DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 22, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,951 of 10,535
Well I'm not buying a tool so crimping is out. The glue gun gives me the idea that if you glue inside the hole and around maybe do that and slide the outer barrel over it and maybe the barrel would be glued on then. Just a thought. Now I have to decide what wood I will use on the y split for my Alpha Dog cable and maybe the HE cables. I still have not decided to cover the HE cables as I'm buying clear covered silver coated wire for them it might look nice though. Thanks again for the advice.

May 28, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #3,952 of 10,535
Made this cable today

BTG audio SPC cables and some Eidolic DIY parts from Peter 

May 29, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,956 of 10,535
Nice job. Yes said you used Techflex red and black I assume that is from the split but what is on the main cable? It looks like a different color and size. I'm making a set of cables for my HE-400's and haven't decided on covering yet. I like the look of yours. By the way how do they sound?

May 29, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #3,957 of 10,535
  Nice job. Yes said you used Techflex red and black I assume that is from the split but what is on the main cable? It looks like a different color and size. I'm making a set of cables for my HE-400's and haven't decided on covering yet. I like the look of yours. By the way how do they sound?

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.  Actually, the main cable is the same (1/8") Techflex in black.  It is just stretched out more so the red cable shows through.  The design was inspired by my Zu Mobeus cable for my Senn HD600 I bought quite a few years ago.  I didn't feel like spending that much again on a cable so I took the diy route this time.  Unfortunately I have been out of town all week (finished the cable last Sunday) so I haven't had much time to listen.  I'm pretty sure I won't be able to tell the difference. I just didn't like handling the original cable.  The new cable is a bit microphonic (from the Techflex) but I usually listen in a comfortable chair without moving too much so it doesn't really bother me.  One tip on soldering the SMC connectors: After I soldered the ground wire to the outside of the connector, the brass (?) collar would not slip over the base of the connector because the wire was in the way.  I just slipped it up as far as it would go and it just got covered in heat shrink.  Maybe you could solder it to the bottom rim of the connector instead of the side?  Hope that made sense.

May 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3,958 of 10,535
Yes the connectors look tough to get right. Still looks good.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #3,959 of 10,535
Getting 20 meters of some silver coated copper wire from china and going to make some rca interconnects and balanced HIFIMan cables out of it. It's 24 gauge  just wondering if I just twist a pair for the interconnects or do a 4 wire braid? If I do the twist I will cover it if I do a braid I will do naked . 

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #3,960 of 10,535
Well went with the naked braid. I was surprised how much better they sounded then my Monster interconnects from my Denon pre's to my Adcom GFA-555 to my Polk LSi 15's. I needed to wait till I solder them to put the heat shrink on to get it even. Not too bad for first pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back