DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 26, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #10,141 of 10,535
I don't want to bore you with the math, the ebay wire (single wire) has free shipping and comes for $6.5 per 5 meters for 24AWG, I can get 15m for $19.5 to make balanced headphones cable and balanced interconnects etc. Audiophonics.fr have w2534 (4 wires) in stock comes at €2.75 per meter plus fixed €15 shipping. The Cosmic Cables option is too expensive as I need a big quantity.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #10,143 of 10,535
For international buyers, Redco seems to have the best deal, I just bought 16 feet of W2893 for $28.37 shipped with USPS first class, I couldn't find any better deal.
NB: 16 feet is the most you can get at $15 shipping, 1 foot more and you have to pay $25 shipping, better max that IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #10,144 of 10,535
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #10,145 of 10,535
If you need more than 20 meters for multiple cables, I highly recommend the silver plated copper from QYFANG on Aliexpress:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNyXDgN
It’s only about a dollar per meter and the most flexible wire I’ve used so far.
Here’s the bulk link: https://a.aliexpress.com/_msWVnat
I stumbled upon that, but only ships with EMS for $74, totally unreasonable for the cost of the good itself, I can't understand Aliexpress sellers, some offer free/cheap shipping and some have insane options.
Post-covid, I only buy from sellers who offer Cainiao shipping, it takes less than 3 weeks and you pay like $2.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #10,146 of 10,535
I stumbled upon that, but only ships with EMS for $74, totally unreasonable for the cost of the good itself, I can't understand Aliexpress sellers, some offer free/cheap shipping and some have insane options.
Post-covid, I only buy from sellers who offer Cainiao shipping, it takes less than 3 weeks and you pay like $2.
Wait that doesn’t sound right, I got the very cheap Aliexpress standard shipping from them. Check out the shipping options on the other link for 20 meters. What country are you in?

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #10,147 of 10,535
Wait that doesn’t sound right, I got the very cheap Aliexpress standard shipping from them. Check out the shipping options on the other link for 20 meters. What country are you in?
Yeah, it depends on country, I'm in Morocco, usually the US and Europe have more reasonable rates. QYFANG have a few items with cheap shipping but for most items it's EMS or FedEx, many sellers are doing this since COVID started when shipping got expensive but didn't go back when prices settled, seems greedy to me.

Jun 29, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #10,148 of 10,535
Hello everyone. I'm going to replace an original cable on my old ath-ad700 because of the cat :frowning2:

but i don't know which one to use instead?

Can you please suggest some brands or some points how to choose it?

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #10,149 of 10,535
What are the best places to buy wire from? I'm looking for 20-22 awg OCC copper, but it seems like all I can find are Chinese sources on Aliexpress and ebay. Is there any place to buy this stuff without having to wait a month or more to get it?

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #10,151 of 10,535
What equipment, parts and info do I need to make my own IEM and headphone cables? (UK)

I find virtually all the cables on my headphones too long as I often use portable DACs on my shirt lapels, top pockets and at my desk.

I now have to make cables which whose maximum length is around my sternum, and I need them for MMCX, 0.78mm, 2.5mm, 3.5mm and what nots.

Proprietary cables also need to be shortened and as I am not ready to open the housings, I have to cut them short, and attach 3.5 socket or whatever connector type is appropriate to them.

So, where do I start?

What tools and parts do I need and what stores and suppliers in the UK have them?

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #10,152 of 10,535
What equipment, parts and info do I need to make my own IEM and headphone cables? (UK)

I find virtually all the cables on my headphones too long as I often use portable DACs on my shirt lapels, top pockets and at my desk.

I now have to make cables which whose maximum length is around my sternum, and I need them for MMCX, 0.78mm, 2.5mm, 3.5mm and what nots.

Proprietary cables also need to be shortened and as I am not ready to open the housings, I have to cut them short, and attach 3.5 socket or whatever connector type is appropriate to them.

So, where do I start?

What tools and parts do I need and what stores and suppliers in the UK have them?
hm a solder station is a must, a cheap one for around 25€ will do but if you want to do more soldering work i recommend a t12 chinesium one for around 60€
on the solder wire front i think a 60/40 cut with rosin core is beginner friendly, if you cant find that in the uk a sn99/cu1 is also good
otherwise a pair of tweesers and a helping hand is good to have :wink:
for cables i recommend some ofc 1mm coppercable (24-26awg)

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #10,153 of 10,535
hm a solder station is a must, a cheap one for around 25€ will do but if you want to do more soldering work i recommend a t12 chinesium one for around 60€
on the solder wire front i think a 60/40 cut with rosin core is beginner friendly, if you cant find that in the uk a sn99/cu1 is also good
otherwise a pair of tweesers and a helping hand is good to have :wink:
for cables i recommend some ofc 1mm coppercable (24-26awg)
for connectors you can get some from ebay or aliexpress
otherwise youll need the pinout diagramm for your cable terminations (3,5mm;2,5mm;XLR)
and as always a bit of time and some praxis :D

Jul 12, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #10,154 of 10,535

So, where do I start?

https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/diy-wire-accessories-and-sleeving
Everything under one virtual roof

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #10,155 of 10,535
Are there any videos showing how connectors are soldered to the cables, and wiring diagrams?

I suspect that soldering cables to MMCX, 0.78mm and all the other connector types is a quite fiddly process, delicate error prone process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back