DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 22, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #4,276 of 10,535
anyone got any nice recommendations for Right Angle RCA plugs? I keep finding questionable ones or ones that are not gold plated

I would like ones that will be good quality with Gold Plated pin

Switch craft has a fairly good reputation:

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=1005

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #4,277 of 10,535

impressive

well done!

can you zoom on the braid please?

Thanks .I did a 4 wire round braid to the cans and a 4 wire braid with pairs to the connector. I wasn't liking the look of the 8 wire braid so I paired a silver and copper together.

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #4,278 of 10,535
  Thanks .I did a 4 wire round braid to the cans and a 4 wire braid with pairs to the connector. I wasn't liking the look of the 8 wire braid so I paired a silver and copper together.

very good.

weel done

Sep 27, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #4,279 of 10,535
I'm planning to make an adapter to be able to use my Audeze cables for my Alpha Dogs, I was wondering if a Canare L-4E6S (21 AWG) will suffice or a 4-wire or 8 wire braided Mogami 2799 at 26 AWG? Also where can I find information on the pinouts? This is pretty much my first time soldering and I feel pretty nervous about it. I was also thinking of sleeving it with some paracord or something just to make it look low profile. Can anyone tell me what size the paracord should be?

Thank you.

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #4,280 of 10,535
I'm planning to make an adapter to be able to use my Audeze cables for my Alpha Dogs, I was wondering if a Canare L-4E6S (21 AWG) will suffice or a 4-wire or 8 wire braided Mogami 2799 at 26 AWG? Also where can I find information on the pinouts? This is pretty much my first time soldering and I feel pretty nervous about it. I was also thinking of sleeving it with some paracord or something just to make it look low profile. Can anyone tell me what size the paracord should be?

Thank you.

You should just go with 4 wires of W2799 on each side. You could even use 2 if you wanted to. Canare isn't quite as flexible, so I wouldn't use that. That's just my preference.
The sleeve size would be 550 paracord OR 1/8" techflex nylon multifilament for 2 wires and 3/16" techflex nylon multifilament for 4 wires.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #4,281 of 10,535
Hello!

my collection of HeadFi equipment is increasing steadily !
The problem is that i have now 4 different Headphone OUT on my different DAPs, Amps, etc...

1. Regular desktop Amp: Output TRS 6.3mm
2. Regular DAP: Output TRS 3.5
3. Sony ZX2: Output TRRS 3.5
4. Alo Audio CDM: Output TRRS 2.5

I re-cabled all my headphones and earphones, some of them are TRRS, 3.5, 2.5... It is a mess!!!

My plan is the following:

all my headphones cable terminated with REAL tiny XLR Male 4 pins

then i do 4 adapters:

REAL tiny XLR Female 4 pins to TRS 6.3mm
REAL tiny XLR Female 4 pins to TRS 3.5mm
REAL tiny XLR Female 4 pins to TRRS 3.5mm
REAL tiny XLR Female 4 pins to TRRS 2.5mm

It will work for sure.
But i'm wondering if it my weaken the sound quality.

for exemple, on the audeze LCD2, i will have 1 connection in the cup (mini XLR), 1 connection with the adapter (mini XLR), 1 connection with the termination jack.

is it too much?
Will it affect the sound?
durability?

Thanks for your thoughts !

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #4,282 of 10,535

But i'm wondering if it my weaken the sound quality.

for exemple, on the audeze LCD2, i will have 1 connection in the cup (mini XLR), 1 connection with the adapter (mini XLR), 1 connection with the termination jack.

is it too much?
Will it affect the sound?
durability?

Thanks for your thoughts !

Sound quality, if your soldering joints are good, your wiring is well shielded and your connectors well built, if there is a degradation you won't hear it. 

Durability, depends entirely on how rough you are with it I suppose. A small extension cable would probably be the most durable, and put the least strain on any source device you'll plug it into....

Of course building the female connection into the back of a male plug for an adapter is also an option, similar to these: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661897/mini-balanced-to-3-5mm-adapter-in-my-way/30 , however depending on how heavy your plugs are it may or may not put too much strain on the source device's plugs. 

Also in personal opinion, it might be better off terminating with a 4 pin Auto-IRIS plug (over the mini-xlr) and converting from there. You may eventually run into a source device that has it.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,283 of 10,535
  Finally had time to finish my balanced cables for my Alpha Dogs. Will get to hear them on a Prototype Liquid Carbon next weekend as mine will not be done till November .

Did you bring that to Nashville? I would have loved to see that! I'll holler at you next meet.

How did they do on the Ether C? I'm 1/3 of the way towards saving for mine, gosh they were awesome.

Which wires did you use on this? And where did you obtain them?

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #4,284 of 10,535
  Did you bring that to Nashville? I would have loved to see that! I'll holler at you next meet.

How did they do on the Ether C? I'm 1/3 of the way towards saving for mine, gosh they were awesome.

Which wires did you use on this? And where did you obtain them?

I screwed up the left side so I could not use them I was one pin off should have looked at it closer. I don't have a balanced amp (still waiting on the Liquid Carbon) to check them out. Hopefully it will be here about the same time I get my Ether C's. One can hope until then I'll be making an adapter for them as I believe the LC won't be done this year really. The silver plate is from China the supplier on eBay doesn't carry it any more. It was 24 awg silver plated ofc copper and I found some occ silver plated copper from someone else for $1.50 a foot. The copper is Double Helix Nucleotide at $2.25 a foot. Not real cheap stuff but I do think it is better than Mogami or Cardas mic cable YMMV. Norne audio also has 22 awg upocc copper for $1.23 a foot just remembered.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #4,285 of 10,535
Balanced to 1/4 in. adapter.

Ready for the Ether C's.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #4,288 of 10,535
Which paracord would you guys prefer for sleeving Mogami W2893 cables individually? 95 or 275 ?

Type 1 paracord

Type 1 or 95 lb. I think it's the same thing, depending on where you buy it.

Wikipedia says they're the same: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord

Amazon calls theirs "Type 1 95 lb Paracord"

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #4,289 of 10,535
Oct 4, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #4,290 of 10,535
Well, I just pulled the trigger and got some cable and connectors from Redco.  I guess I'm going to attempt to make a new cable for my modified Grado SR60e headphones.  I recently did a detachable cable mod on them and used rca females in the cans themselves.  Most manufactured rca to 3.5mm cables come in standard lengths of 3', 6, 10', 12' etc. and 3' is to short and I didn't like the extremely long cable that came with the Grados so I need something in the middle.  I've got a design in my head and need to get it on paper before I forget.  4' is the magic length for me, so that's the goal of the new cable.  I ordered some Techflex sleeving, but I may go another route...still on the fence with this one.  I'll try to remember to post a pic of my finished product.  Everything should arrive this week, so I'll get started on the project so enough.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back