airflow. Closing vents would only make this worse. This is the reason why I ordered the 6-vent variant, to avoid drilling, but its simple to do if you have the tools.

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #1,709 of 4,705
I've seen the bad news as well yesterday :frowning2: RIP Panda, reading his posts were the main reason I got into this hobby :/

Which wood shell do you have? The 3-vent one? Try drilling more vents! Drill one hole first next to the others (max 1-1.5mm diameter) and see if it improves. Your symptoms seem very typical of shells which doesn't have enough airflow. Closing vents would only make this worse. This is the reason why I ordered the 6-vent variant, to avoid drilling, but its simple to do if you have the tools.
Thank I have a small drill. I'll order some drill bit 1mm and try it :).

Apr 18, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #1,710 of 4,705
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back