DIY Cables- high quality components needed
Jun 15, 2018 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

srREXed

New Head-Fier
Hey there all. I am looking to put a few cables and adapters together. I’d like to know where I could source some good quality components to put some of these together. What I’d like is some great quality occ or upocc wire, balanced 2.5mm and 4.4mm connectors as well as other basic components so I could start doing this. SRH1540 mmcx connectors, 2.5mm Sennheiser twisty balanced connectors, etc. I have been all over Ebay and amazon. I know exactly what to stay away from and chose not to waste my money on all the fake silver cable and horribly manufactured connectors and such from all those little china and Hong Kong vendors. I need some good, professional sources inside the United States so I can get good quality components without waiting for a month to get them. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Does anyone have a source for hardware to use in making cables? I solder with silver.... and I also would like to make my next couple of cables since people charge way too much money for an audio cable and I’m cheap.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 9
So there is no sources out there for up-occ and occ strands so I can buy some parts...?

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 9
I used Canare L-4E6S with Canare nickel plated connectors for a headphone extension cable, parts purchased from markertek. I’ve been been happy with the result.

Another cable that comes up a lot is Mogami W2893, but I have no experience with it and can’t comment. I believe its also available from markertek.

I’ve used Switchcraft gold plated RCA connectors for interconnects and am happy with the result.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 9
If you like soldering and using your hands to make up a cable then great. I'm starting to want to make one up for myself. But I've spent hours looking up cables, briaders, heat shrink covers and plug types, just to get a handle on what I need. It becomes apparent very quickly why some of these cables are the price they are. When you consider how much time you have to invest to teach yourself then source the products. It might be just easier to order one, but hey thats your call. I'm going to try and make some!!

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I can't seem to find it on the website, but Trevor over at Norne Audio has probably the only 4.4mm TRRRS high quality plugs on the market right now. Maybe try shooting him a message and seeing if he has some. That or DHC should have them too, that way you can also get a hold of some of their OCC wire while you're over there.

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 9
For wire: go to take five audio, parts connexion, or VH audio. Same for solder. I prefer mundorf silver or silver/gold solder. Cardas quad eutetic is good stuff as well if you want to save some money.

Canare and Mogami are quality wire used by audio professionals. Good bang for buck.

If you want crazy nice wire, suggest Neotech. You will pay dearly for silver and silver gold hookup wire from them though, but it will be hard to beat. If you are new to diy, maybe buy some starquar mogami 2543 and try your hand at braiding before investing in the very expensive wire.

For connectors: go to take five audio/parts connexion/vh audio. They will carry furutech, neutrik, neotech, vampire, etc.

If you are looking for eidolic connectors, you can order them from Double Helix Cables or Norne Audio. I wouldn't buy their DIY wire though: they only sell their copper or silver plated copper wire instead of the higher end wire, and they are expensive. If you want good silver wire, see above. You will also see some price fluctuations between DHC and Norne regarding eidolic parts. Check both sites before ordering.

You can find most of this information on the DIY cable builder thread. Perhaps ask follow up questions there.
cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back