DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 1, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #9,676 of 10,535
How long does it normally take double helix cables to ship? I ordered April 15th, a shipping label was created the next day, but the order still hasnt shipped. They responded to 1 email I sent after a week and said "it will ship soon" but ignored my second email a week later when the items still hadnt shipped.

May 1, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #9,677 of 10,535
How long does it normally take double helix cables to ship? I ordered April 15th, a shipping label was created the next day, but the order still hasnt shipped. They responded to 1 email I sent after a week and said "it will ship soon" but ignored my second email a week later when the items still hadnt shipped.
Go to the contact part of the website and ask where your order is again, he is like that so just keep on at him, I've had good and bad experiences with him.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #9,679 of 10,535
Finally got my parts in. Unfortunately the cable I ordered is WAYYYYY too thick for portable usage (meaning, the insulation makes it way too stiff). I'll have to find some other cable to use for my little 1 footers. The rest of the parts seem good to go, so I'll try to figure out how to get everything properly working.

Anyone have tips on making ear hooks for IEMs? Or is it better to go without and just use something like this silicon ear-hook?

https://smile.amazon.com/Cosmos-Rem...keywords=ear+hook+cable&qid=1588784134&sr=8-1

May 6, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #9,680 of 10,535
Depends on your wire, but generally ear hooks from formed heat shrink work nice. Get a cardboard roll, two toilet rolls, one inside the other work well, put a hole in it to anchor the connector, then heat and form the heat shrink around the roll to the appropriate length and shape for the hook.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #9,681 of 10,535
I have a quick question regarding shielding and power cables.

I am making a power cable out of Sonarquest IEC and 15a outlet connectors, Mil Spec 14AWG wire (x3, 1 for live, 1 for neutral, 1 for ground), Vanguard spades (to easily connect to the IEC and outlet connectors) and Viablue medium sleeving. I was thinking of adding Belden 8663 7/32" Braided Copper Shield over all 3 of the 14AWG wires because I've read that power cables should be shielded. Here's my two questions:

1) l would have to add another Teflon sleeve over the braided shield before placing in the Viablue sleeve (which is mostly just for aesthetics), right?
2) Can I attach the braided shield to the ground wire on the outlet end? I am unsure of how else to drain the sleeve.

Just want confirmation I have to proceed with the above. Thanks!

May 9, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #9,683 of 10,535
is there a particular cable (preferably from amazon) that you guys recommend for IEM/portable application? the cable i got from double helix is WAY thick and i dont want that hanging off my ears. It'll work fine for my non-portable pair but i dont want to use that for my IEM-to-es100 shirt clip thing.

May 10, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #9,684 of 10,535
I have a quick question regarding shielding and power cables.
I am making a power cable out of Sonarquest IEC and 15a outlet connectors, Mil Spec 14AWG wire (x3, 1 for live, 1 for neutral, 1 for ground), Vanguard spades (to easily connect to the IEC and outlet connectors) and Viablue medium sleeving. I was thinking of adding Belden 8663 7/32" Braided Copper Shield over all 3 of the 14AWG wires because I've read that power cables should be shielded. Here's my two questions:
1) l would have to add another Teflon sleeve over the braided shield before placing in the Viablue sleeve (which is mostly just for aesthetics), right?
2) Can I attach the braided shield to the ground wire on the outlet end? I am unsure of how else to drain the sleeve.
Just want confirmation I have to proceed with the above. Thanks!
a] I would twist the Hot & Neutral conductors together. (maybe 3 or 4 twists per foot)
b] I would connect the braided shield at only the IEC end, if space permits.
c] the sleeve is Teflon, there is nothing to drain.

May 10, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #9,685 of 10,535
a] I would twist the Hot & Neutral conductors together. (maybe 3 or 4 twists per foot)
b] I would connect the braided shield at only the IEC end, if space permits.
c] the sleeve is Teflon, there is nothing to drain.

Thanks for the confirmations above, very helpful!

On the last point, I meant shield, not sleeve, my apologies! But point b above in your response clarifies that, as well. Thanks!

May 15, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #9,687 of 10,535
so this is probably a real dumb question. I did look through all the gallery images to see if I could make this out from someone's pic but no luck. The eidolic connectors I have (2.5mm TRRS and 3.5mm TRS) seem to just be hollow barrels on the "wire" side. What do you guys do to plug that hole up? They came with some rubber plug looking things but they dont really fit all that great.

Do you just melt hot glue into there? or some form of epoxy? Or is there some specific way to use heat shrink tubing?

Same question goes for the cable splitter, its a hollow tube with one end wide open and the other end having a 2-hole sort of design, which I assume is for splitting the wire off between left/right sides.

how do you guys provide strain relief? or is the glue/heat shink enough to strain relief?

May 18, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #9,690 of 10,535
Other way around - exactly in reverse to your pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back