DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 16, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #10,306 of 10,535
Hi guys. I am new to this thread. A question that has come up trying to repair a balanced IEM cable with 4.4mm termination. When all the cores of the cables are the same, there is no problem, but... What happens when they are mixed cables. 2 copper cores, and two silver cores for example. Are the silver ones going to the positive ones, and the copper ones to the negative ones? The same question arises with shielded 2-core cables. For example, pure silver shielded with copper mesh. Does the main core go to the positives, and the mesh to the negatives? Thank you very much

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #10,307 of 10,535
Hi guys. I am new to this thread. A question that has come up trying to repair a balanced IEM cable with 4.4mm termination. When all the cores of the cables are the same, there is no problem, but... What happens when they are mixed cables. 2 copper cores, and two silver cores for example. Are the silver ones going to the positive ones, and the copper ones to the negative ones? The same question arises with shielded 2-core cables. For example, pure silver shielded with copper mesh. Does the main core go to the positives, and the mesh to the negatives? Thank you very much
You should just use a multimeter

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #10,308 of 10,535
Hey guys, I’m coming up with an issue I’ve always had with Furutech connectors: solder struggles to stick!

I have never had any issue with any connector, solder and soldering iron work perfectly, I have no issues with temperature or oxidation…. But when using Furutech connectors (3.5 or 4.4mm) the solder really struggles to stick to the point that the plastic rings start melting before being able to solder wire.

Do you guys have any advice or suggestion for me?

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #10,309 of 10,535
Hey guys, I’m coming up with an issue I’ve always had with Furutech connectors: solder struggles to stick!

I have never had any issue with any connector, solder and soldering iron work perfectly, I have no issues with temperature or oxidation…. But when using Furutech connectors (3.5 or 4.4mm) the solder really struggles to stick to the point that the plastic rings start melting before being able to solder wire.

Do you guys have any advice or suggestion for me?

Have you tried pre-tinning the connector and cables?

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #10,310 of 10,535
Jun 16, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #10,312 of 10,535
Worst case you could try to rough up the metal a bit with some real fine grit sandpaper. Metal might have some sort of contamination or something that the flux isn't able to chew through effectively.
Inalo tried to spread some extra flux on the contacts with no luck

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #10,314 of 10,535
You should just use a multimeter
Thanks. The cable that I was repairing is an 8 core SPC. But repairing it, that doubt has arisen with other cables that I have, with two cores with a central part of silver and copper mesh. I did not want to open them and remove the thermal cover, to see how they are connected, due to the risk of being damaged, and I simply asked out of curiosity if you knew.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #10,315 of 10,535
Can anyone kindly share wiring diagram or instruction for Ether SN8-4 connector please. Appreciate if you can also share picture of the soldering points for me to have an idea how difficult it potentially is. I have fair experience building LCD cable using mini XLR, so now I'm considering building Ether cable too. Thanks!
Hi, would you be so kind to tell me where did you buy it? I can't find it anywhere, Thanks.

Jun 27, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #10,316 of 10,535
Jun 27, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #10,317 of 10,535
Hey guys, is anyone familiar with the 2 pin connector for Ultrasone headphones. To me it seems just a 2-pin connector like the one used for IEMs... Any idea?

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 3.39.04 am.png

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #10,319 of 10,535
Looking for advice on making some connectors. Moving away from my Hart Audio cables as I have noticed a definite impact on sound quality (specially the the ZMF VC). So the plan is to get some better cable and then make the headphone piece, roughly 16 inches long and then another cable of around 3.5 feet going into the amps. One cable will be ending in 4.4mm and the other in 1/4 jack.

Now here is where I would appreciate some guidance. Should I use mini-xlr to connect the headphone end to the cable end (just like Hart Audio) or go for regular XLR. Bulk is not the main concern, sound quality taker priority.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #10,320 of 10,535
Looking for advice on making some connectors. Moving away from my Hart Audio cables as I have noticed a definite impact on sound quality (specially the the ZMF VC). So the plan is to get some better cable and then make the headphone piece, roughly 16 inches long and then another cable of around 3.5 feet going into the amps. One cable will be ending in 4.4mm and the other in 1/4 jack.

Now here is where I would appreciate some guidance. Should I use mini-xlr to connect the headphone end to the cable end (just like Hart Audio) or go for regular XLR. Bulk is not the main concern, sound quality taker priority.

Thanks
Same mate. Use good quality mini xlr, that’s all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back