DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 26, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #9,661 of 10,535
Friends, can you share wiring diagram if I want to make a male to male, 3.5mm interconnect using 4-conductor cable?
Specifically, I want to use Mogami 2893. Do I simply connect 1 to R, 1 to L, and 2 conductors to ground? Or do I need to 'float' one ground on one end, for example?
Or is it better to use a standard balanced cable, where there are 2 conductors and the sleeve is ground?
Thank you :)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #9,662 of 10,535
Hi Guys, can you please suggest sort of like a generic or semi universal connector(headphone side) w/c could be easily "adapted" using an adapter. In a way creating a single headphone cable that could be used to other headphones using an adapter. E.g I have a susvara(2.5mm), utopia(lemo), hd800(g2). Please advise, I know its impossible to handle all but what would you suggest would provide highest/easiest compatibility? If ever such a thing exist. This is for a balanced cable BTW. TIA

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #9,663 of 10,535
Friends, can you share wiring diagram if I want to make a male to male, 3.5mm interconnect using 4-conductor cable?
Specifically, I want to use Mogami 2893. Do I simply connect 1 to R, 1 to L, and 2 conductors to ground? Or do I need to 'float' one ground on one end, for example?
Or is it better to use a standard balanced cable, where there are 2 conductors and the sleeve is ground?
Thank you :)

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #9,665 of 10,535
Hi Guys, can you please suggest sort of like a generic or semi universal connector(headphone side) w/c could be easily "adapted" using an adapter. In a way creating a single headphone cable that could be used to other headphones using an adapter. E.g I have a susvara(2.5mm), utopia(lemo), hd800(g2). Please advise, I know its impossible to handle all but what would you suggest would provide highest/easiest compatibility? If ever such a thing exist. This is for a balanced cable BTW. TIA
Either way you would still need all three types of connector and the female versions

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #9,666 of 10,535
Not sure how much it is over there but the Hakko FX-888D is very good, as are their tips. But Weller is good. Are you keeping your tip cleaned all the time and “wet” (ie when you aren’t using it are you making sure it has some solder in the end to stop it drying out and becoming brittle?)
Definite the best for the money and the job done, please buy authentic, station and tips !

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #9,668 of 10,535
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has used the hd800 'dream connector' that you can get on ebay before. They seem like fairly decent cheap connectors, but the issue that i'm having is that I'm not sure which solder point is positive and which is negative. I can't see any marking on the connector (and they're quite small) and both connectors seem to be of equal length. The little beige piece below is inside the piece, so its not easily visible. I've reached out to the vendor twice and received no response, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any insight before I return them...

s-l1600.jpg

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #9,669 of 10,535
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has used the hd800 'dream connector' that you can get on ebay before. They seem like fairly decent cheap connectors, but the issue that i'm having is that I'm not sure which solder point is positive and which is negative. I can't see any marking on the connector (and they're quite small) and both connectors seem to be of equal length. The little beige piece below is inside the piece, so its not easily visible. I've reached out to the vendor twice and received no response, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any insight before I return them...

s-l1600.jpg
There should be a small notch on the housing and the pin below it is +

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #9,671 of 10,535
Thanks for responding! I pulled the pic from the website. What I actually have is this picture. There seems to be no easy way to get inside the piece on the left, hence I am stumped :).

s-l1600.jpg

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #9,673 of 10,535
Where do you guys get your MMCX jackand connectors from?

AliExpress is probably the cheapest I've come across but $6/pair for these tiny things ...seems like I should be able to get a pair for half that. This is the style I want but I'll take anything if it's cheap enough: https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXdCrL3

Would like to order a couple dozen but would like to avoid spending like $40+. There's got to be a site that has em for like $1/pop. Also looking for the MMCX male plugs to use on headphones but will conceed that those are probably pricier for decent ones.

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #9,674 of 10,535
Ok finished! Oh man soldering the HD800 connectors was not easy, they’re sooo small. So, doing checks.

let’s say hypothetically I connected something wrong, is there any danger to my amp or headphones when plugged in? Or will it just not work? It’s a balanced 4 pin xlr.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #9,675 of 10,535

s-l1600.jpg

I don't know but it seems certain the long outside lug is ground and the small center pin is positive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back