DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #8,641 of 10,535
Furutech 3.5 TRS jack.
I heard that rhodium coating is wear off fast then underlying copper layer will appears.
I don't think this jack is counterfeit one. Want to buy this interconnect cable.
But the seller kindly told me that thing.
Any one can help to confirm the coating on Furutech?
unless you are buying from an authorized dealer or someone you know and trust, assume it's a fake

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #8,642 of 10,535
unless you are buying from an authorized dealer or someone you know and trust, assume it's a fake

That is trust audio shop I known by years. About 10k audio stuffs I paid there so I think they are not spoofing me with a small goods like this.
They tell me to prevent me from buying, not try to selling.
Also I have 2 pcs 3.5 to dual RCA from Furutech, and really they wear out faster than jacks from switchcraft, ediolic, fiio...

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #8,643 of 10,535
Here's my first ever attempt at a DIY cable! Made with Canare star-quad and 275 black and midnight blue paracord. It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself!

cable.jpg

One thing I noticed though, it that the microphonics are worse than the stock cable. Anything that touches the cable can be clearly heard.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try next time to eliminate the microphonics? Also, what are the main causes of microphonics? Is it the sleeving? The insulation of the cable? The style of the braiding? For instance, would I get less microphonics if I left the 4 cables inside the canare star-quad twisted, and just put one larger-sized paracord sleeve over all of it? Or maybe don't use sleeving at all?

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #8,645 of 10,535
Here's my first ever attempt at a DIY cable! Made with Canare star-quad and 275 black and midnight blue paracord. It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself!

One thing I noticed though, it that the microphonics are worse than the stock cable. Anything that touches the cable can be clearly heard.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try next time to eliminate the microphonics? Also, what are the main causes of microphonics? Is it the sleeving? The insulation of the cable? The style of the braiding? For instance, would I get less microphonics if I left the 4 cables inside the canare star-quad twisted, and just put one larger-sized paracord sleeve over all of it? Or maybe don't use sleeving at all?
Tight sleeve is usually not good for noise. Next time try looser sleeve

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #8,647 of 10,535
I'll try that! would you recommend going up a paracord size, like 325? Or should I just not stretch the 275 so tight (like, use more paracord than necessary so that scrunches a little so it's looser).
not stretch it so tight.

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #8,649 of 10,535
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #8,651 of 10,535
Will an XLR microphone cable with an adapter on each end work as an unbalanced stereo headphone cable? I ask because most mini XLR connectors seem to be low quality and difficult to assemble.

AKG K702 -> Mini-XLR Female to XLR Adapter Male-> XLR Female to XLR Cable Male Cable -> XLR Female to TRS 1/4" Male cable adapter -> Amp

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #8,652 of 10,535
Will an XLR microphone cable with an adapter on each end work as an unbalanced stereo headphone cable? I ask because most mini XLR connectors seem to be low quality and difficult to assemble.

AKG K702 -> Mini-XLR Female to XLR Adapter Male-> XLR Female to XLR Cable Male Cable -> XLR Female to TRS 1/4" Male cable adapter -> Amp

I believe mic cable is 3 wires and balanced headphone is 4.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #8,653 of 10,535
I just realized that, PET will not work as I want so use it for a headphone cable. I was going to use 1/4 paracord and it is just a hair to small. What else is soft, and will not have too much or any noise can I use for Mogami 2893? this is the main body.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #8,654 of 10,535
I just realized that, PET will not work as I want so use it for a headphone cable. I was going to use 1/4 paracord and it is just a hair to small. What else is soft, and will not have too much or any noise can I use for Mogami 2893? this is the main body.

I'm going to attempt to use a spare shoelace soon, because I feel like it would be very soft and flexible. I'll post results once it's done.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #8,655 of 10,535

I use a combination of cotton and PET, the cotton sticks up more than the pet so it is really not very microphonic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Braided-So...var=441856022940&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

the 4 mm flat stretches to at least 9 mm diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back