DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 6, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #9,196 of 10,535
thx imas, and this time your in the right place :wink:

lJ3JB9n.jpg

71Acujx

Im confused by the labeling on the Hirose connectors for Mr Speakers. Is this correct? Each number is right between two solder lugs so im not sure!

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #9,199 of 10,535
Hi all!
I'm planning to make a cable for my T1 2nd gen, 4 or 8 wires braid and terminating with a 1/4".
Is "hook up wire" what I should be looking for? Not very certain of the terminology.
Also should I choose stranded or solid wire? I'm thinking 24 awg pure silver from neotech or silver/gold from mundorf.
What's the pin out of the 3.5 mm jack for each side of T1?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #9,200 of 10,535
I would advise against solid core wire for Headphones! Definatly go stranded. If this is your first DIY Cable id strongly suggest going with 4 wires, unless you have done other braiding work.

Pinout for the Beyer 3.5mm:

Tip: Signal
Ring: Ground for Driver
Sleeve: Ground for Shell

Be carefull, not all 3.5mm Jacks fit the Beyers (as you can read above). Mono Plugs work aswell, they dont ahve to be stereo.

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #9,201 of 10,535
I would advise against solid core wire for Headphones! Definatly go stranded. If this is your first DIY Cable id strongly suggest going with 4 wires, unless you have done other braiding work.

Pinout for the Beyer 3.5mm:

Tip: Signal
Ring: Ground for Driver
Sleeve: Ground for Shell

Be carefull, not all 3.5mm Jacks fit the Beyers (as you can read above). Mono Plugs work aswell, they dont ahve to be stereo.

Thank you!
Now when I think about it I want to do sleeving as well so 8 braid could be too difficult for me. Plus 40 feet of pure silver is a bit expensive. lol I guess 4 wires would be a wiser choice.
For the plug, I'm thinking about Eidolic universal as they will certainly fit.
Do I connect both the grounds together? Or just the driver ground?

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #9,202 of 10,535
Thank you!
Now when I think about it I want to do sleeving as well so 8 braid could be too difficult for me. Plus 40 feet of pure silver is a bit expensive. lol I guess 4 wires would be a wiser choice.
For the plug, I'm thinking about Eidolic universal as they will certainly fit.
Do I connect both the grounds together? Or just the driver ground?

Another way to think of it which helped me when I made my first cable:

Amp end;
Tip- left channel (signal)
Ring- right channel (signal)
Sleeve - ground (combine both ground wires from each channel together and solder here)

Headphone end
Use mono plugs if you can but as @-Hodor- says stereo will work too

Tip- signal
Sleeve- ground

Another option is to braid the wires and then sleeve in single sleeve of wide gauge paracord. You want the fit be fairly loose to eliminate microphonics.

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #9,203 of 10,535
I recently made my first pure silver cable for my HD800 and have to say that the detail and clarity is exceptional, it has all Eidolic connectors
and is the Neotech silver stranded from here https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/neotech-pure-silver, was slightly cheaper than
Hificollective and also slightly thicker gauge than they had in stock I think, mine is an 8 braid (which isn't that difficult) and has turned out
to be a cut above any other cable I've tried, I will drop a picture in when I'm back from the dreaded work.

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #9,204 of 10,535
I recently made my first pure silver cable for my HD800 and have to say that the detail and clarity is exceptional, it has all Eidolic connectors
and is the Neotech silver stranded from here https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/neotech-pure-silver, was slightly cheaper than
Hificollective and also slightly thicker gauge than they had in stock I think, mine is an 8 braid (which isn't that difficult) and has turned out
to be a cut above any other cable I've tried, I will drop a picture in when I'm back from the dreaded work.

I can vouch for the quality of this cable both build more importantly sound quality. If you can’t or don’t want to stretch to the silver then neotechs copper upocc is very good value and SQ is fantastic too and 24 or 22awg are less than £5 per metre. I’ll stop there because recomending wire based on subjective claims about sound quality can get you in to terrible trouble on this thread :wink:

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #9,205 of 10,535
Those are 22 awg right? I think I might use those but only in 4 braid.
I'm planning a 1.5 m long cable and 8 braid is a bit costly to me:triportsad:Easily >500 pounds just in wire!
Braiding wouldn't be a problem to me but individual sleeving for all those may make the cable too thick for connectors
I can vouch for the quality of this cable both build more importantly sound quality. If you can’t or don’t want to stretch to the silver then neotechs copper upocc is very good value and SQ is fantastic too and 24 or 22awg are less than £5 per metre. I’ll stop there because recomending wire based on subjective claims about sound quality can get you in to terrible trouble on this thread :wink:
I've done a pure copper cable before and it was awfully bassy I didn't like it at all.
This time I have to try out pure silver:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #9,206 of 10,535
I'm planning a 1.5 m long cable and 8 braid is a bit costly to me:triportsad:Easily >500 pounds just in wire!
Braiding wouldn't be a problem to me but individual sleeving for all those may make the cable too thick for connectors

I've done a pure copper cable before and it was awfully bassy I didn't like it at all.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #9,209 of 10,535

Not all copper is equal the mono crystal is pretty neutral, full sounding but neutral and in no way what could be described as bassy. Neither the copper or silver have what you’d call typical signatures associated with their metal type. My favourite cable with the t1 gen2 was an 8 core (4x copper & 4x silver), which improved the body weight of the presentation, made the mids a little fuller and more natural while maintaining their accuracy and levels of detail.

I’ve also experimented with both the 24awg and 22awg silver. There’s not a huge difference in performance, the 22 has slightly more slam/ attack in the lower frequencies, but otherwise it’s pretty similar and the 24 is about £27 per metre. The next real step up in performance comes with the addition of 4 more cores or going up 20awg which is a lot more expensive.

You could always start with 4 cores and then add another 4 at a later date.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #9,210 of 10,535
Not all copper is equal the mono crystal is pretty neutral, full sounding but neutral and in no way what could be described as bassy. Neither the copper or silver have what you’d call typical signatures associated with their metal type. My favourite cable with the t1 gen2 was an 8 core (4x copper & 4x silver), which improved the body weight of the presentation, made the mids a little fuller and more natural while maintaining their accuracy and levels of detail.

I’ve also experimented with both the 24awg and 22awg silver. There’s not a huge difference in performance, the 22 has slightly more slam/ attack in the lower frequencies, but otherwise it’s pretty similar and the 24 is about £27 per metre. The next real step up in performance comes with the addition of 4 more cores or going up 20awg which is a lot more expensive.

You could always start with 4 cores and then add another 4 at a later date.
You are right. The stock cables are all thin copper but they don't sound particularly bassy. It must be the wire I used, which I forgot what it was lol
I have little to none experience with cables anyway so experimenting with some silver should be fun:beyersmile:
Using 22 awg would cost around $450 total. umm...now 24 awg seems to be the sensible option
I plan to do individually sleeving with paracord too. A 24 awg wire is 1.2 OD. Which type should I use? Is 275 cord with 2mm diameter ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back