DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #9,556 of 10,535
I am interesting to make two balanced custom cables for my Samson QH4 amp which use balanced 1/4” (6.35mm) TRS left and right inputs
The first cable (2.5mm balanced TRRS to dual 6.35mm TRS) would be to connect iBasso DC01 (2.5mm TRRS output) with Samson QH4 (dual 6.35mm TRS inputs)
Second cable (4.4mm pentaconn TRRRS to dual 6.35mm TRS) is for iFi Zen DAC (4.4mm TRRRS output) and Samson QH4 (dual 6.35mm TRS inputs)
I put together this little booklet in attachment with some information for these devices and schemes for these two cables (version #1 not use ground and version #2 with ground included). My question is: if this is the correct way to wire these cables, and if so, which of these cables should use ground and which not?
I would really appreciate any advice

Attachments

• Balanced cables.pdf
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #9,560 of 10,535
I think you should be using 8 strands of wire as per your diagram but with 4 strand going to each 6.35mm from the 2.5mm trrs and the 4.4mm
Yup. For 2.5mm to dual 6.35mm, I need a minimum of 6 strand ie 4 strands for signal (R+, R-, L+, L-) and 2 for: (L- to left ground and R- to right ground.)
Same as for 4.4mm but last 2 strands go: pentaconn ground to left ground of 6.35mm plug and one for right side
Both cables should have R- and L- going to ground at the 6.35mm
So you suggest version #2 from the booklet? Did I choose the correct wire direction?

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #9,561 of 10,535
Hi guys! I'm very new to this forum. In fact, this is my first post!

Have any of you guys worked with this type of cable?
e9vVOGB_d.jpg

I'm just wondering how to properly strip these cables. I've worked with other types of cables before but all you need is a wire stripper for that. This one does not seem to like those though. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #9,565 of 10,535
Hey all. What is different between a SPDIF coax and an RCA cable from a DIY perspective? I have made a few pairs of interconnects, just wondering what is needed/ different.

A different gauge of cable? Different RCA connectors? Any parts/ cable recommendations?

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #9,566 of 10,535
Are you sure it's not litz wire and that you need a solder pot, see if you can get a signal from end to end with a multimeter, if not then you probably need
to remove the enamel
I don't think there's enamel on the conductors. I think each conductor is sealed with some silicone and cotton. Of course I could manually separate the fibers but that's going to take forever. here's a link to the item on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

It's actually silver foil wrapped around something and serves as 1 strand. There are 7 strands per share.I think there's cotton fibers in-between each strand. This seems pretty complicated that's why I need a little help. I'm able to make custom cables for my headphones with this but it takes so much time to get the ends ready to be tinned and soldered on to connectors. There must be an easier way.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #9,568 of 10,535
Mar 6, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #9,570 of 10,535
Recently I've gotten the itch to try different cables, for "science." I want to listen my self. Perusing, my experiment would cost me upwards of 500 USD, that's just nuts. However, I saw that if I buy the cables and connectors my self, everything could go for 150 USD, if I buy all the types of cables I want to try. Much more reasonable.

Maybe this was already answered here, you'll forgive for not being more diligent with the use of the search function. But I would like to know these things:

1. Why do I need a solder pot to solder Litz UP-OCC cables?
2. What sort of solder I need to solder silver plated cables?
3. What sort of solder I need to solder 100% silver cables?
4. Do I need to buy special connectors to use 100% silver cables?

Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back