DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #9,228 of 10,535
Hello, guys. Has anyone compared Mogami 2893 and 2534 by sound? Is there any difference beetwen them?
I buyed a few meters of 2893 for my HE 560 and just ordered a 2.5mm connectors. I did not found of W2534 in my town - out of stock!
Maybe later I will change the cable on OCC copper if the last one would better than Mogami. What do you think?

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #9,229 of 10,535
Hello, guys. Has anyone compared Mogami 2893 and 2534 by sound? Is there any difference beetwen them?
I buyed a few meters of 2893 for my HE 560 and just ordered a 2.5mm connectors. I did not found of W2534 in my town - out of stock!
Maybe later I will change the cable on OCC copper if the last one would better than Mogami. What do you think?

I haven't A/B tested those two. But if you have two cables of the same material, and one of them is 25 AWG and the other is 26, you'll probably be able to tell a difference.

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #9,232 of 10,535
If there is a difference it will be so slight so I would order what I could, even Canare or Van Damme is fine, it's all silver plated ofc

Yeah, don't be hung up on any particular brand or model. Most of the stuff that makes one mic cable better than another really doesn't have any effect on our uses. I'm not sure, but I don't think anybody's making an OCC-wire mic cable. So if you're talking OFC, the biggest driver of sonic improvement is going to be wire gauge.

And if you already HAVE 26 gauge wire, your gains from getting new 25 gauge wire won't be worth the money or the wait.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #9,233 of 10,535
I think headphones more like a copper cable than silver. I also have a custom argentiferous cable (my friend made it for me). But I don't know what kind this cable (noname). Sound is good but a little cold and sharp sometimes. That's why I want to made another cable with Cu conductors.
Which gauge of wire is optimal for headphones?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #9,235 of 10,535
Well I’ve personally never done any cabling in my life, but if it was me I’d wrap a different coloured string or piece of cotton or even colour in some pieces of paper and tape them to each end of each strand. Would that work?

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #9,236 of 10,535
Turn the TV off, put your headphones on and just keep trying and it gets easier every time but your main weapon is concentration, the worst thing is losing
your train of thought, I'm not very good at it because I keep thinking about chocolate

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #9,237 of 10,535
Hi All, i'm putting together a replacement cable for a pair of Beyer DT1770 HPs which have a single cable connecting by 3 pin mini xlr to the left cup. So i'm making a trs 6.35 - Mini 3 pin XLR.

I've made the cable according to this wiring diagram and i am only getting signal out to the left channel. Ive checked the XLR and jack and all corresponding contacts are connecting correctly.

My question, is this correct wiring diagram and or have i missed something really obvious?

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 13.19.24.png

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #9,238 of 10,535
Hi All, i'm putting together a replacement cable for a pair of Beyer DT1770 HPs which have a single cable connecting by 3 pin mini xlr to the left cup. So i'm making a trs 6.35 - Mini 3 pin XLR.

I've made the cable according to this wiring diagram and i am only getting signal out to the left channel. Ive checked the XLR and jack and all corresponding contacts are connecting correctly.

My question, is this correct wiring diagram and or have i missed something really obvious?

Good timing! I just twisted up some UP OCC wire for a cable for my DT1770's, and was wondering about the wiring as well. I think your postive and negative are switched. I believe the positive is pin 2 and negative is pin 3. The ground is pin 1.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #9,240 of 10,535
Have you tested with a multi-meter from the XLR end to the TRS end for continuity? check each pin from one end to the other. Also check that none of the connections are also connected to the other, so right isn't accidentally connecting to ground too.

I can't see anything wrong with your wiring diagram, but if you have the old cable that would be the best reference to check with. There is a guide to swapping out the XLR by Demevalos that seems to confirm the pin layout here : https://imgur.com/a/tMd7Cn7

Double check your using the right pin 1, 2, and 3 in the XLR. I'm not sure if none of this works, beyond cracking open the headphones and checking the continuity from the speak to TRS jack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back