DIY Dedicated SPDIF PCI Card Request
Feb 19, 2010 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Denim

500+ Head-Fier
What does it take to design a dedicated bit perfect SPDIF PCI card? Seems like this should have been done by now. Would it cost more that a good sound card without any improvement?

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 10
google(zefiro acoustics). might have to use wayback machine.

been there, done that (greg, from zefiro, that is). he did his own isa card and then I think a pci one, as well.

this was back when win95 was still new, though
wink.gif

these days, spdif is easily done via usb. no need for card-space anymore. spdif is 'easy' and not worth a pci card (imho).

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the tip, linuxworks. Wayback machine was right! I found references to a soundcard, looked like ISA.

I see people looking for sound cards quite often only to use the SPDIF output to send the signal to a DAC. I'm somewhat surprised that a dedicated card is not available, or a homebuilt version hasn't surfaced.

I think the lack of responses to this topic should be telling me that I'm focusing on the wrong area of my setup.

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 10
the world has changed, what can I say?
wink.gif

back in windows 3.1 days, it was 'hard' to do midi. then in windows 95 days it was 'hard' to do audio. that was still isa-bus days.

win98 started to clean things up and xp sp2 finally got audio really working.

and now, usb-audio does the trick instead of needing a pci (or, shudder, pci-e) card.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the world has changed, what can I say?
wink.gif

back in windows 3.1 days, it was 'hard' to do midi. then in windows 95 days it was 'hard' to do audio. that was still isa-bus days.

child's play compared to trying to play 8 tracks through my z-80 based kaypro 4!

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does it take to design a dedicated bit perfect SPDIF PCI card?

Card? How about mother board?

Intel DG45FC, DG45ID, DP55WG, DH57JG to name a few.

All recent Apples have a mini-toslink input and output. Mac mini makes a good media server.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see people looking for sound cards quite often only to use the SPDIF output to send the signal to a DAC. I'm somewhat surprised that a dedicated card is not available, or a homebuilt version hasn't surfaced.

homebuilt drivers have: cmediadrivers

bitmatched/bitperfect DS/KS/WASAPI/WaveRT 44.1/48/88.2/96kHz S/PDIF on $10 soundcards.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 10
leeperry, I believe you nailed it! Great timing too. I'm traveling west on Monday. A trip to Fry's with the hardware requirements will be a major priority.

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 10
np
wink_face.gif

anyway, software drivers is the Achilles' heel of all modern soundcards...they pretty much all do it wrong in one way or another(except for the M2Tech Hiface that seems close to perfect, apart for the high price and the random BSOD's reported)...this guy does it all well from A to Z...rocket science huh
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back