DIY CD transport- affordable but easy?
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

curiousmuffin

100+ Head-Fier
are there any diy transport kits they sell? i would like something thats as hassle free as possible cuz im currently staying in china and the shipping here is a pain to say the least. for example. i had some vacuum tubes delivered today where i had to run out and catch the delivery guy from driving away because i couldn't understand what he was saying on the phone. i probably would have had to hire a translator if he didn't redeliver lol. so id like to know if there are any kits that doesn't require me to order several components from all different places. thx for all inputs.

n/m guys i shouldve searched head-fi instead of google. more answers here than i was expecting
biggrin.gif
although the threads are old and pictures gone.

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 7
The Shigaclone

The story of how some blokes found that the cd mechanism in a £30 JVC boombox was VERY similar to the Shigaraki transport from 47 Labs, that costs a few £k's.

Basically, buy a JVC RC-EZ31 or 51 from eBay, (you can pick them up for £25-ish in the UK, b-grade), rip the CD mech out, replace some caps if you want, and bolt the mechanism to the heaviest, densest thing you can find. It sounds stunning, as I sit here listening to mine here at the moment.

All the details are in the thread linked above.

Have Fun!

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 7
Yep. seconded for the shiga. Plus theres lots of help out there on this too. The other thing is that replacement mechs (really the only bit that goes) are only $5 each.

Fran

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 7
JVC RZ JC51

You could buy it, send it to someone in the UK, they could strip out the mechanism, and then mail it on to yourself, to keep postage down. Just a thought ;o)

Not a bad price. I paid £25 for one with a broken aerial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back