DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 15, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #2,838 of 10,535
@creatip

Do you have a link to the wire vendor?

I'd also like to know.

I bought it at a local store in my country, Indonesia, so I don't think it's readily available worldwide, though :frowning2:

I found a seller in ebay with something similar, or even better: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Silver-Copper-Twisted-Solid-Ribbon-Speaker-Cable-Dont-Pay-40-00-m-/261652571279?pt=AU_Television_Accessories&hash=item3cebb5648f

That one got silver plated or something, while mine is only plain copper.

Oh, and it's actually a speaker cable, so it's quite big in diameter.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #2,839 of 10,535

I bought it at a local store in my country, Indonesia, so I don't think it's readily available worldwide, though :frowning2:

I found a seller in ebay with something similar, or even better: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Silver-Copper-Twisted-Solid-Ribbon-Speaker-Cable-Dont-Pay-40-00-m-/261652571279?pt=AU_Television_Accessories&hash=item3cebb5648f

That one got silver plated or something, while mine is only plain copper.

Oh, and it's actually a speaker cable, so it's quite big in diameter.

This seems like an opportunity to open an eBay store 
wink.gif

There's a reference to something similar here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zensati/1.html

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2,840 of 10,535
Hi! I'm new here so this might sound a little stupid so sorry for that. Also sorry for poor english. I'm using Beyerdynamic DT 990 for PC gaming and have modded a mic for them to use as a headset but cables are starting to irritate me a bit so I've decided to build a new cable that carries both mic and the headphones audio. I want the cable to be detachable.

I've been thinking to cut the cable of the headphones couple of inches from the can and shorten the mics cable so they could be soldered on one female connector. This way I could easily recreate that for other headphones as well. The cable itself would have male connector on one end and two 3,5mm stereo plugs on the other. 

I would wan't to use 5-pin mini xlr connector as it is relatively small and can handle a decent amount of pulling since it locks. I just wanted to check if it's ok to use one pin as ground for both the mic and the cans or can it cause some interferences to the signal? If the 5-pin mini xlr is no good, what would you recommend instead?

Also, about the cable itself, what sort of cable would be up to the task? I have a bunch of unused HDMI cables lying around and wondered if i could use them and remove the connectors and wind up 6x 3 strands. Cable wouldn't have to be more than 3m long at max. And if you can also suggest good places in EU-area to purchase cables and connectors online I would be very greatful! 

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #2,842 of 10,535
Hi Guys,
I'm looking at making 2 usb cables. I'm not looking to spend much. I want to make something like this:
http://2channelaudio.blogspot.com.au/2013_01_01_archive.html
Could you make some suggestions on what connectors to use (keeping in mind mainly build quality and aesthetics), I need 2 standard usb connectors, a usb b connector and a Female USB-A connector (for a ifi micro idsd).

Also, if any of you have any insight on this it would be appreciated:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/319231/millett-starving-student-hybrid-amp/6825#post_11046080

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,843 of 10,535
Hey guys, 
i have 3 questions
1) What paracord do i need  to sleeve 1 full cable (example: mogami 
W2534)
2) What paracord do i need to sleeve only one out of 4 cable of the W2534 (stripped) ​
3) Where i can find a pair of HD600 plugs in Europe? Most people suggest the cardas plugs, but i can only found some on e-bay. ​

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #2,844 of 10,535
  Hey guys, 
i have 3 questions
1) What paracord do i need  to sleeve 1 full cable (example: mogami 
W2534)
2) What paracord do i need to sleeve only one out of 4 cable of the W2534 (stripped) ​
3) Where i can find a pair of HD600 plugs in Europe? Most people suggest the cardas plugs, but i can only found some on e-bay. ​

1) Type 3/550 should do it.  I've used it with four stripped but still twisted wires from Mogami W2799.
2) Type 1.  I used 95 lbs cord for individual wires.
3) Don't know.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,849 of 10,535
  Does anyone know where i can find paracord type 1 in Europe? I can't find it.  It's like type 1 doesn't exists o.O
(i found 100ft on amazon.co.uk but i don't want that much :\ )

eBay is your friend.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2,850 of 10,535
I hope this is appropriate for this thread.  

Basically, I need to replace the Cardas connectors on my "custom" cables for Sennheiser HD-25-1 II.  I contacted various professional cable makers, including the original producer, but everyone wanted me to buy new cables, which seems wasteful to me.

Does anybody either (i) know someone who'd be willing to replace the Cardas connectors, or (ii) know of detailed instructions to replace Cardas connectors?  For (ii) I assume I'd need a soldering iron, solder etc. (I just moved and have nothing here)?

[I did search for this, but perhaps because of lack of correct terminology I was unable to find what I was looking for]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back