DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 22, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #3,001 of 10,535

Going back to my original question, once I got the DMM, I'm still a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to do. According to all the advice, it will have something to do with Ohm's. I understand that the sensible thing to do is to go and Google the answer like everyone else but I'm not even sure what to Google. 

Most DMM's have a continuity mode. If you look on the dial selector there should be a symbol that looks like a little sound wave. Set the meter to that mode, then touch the leads together. The meter should make a noise letting you know that it has detected continuity.

Then, with your cable that has been cut, touch one lead to a spot on one of the connectors that goes into the IEM, and the other lead to one of the 8 cut cables. If it doesn't ring, switch the lead that's on the cut cables until you get a ring. Repeat this step 8 times until you identify each of the 8 cut cables. There should be 3 different "channels", a common ground that goes to both IEM's, a right channel that goes to the right IEM alone, and a left channel that goes to the left IEM alone. Once you identify what signal each wire is supposed to carry, you can terminate it to the 3.5mm jack accordingly. Because you have 8 wires, more than 1 wire will carry the same signal, so you can group them together.

If your DMM doesn't have a continuity mode, you can use the resistance mode (Ohm meter). The Ohm meter will display a small resistance when you find continuity, similar to when the meter would ring on continuity mode. However, this can be semi-unreliable depending on the situation.

Edit: To clarify, continuity in this case means able to complete a circuit - if you touch two conductors with the leads of the meter and the meter doesn't ring, then the two leads are not in contact with eachother, and the circuit is broken. (0 Ohms would show on an ohm meter)

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #3,002 of 10,535

Going back to my original question, once I got the DMM, I'm still a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to do. According to all the advice, it will have something to do with Ohm's. I understand that the sensible thing to do is to go and Google the answer like everyone else but I'm not even sure what to Google. 

A bit hard to explain step by step, so just use this in google: 'how to test continuity with digital multimeter'

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #3,004 of 10,535
It's hurting me to see that helping hand on the connector barrel like that.

like fingernails scraped down a blackboard 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #3,005 of 10,535
Hi guys,

I am trying to recable my DT770 250ohm to one without the curled cord as it is getting really annoying. I was wondering what are some cable options that I can try. 

I really like the look of transparent teflon casing exposing copper cables within. I have seen quite a few pictures of them floating around this forum.

I was wondering if anyone has the model number of good cables with that look I could purchase? Also what gauge would be ideal? I would like the cable to remain flexible. It wouldn't be that long though, maybe 1.2m ? I sit at my desk while listening anyway.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #3,006 of 10,535
It's worth mentioning that AKG usually (always?) reverses the Left and Right channels on their pin-outs (pins 2 & 3).  Before the DIY bug bit me, I had Redco make me a cable without knowing to tell them it was for an AKG (they might not have known), and sure enough, they were reversed.  That cable became a pair of interconnects :wink:   It's that way on the two AKGs I've checked (Q701s and K712s).  For the cables I made, I used the following on the mini XLR, with a TRS plug on the amp end:

Pin 1 : Ground

Pin 2 : Ring/Right

Pin 3 : Tip/Left

Easiest enough to confirm with a DMM on your stock AKG cable.

If you're planning to solder all those wires into a mini XLR, I'd be curious to see some photos before you close it up.

Good luck :)

Hey there!

Apologize! I totally forgot to take a picture before I close it up but I solder all wires into the mini XLR. My cables were too thick to fit into the small hole so I cut it off a bit.

I followed your instruction and I am waiting for my 3.5mm jack to arrive now. How to tell which is left and right channel on this type of jack? http://www.ebay.com/itm/151289094863

Thank

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #3,007 of 10,535
Does anyone know where can I get 2.5 mm 4 pole, which is easy for soldering. Check below 3.5 mm 4 pole backpart is easy for soldering (not sure what to call it)

unlike this one, which is complicated for soldering, 

I can get 3.5 mm 4 pole in below ebay link, but could not find similar 2.5 mm, please suggest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Gold-plate-Stereo-4-Pole-Male-3-5mm-Jack-Plug-Audio-connector-headphone-/161098165421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258232ecad

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #3,008 of 10,535
Does anyone know where can I get 2.5 mm 4 pole, which is easy for soldering. Check below 3.5 mm 4 pole backpart is easy for soldering (not sure what to call it)

unlike this one, which is complicated for soldering, 

I can get 3.5 mm 4 pole in below ebay link, but could not find similar 2.5 mm, please suggest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Gold-plate-Stereo-4-Pole-Male-3-5mm-Jack-Plug-Audio-connector-headphone-/161098165421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258232ecad

lunashops.com

edit»»» just check with them.....some budget ones dont showup the internals in their listing.....

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3,009 of 10,535
Hey there!

Apologize! I totally forgot to take a picture before I close it up but I solder all wires into the mini XLR. My cables were too thick to fit into the small hole so I cut it off a bit.

I followed your instruction and I am waiting for my 3.5mm jack to arrive now. How to tell which is left and right channel on this type of jack? http://www.ebay.com/itm/151289094863

Thank

Billy: take a look on previous page,I had posted a same reply......

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,010 of 10,535

lunashops.com

edit»»» just check with them.....some budget ones dont showup the internals in their listing.....

Thanks a lot, will check with them right away 

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,011 of 10,535
Hey there!

Thank

Still waking up, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I think the way you need to proceed is first, use a DMM to determine how your stock AKG cable is wired.  If it follows the pattern I posted, then it's the typical bassackwards AKG way.  Second, use a DMM to determine which internal soldering posts on your 3.5 mm plug go to which elements of the TRS.  Third, use the DMM to find the wire for each pin of the mini-XLR and mark them (some tape or whatever).  Fourth, solder accordingly (i.e., based on what you discovered in step 1).

FWIW, you'd do all that even if it weren't using the wonky AKG pinouts.  You'd still have to find the wires for each of the pins so you solder them to the correct posts on the other end.  Which pins on the mini-XLR go to which parts of the TRS just depends.  If AKG used the standard pinouts, it'd be slightly less confusing.

Where's that $@!#in' coffee? 

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,012 of 10,535
Hi guys,

I am trying to recable my DT770 250ohm to one without the curled cord as it is getting really annoying. I was wondering what are some cable options that I can try. 

I really like the look of transparent teflon casing exposing copper cables within. I have seen quite a few pictures of them floating around this forum.

I was wondering if anyone has the model number of good cables with that look I could purchase? Also what gauge would be ideal? I would like the cable to remain flexible. It wouldn't be that long though, maybe 1.2m ? I sit at my desk while listening anyway.

The only wire like that that I know of is boutique stuff like DHC offers. Not sure where to get it cheap like you can Canare/Mogami.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,014 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back