DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 1, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #9,811 of 10,535
Looked at the MM's manual, says in continuity, when the resistance is <30 the indicator turns green, and <60 it turns red. Don't know what that means for + and -

When the two ends your putting the multimeter on, in continuity mode, are not connected, there is infinite resistance and it won't beep. If they are connected, there is little resistance, and it beeps.

Reading the last few posts got me wondering. I have a set of piston 3's that the cat has chewed the cable on and i'd like to re-terminate the wires onto a new jack. Is there a mode on a multi meter that will help me work out what wire is for what?

There's four wires in the main cable, super thin and some of them look like they have the earth wire wrapped around the outside of them.

As above. Continuity mode. If it beeps they are connected.

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #9,812 of 10,535
When the two ends your putting the multimeter on, in continuity mode, are not connected, there is infinite resistance and it won't beep. If they are connected, there is little resistance, and it beeps.

As above. Continuity mode. If it beeps they are connected.

That would help me find the circuits sure but is there a way to say, make a speaker make noise so i'd know which is which?

I the way to test is to solder them up to a jack and see if that thing works.

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #9,814 of 10,535
So the cable parts have all arrived with my first venture into diy hp cables, decided to try some random cables on this project namely as follows:

parts.jpg

1.) Van Den Hul Flexicon B4 - 1st attempt pretty good sounding lows and mids, but the problem is in the highs it lacks some sparkle and treble extension compared to the stock cable. The lack of extension is clearly noticeable. So got a question, I think I have soldered it decently enough(I think :p), so im asking if the solder(how i soldered it) or perhaps the quality of the solder itself(just used some local brands not some fancy cardas stuff) has something to do on how the sound turned out?
flexicon-1st.jpg

2.) Van Den Hul D502 - 2nd attempt, these cable is one i think a step up from the stock cable and is one I am happy with. Balanced sound and pretty airy stage. I am actually quite surprised as this is the one cable I have least expectations because it has the most capacitance out of the 3(and the cable is to be used for Turn Tables interconnects or wirings according to the manufacturer).
2nd-d502.jpg

3.) Viablue ePC-2 Silver - sounds meh IMO, needs some more listening. For now I am enjoying the 2nd one.
cable-3-viablue.jpg

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #9,817 of 10,535
So the cable parts have all arrived with my first venture into diy hp cables, decided to try some random cables on this project namely as follows:

parts.jpg
1.) Van Den Hul Flexicon B4 - 1st attempt pretty good sounding lows and mids, but the problem is in the highs it lacks some sparkle and treble extension compared to the stock cable. The lack of extension is clearly noticeable. So got a question, I think I have soldered it decently enough(I think :p), so im asking if the solder(how i soldered it) or perhaps the quality of the solder itself(just used some local brands not some fancy cardas stuff) has something to do on how the sound turned out?
flexicon-1st.jpg

2.) Van Den Hul D502 - 2nd attempt, these cable is one i think a step up from the stock cable and is one I am happy with. Balanced sound and pretty airy stage. I am actually quite surprised as this is the one cable I have least expectations because it has the most capacitance out of the 3(and the cable is to be used for Turn Tables interconnects or wirings according to the manufacturer).
2nd-d502.jpg
3.) Viablue ePC-2 Silver - sounds meh IMO, needs some more listening. For now I am enjoying the 2nd one.
cable-3-viablue.jpg
It's probably more to do with the wire quality than the solder/ing, nice work though, please tell me where you got the small gold splitter, thanks in advance

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #9,821 of 10,535
RE: : 4.4mm balanced "Pentaconn" to MMCX wiring

Hi. Searched this thread for information on wiring the above: but no luck. The plug is TRRRS, the MMCX has a middle core, which I assume is (+) and an outer ring (-)? Trying to figure out wire(s) would be positive, what would be negative and what goes to the ground.

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #9,822 of 10,535
Yeah the core is +ve and the outer ring is - ve

Then on the 4.4mm you have R+ / R- / L+ / L- for the TRRR and the sleeve is ground if required

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #9,823 of 10,535
Yeah the core is +ve and the outer ring is - ve

Then on the 4.4mm you have R+ / R- / L+ / L- for the TRRR and the sleeve is ground if required

Thanks. I was able to trace continuity with a multi-meter and got these results:
1602771409537.png

The TRRR on my cable seems to be the same as I've found on several online Pentaconn diagrams. What I'm confused about is why only the R(-) is grounded to Sleeve on the 4.4mm connector.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back