DIY DAC for noob?
Jul 1, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 20
What types of inputs and outputs do you need and how many?

Your not going to save much money for the better DIY DACs. Once you figure in all the misc parts, case, and shipping your back up to about $300 or 400 as a starting point. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 20
Jul 1, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:

and thanks for the kit link

no problemo
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 20
anyone have reviews of this compared to the BantamDAC

also. how do i change the RCA into stereo headphone jack. I am thinking about the miniUSB verion of the GrubDAC and making a mint tin sized DAC. with no cables hanging out just cables to plug into it.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:

also. how do i change the RCA into stereo headphone jack. I am thinking about the miniUSB verion of the GrubDAC and making a mint tin sized DAC. with no cables hanging out just cables to plug into it.

The link that was given you was the GrubCableDAC.  The regular grubDAC kit with a mini-USB connector is only $35.  The output connectors are your choice.  You could even wire it directly into the inputs of the CKIII.

The BantamDAC is no longer available from Beezar, but GlassJarAudio still has some, I believe - also the AlienDAC.  So, there's plenty to pick from.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 20

Quote:

instead of soldering the left and right rca connectors to the board just solder the grounds together to the headphone jack and then the left and right to the jack. you can get 1/8'' or 1/4'' at radioshack

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 20
Speaking of a mint tin,
VitQ-Alien1.jpg

VitQ-Alien3.jpg

Those pics are of an AlienDAC with a bunch of VitaminQ's on the output, but the other DACs I mentioned are even smaller.

For instance, the little plastic box that the Grub/SkeletonDAC were designed for makes an ideal fit and is very cheap, too ($2-$3):
SkelDAC-on-sm.jpg

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 20
^gotta love those penguin mint tins
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 20
God where can i buy those tins!?!??!? They stopped selling them where i live and i love their mints!!

I think the grubDAC is my choice because it doesn't run on battery power so one less thing to worry about when i am on the go. I was think my setup would be [ZuneHD>GrubDAC>Cmoy w/ OPA2132PA] all in a nice rubberbanded bundle inside 2 Penguin Mint tins with the Zune on top.

But this got me thinking. If i used the the Zune cable with the ZuneHD to the GrubDAC, would the Zune recognize and play the music through the USB?
Basically i'd like to know if the GrubDAC would work with a ZuneHD. Ive seen the Cypherlabs Agorhythm Solo work directly plugged into a iPod Classic. I'm basically looking for the same thing. Otherwise id just get a desktop DAC for my home use.

Ps. I found them on Amazon. I got all of the tins. woooooooo :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back